Visa questions

alexl1993

Hey guys, looking at moving to Australia (hopefully sydney) around dec-january time, i currently work as an assistant General manager at a bar in London, im looking for more information on sponsorship jobs that would allow me to stay indefinitely? How do they work, should i be applying for them before i move or while I'm there on a work visa? and how long does it take roughly. thanks!

Are you a young person thinking of coming on a working holiday visa? That is what it says on the tin - work, holiday, go home. If you haven't got a skill that's in the list (and it would be hard to imagine that assistant bar manager would be on there) then your best bet in the longer run would be to look towards getting a skill that's in demand. For sponsorship an employer has to prove that they can't find local talent to do the job and they have to be able to demonstrate that they've really tried.  I don't fancy your chances of staying indefinitely - one year if you don't do your regional work and 2 years if you do, then you go home. Remember too that on the WHV you can only work for one employer for 6 months.

19 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Are you a young person thinking of coming on a working holiday visa? That is what it says on the tin - work, holiday, go home. If you haven't got a skill that's in the list (and it would be hard to imagine that assistant bar manager would be on there) then your best bet in the longer run would be to look towards getting a skill that's in demand. For sponsorship an employer has to prove that they can't find local talent to do the job and they have to be able to demonstrate that they've really tried.  I don't fancy your chances of staying indefinitely - one year if you don't do your regional work and 2 years if you do, then you go home. Remember too that on the WHV you can only work for one employer for 6 months.

My job description allows me to apply for a 482 visa or TSS, was more looking for information on that such as whether to try and find a company before i move or after etc as i asked

1 hour ago, alexl1993 said:

Hey guys, looking at moving to Australia (hopefully sydney) around dec-january time, i currently work as an assistant General manager at a bar in London, im looking for more information on sponsorship jobs that would allow me to stay indefinitely? How do they work, should i be applying for them before i move or while I'm there on a work visa? and how long does it take roughly. thanks!

Sorry but close to zero. Have a look at the skilled occupation lists at home affairs.gov.au. Employers can't just sponsor anyone. The government produces a list of occupations it wants. Bar tender isn't on there. They want highly skilled highly experienced migrants. 

4 hours ago, alexl1993 said:

Hey guys, looking at moving to Australia (hopefully sydney) around dec-january time, i currently work as an assistant General manager at a bar in London, im looking for more information on sponsorship jobs that would allow me to stay indefinitely? How do they work?

Employer-sponsored visas are designed to let employers fill short-term vacancies.   Employers can't sponsor just anyone:  there are lists of eligible occupations.  If your occupation isn't on one of the lists, you can't migrate.

If your occupation is on the Short-term list, you are barred from applying to stay permanently, end of story.  If your occupation is on the Medium to Long-term list, you may be eligible to apply to stay permanently if your employer is willing to sponsor you for it - but there are no guarantees.     

If you're eligible for a WHV (working holiday visa), that's your best bet.   Most people use a WHV to do casual work, but there's nothing to stop you working full-time at your usual occupation.  The only restriction is that you can't work for one employer for more than six months.  

If your occupation is on one of the lists, then you can use your time on the WHV to look for a sponsor.  

I have no idea if the OP’s job would qualify him for a visa, but if his job description is assistant general manager then I would assume he is more than a bar tender It would also depend on the size of the bar, which we don’t know.

Having a close family member in Sydney involved in the ‘bar industry’ it’s very big business, world wide well known mixologists earning very good money. So there can be a big difference to a bar tender in a small outfit, to the job description of the OP possibly. Plus He might involved on the management side of a large well known London bar?

Edited by ramot

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Employer-sponsored visas are designed to let employers fill short-term vacancies.   Employers can't sponsor just anyone:  there are lists of eligible occupations.  If your occupation isn't on one of the lists, you can't migrate.

If your occupation is on the Short-term list, you are barred from applying to stay permanently, end of story.  If your occupation is on the Medium to Long-term list, you may be eligible to apply to stay permanently if your employer is willing to sponsor you for it - but there are no guarantees.     

If you're eligible for a WHV (working holiday visa), that's your best bet.   Most people use a WHV to do casual work, but there's nothing to stop you working full-time at your usual occupation.  The only restriction is that you can't work for one employer for more than six months.  

If your occupation is on one of the lists, then you can use your time on the WHV to look for a sponsor.  

If i were to go over on a WHV and stay for say, two years after doing regional work and then get a sponsor would that allow me to stay for the extended time (ive seen that it can be 2-4 years) so potentially 4-6 in total? 

3 minutes ago, alexl1993 said:

If i were to go over on a WHV and stay for say, two years after doing regional work and then get a sponsor would that allow me to stay for the extended time (ive seen that it can be 2-4 years) so potentially 4-6 in total? 

Yes, that's certainly possible, IF your occupation is on the list.   From what Paul just posted, it may not be - so that's the first thing to establish.

If your occupation is on the list, then I would be looking for a sponsor as soon as you arrive on the WHV., because the regional work is a pretty dismal experience by all accounts so why put yourself through it?    If you can find an employer sponsor and they're happy with you, they can renew your visa more than once, so you could potentially get several years out of it.

10 minutes ago, alexl1993 said:

Probably time you pay a MARRA registered professional some money to explore your options mate.

That would be a few tenners well spent. What's that cost equivalent to? Dinner out at a decent restaurant?

• Like 2