Price of a 20ft container UK to Oz

Silver_Swan

Hello,

We've had a couple of quotes - PSS and ReloUK both have come in at £4k for a 20ft container from UK (Hampshire) to Oz (Sydney).

Has anyone got lower prices from other movers?

Any idea if the prices are negotiable? One mover said we had a "really easy move" because we've got plenty of space compared to the amount we're taking and most stuff is already in boxes anyway.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just make sure you are quoting like for like.  Is this door to door? Any extra for issues with access or high floors? All packing materials included? Packing and unpacking?dismantling and rebuilding furniture?  Also how fast is the shipping? Ask to see the intended ship and timings.  Cheaper quotes often use slower routes.  Which company do they use in Australia to handle the goods.

Also consider taking independent insurance, this is cheaper and just as goood.

Don’t forget the additional fees payable in Australia to clear customs.

58 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Just make sure you are quoting like for like.  Is this door to door? Any extra for issues with access or high floors? All packing materials included? Packing and unpacking?dismantling and rebuilding furniture?  Also how fast is the shipping? Ask to see the intended ship and timings.  Cheaper quotes often use slower routes.  Which company do they use in Australia to handle the goods.

Also consider taking independent insurance, this is cheaper and just as goood.

Don’t forget the additional fees payable in Australia to clear customs.

Thank you - there's a few questions in there I haven't thought to ask...

The two I've had are door-to-door, including packing and unpacking and all materials. Extra to pay if we end up on a high floor in an apartment.

With regard to speed of shipping, both have said similar, but one company told me no direct sailings exist anymore between UK and Oz, and often they go via Singapore - I'm not sure if this is true or not?!

Hello @Silver_Swan - as FYI we just got a quote from PSS for 20ft of £3895 door to door but for 844 cubic feet. Packing and unpacking though I also referred my father there so they have potentially knocked off a bit more. Insurance on top.  

Robinsons for us came in fairly more expensive.

They charge based on the cubic foot FYI. 

We ended up going with PSS 40ft 844 cubic feet plus our car for £4997.  My parents quote for 40ft 2100 cubic feet (so no car and the full 40ft used for household goods) was £6124.  

Their packers were very good, efficient and friendly.  We drop off the car next week and then the container will get sent off - no complaints so far.  

58 minutes ago, Abags said:

Hello @Silver_Swan - as FYI we just got a quote from PSS for 20ft of £3895 door to door but for 844 cubic feet. Packing and unpacking though I also referred my father there so they have potentially knocked off a bit more. Insurance on top.  

Robinsons for us came in fairly more expensive.

They charge based on the cubic foot FYI. 

We ended up going with PSS 40ft 844 cubic feet plus our car for £4997.  My parents quote for 40ft 2100 cubic feet (so no car and the full 40ft used for household goods) was £6124.  

Their packers were very good, efficient and friendly.  We drop off the car next week and then the container will get sent off - no complaints so far.  

Thanks! We have a similar amount - 750 cubic feet, they said it wasn’t any cheaper for us to share a container and we might as well just have the whole container. I looked back at the quote and it’s actually £4300 - so ~£500 more than yours! Not sure if they add extra for location in the UK? Are you going to Sydney? 

Just now, Abags said:

@Silver_Swan We are London to Sydney CBD.  Yep it makes sense for your size to have the 20ft completely.  

I would go back to them and say you are getting quotations from another company too.  I cant imagine the additional transport within the UK is that much.

We're only 50 minutes outside of London, arguably it's probably easier to get from here than anywhere central London down to Dover or Southampton... 😉

I've got one more quote waiting to come back, then I'll start trying to negotiate, see what I can do!

Sorry to jump in on this but we’re planning to go on the 1st September and not sure how long I should leave to start to organise this stuff. Also we might air B&B when we first get there so we can look at where we would want to live so will they hold it until your ready and know where you want it delivered to?

38 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

Sorry to jump in on this but we’re planning to go on the 1st September and not sure how long I should leave to start to organise this stuff. Also we might air B&B when we first get there so we can look at where we would want to live so will they hold it until your ready and know where you want it delivered to?

You don't need a lot of time, most have told us two weeks notice of when we want to go. Longer is better for them to plan (particularly shared container).

You need the visa approved for them to ship it, and they can store it in the UK or in Aus (for a fee of course) we've been quoted to ground floor door within 30km of Sydney. If we end up in a flat or a different city (which we won't because my husbands job is Sydney) then there's extra to pay. If you have somewhere to stay in the UK short-term the ideal thing is to send the container before you, we don't have that luxury, so I'm not sure what we'll do for the 2-3mths while we wait for it.

On 28/12/2019 at 23:38, Silver_Swan said:

Thank you - there's a few questions in there I haven't thought to ask...

The two I've had are door-to-door, including packing and unpacking and all materials. Extra to pay if we end up on a high floor in an apartment.

With regard to speed of shipping, both have said similar, but one company told me no direct sailings exist anymore between UK and Oz, and often they go via Singapore - I'm not sure if this is true or not?!

There are many direct sailings between the UK and Australia. What he meant to say was the shipping line they use no longer sails direct - it's probably true that if they don't go direct, Singapore makes a decent stop point

(Basically fill the ship 50/50 with stuff from UK going to Singapore and Australia. When you get to Singapore, offload the stuff for there and take on extra cargo going to Sydney)

If I had a choice I'd avoid the shippers that stop elsewhere, too much chance of your container ending up in the wrong country

8 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

There are many direct sailings between the UK and Australia. What he meant to say was the shipping line they use no longer sails direct - it's probably true that if they don't go direct, Singapore makes a decent stop point

(Basically fill the ship 50/50 with stuff from UK going to Singapore and Australia. When you get to Singapore, offload the stuff for there and take on extra cargo going to Sydney)

If I had a choice I'd avoid the shippers that stop elsewhere, too much chance of your container ending up in the wrong country

Thanks, so far all have said it goes via Asia... any ideas on companies that go direct?

• 2 weeks later...
You don't need a lot of time, most have told us two weeks notice of when we want to go. Longer is better for them to plan (particularly shared container).
You need the visa approved for them to ship it, and they can store it in the UK or in Aus (for a fee of course) we've been quoted to ground floor door within 30km of Sydney. If we end up in a flat or a different city (which we won't because my husbands job is Sydney) then there's extra to pay. If you have somewhere to stay in the UK short-term the ideal thing is to send the container before you, we don't have that luxury, so I'm not sure what we'll do for the 2-3mths while we wait for it.

We have the visas granted so that’s all good and we’ve set the date for September so we can really get stuff sorted but it’s all up in the air until we know about jobs etc. She’s waiting until March to tell her bosses and they might offer her a roll as they have offices in Sydney. If not she will look for a new job and hopefully get one offered before we leave but until that’s sorted no point in looking where to live. I guess we will air B and B for three or four weeks then rent permanently.

• 1 month later...

We used John Masons before who were excellent (2011).  My brother also used them.

However, having read some reviews within the last year, there are many negative reviews so I think I will shop around.  PSS will be one of them, so anyone that has used them could you please state your review please?

Any other recommendations please?

We will be UK (East Sussex) to Perth.

TIA XX

• 2 weeks later...

Our shipping with PSS was sent 13th Jan and arrived in Sydney on 27 Feb so extremely quick.   Its being delivered next week so ill keep you posted on what it looks like. 

Some companies also offer free storage on both sides too FYI. 

• Congratulations 1

On 05/03/2020 at 04:31, Abags said:

Our shipping with PSS was sent 13th Jan and arrived in Sydney on 27 Feb so extremely quick.   Its being delivered next week so ill keep you posted on what it looks like. 

Some companies also offer free storage on both sides too FYI. 

May i ask what your quote was please?

John mason i think include 1 month free storage.

• 2 months later...
On 29/12/2019 at 06:30, Silver_Swan said:

Hello,

We've had a couple of quotes - PSS and ReloUK both have come in at £4k for a 20ft container from UK (Hampshire) to Oz (Sydney).

Has anyone got lower prices from other movers?

Any idea if the prices are negotiable? One mover said we had a "really easy move" because we've got plenty of space compared to the amount we're taking and most stuff is already in boxes anyway.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this - I had the same quote from PSS and exactly the same question. I emailed them the other day to see if they were still shipping and the answer was 'yes'. When I enquired about dates they said 'take your pick', which suggests they are pretty slack at the moment. Given the current situation there might even be a bit of movement on prices??

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Been a while since this thread had any action but will post here anyway. 

Looking to move the Family to Australia in Feb. House sale going thru now so need to get shipping sorted ASAP. Outer London to Brisbane is the plan. 

I have PSS coming around for a quote next week and given Covid, I'm suspecting it will be more expensive than what was listed above. Cant fight bad luck I guess. 

I too am looking at a 40ft container with a car as well. Any pitfalls or positives in getting cars in? I see that as long as I've owned it for over 1 year I can take 1 car but I'm confused on how the Australian customs will value it? List price when new or second-hand value?

Also, someone said you need to list every single item that goes into the container on a manifest? it that the truth? going to be a bloody long list. 

any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated. 

Cheers

Charlie

6 hours ago, Time to Jump said:

I too am looking at a 40ft container with a car as well. Any pitfalls or positives in getting cars in?

For the car import check out this thread by the knowledgeable PIOer,  Iron Chef:

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/63748-transporting-your-car-to-oz-everything-you-need-to-know/

PS:  Oh - I see you have already posted there!

Edited by Skani