Potential move to Toowoomba

Joyssosimple

Hello all

I have read the previous forum discussions about life in Toowoomba with some interest as there is the opportunity for my husband to apply for a job in Toowoomba. We are a family of four with two kids aged 11 & 4. Some of the form discussions about life in Toowoomba are a few years old so I was hoping to get an updated view on how life is in Toowoomba especially related to education, opportunities for children, crime, weather and good areas to live in.  We are in Scotland and if all goes through then we might be looking at a move in about 6 months or so. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Joyssosimple said:

Hello all

I have read the previous forum discussions about life in Toowoomba with some interest as there is the opportunity for my husband to apply for a job in Toowoomba. We are a family of four with two kids aged 11 & 4. Some of the form discussions about life in Toowoomba are a few years old so I was hoping to get an updated view on how life is in Toowoomba especially related to education, opportunities for children, crime, weather and good areas to live in.  We are in Scotland and if all goes through then we might be looking at a move in about 6 months or so. 

Do you have a visa which allows you to live in Australia?

If not, then the employer will have to apply to sponsor your husband for a temporary visa.  It will be for either 2 or 4 years, and then you MIGHT, if you are lucky, be able to apply to get a permanent visa.  But there is no guarantee you'll be eligible to apply, and if you can apply, there is no guarantee you'll be successful. 

I mention this because there's a widespread myth that if you can get an employer-sponsored visa, it gives you a good chance of migrating to Australia permanently. 

Thank you @starlight7 @Marisawright for replying. Visa hopefully should not be an issue as the company will be sponsoring us. 
 At the moment our concern is how it will be for our preteen son. I read in another forum that there isn’t much for teenagers to do and that is what is giving me some cause for worry . My son is a sensitive boy and doesn’t mix that easily. I worry that he might be the one who finds it the most difficult to adjust. The post I read was written by a teenager hence the worry that my son would struggle the most if there’s not much to do. Especially as we are coming from Glasgow which is more than 3times bigger in population than Toowoomba. 

Hopefully forum users from Toowoomba will be able to give me a better idea of the lifestyle and options for teenagers. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

In that case the visa will not be a problem BUT it will only be temporary for 2 to 4 years. 

The employer is under no obligation to sponsor you for a permanent visa even if they are saying they will. That promise has no legal standing.

Also the rules change almost every year and many people find they’re no longer eligible by the time they’re eligible to apply, and there’s nothing the employer can do about that.

An employer-sponsored visa can be the opportunity for a great adventure but you should assume you’ll go home at the end, and plan accordingly. Then if you can apply for the permanent visa, it’s a bonus

Edited by Marisawright

• 3 weeks later...

Toowoomba is a rapidly growing city and is the second biggest inland city in Australia (after Canberra). Nearly 150,000 people now call it home. It has some of the best schools in Queensland (children come from far and wide to live there), has a HUGE shopping centre, lovely parks and is only about an hour and a half to Brisbane. It can get VERY cold and foggy in the winter and VERY hot in the summer (being inland and high up). Crime rate is about average for Queensland which seems to be rising everywhere to be honest.

Rangeville is a nice suburb as is South Toowoomba. Consider Westbrook and Mount Lofty also. Avoid Wilsonton and Newtown if you can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, aja675 said:

BTW, why does Homely hate the hell out of this place? https://www.homely.com.au/toowoomba-city-toowoomba-darling-downs-queensland

Some people are at their happiest when they are whinging and whining.  I've never lived there but I've visited a couple of times and as far as big country towns in Australia go, it's not a bad place at all.  If you are a big city type of person and enjoy all the stuff that big cities give you then Toowoomba is not the place for you.  It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I know this is an old post but I stumbled upon it and wondered how things are going? Did you make the move and how are you finding it? 

My family and I will be moving there in June after quarantine in Brisbane and would love some advice on the area if you're there 🙂

• Like 1

Hi, we are still in the UK. We have our flights booked for the first week of May so less than 4 weeks to go for it to become real !
We are flying from Edinburgh. Toowoomba is our final destination as well. Hopefully see you there. 
How are your preparations coming along? 

• Congratulations 1

On 02/02/2020 at 17:05, aja675 said:

BTW, why does Homely hate the hell out of this place? https://www.homely.com.au/toowoomba-city-toowoomba-darling-downs-queensland

Seems a pretty fair summation. I've worked in Oakey a few times and stayed in Toowoomba. If they had sent us there to live when we emigrated I reckon we would have moved back.

Boring 1.5 hour drive from Brissie, with nothing worth stopping for on the way, not much to see or do at all in Toowoomba, a recreation centre with a decent pool, decent restaurants though. 

God knows what the youngsters do for entertainment, see a lot just hanging round the streets at night. 

If I was there over weekends I'd drive to the Gold Coast and stay there for the weekend. Could stay at the Crowne Plaza on the Gold Coast cheaper than staying in Central Apartments in Toowoomba. Suited work as they were paying and there's loads to do on the Gold Coast.

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Seems a pretty fair summation. I've worked in Oakey a few times and stayed in Toowoomba. If they had sent us there to live when we emigrated I reckon we would have moved back.

Boring 1.5 hour drive from Brissie, with nothing worth stopping for on the way, not much to see or do at all in Toowoomba, a recreation centre with a decent pool, decent restaurants though. 

God knows what the youngsters do for entertainment, see a lot just hanging round the streets at night. 

If I was there over weekends I'd drive to the Gold Coast and stay there for the weekend. Could stay at the Crowne Plaza on the Gold Coast cheaper than staying in Central Apartments in Toowoomba. Suited work as they were paying and there's loads to do on the Gold Coast.

When where you last there Paul? 

Its grown loads over the last 12/18 mth and i think the population of Toowoomba is now somewhere around 120.000. Its no longer that little town you want to just drive through. I am only mentioning it to give the flip side as if i was the OP your comments would scare the hell out of me right now. I haven't spent lots of time there, more just stopping for food and a leg stretch when passing through but i do know a couple of families who have moved from the Gold Coast to there and are very happy. Personally i would rather raise my children in somewhere like Toowoomba than on the Gold Coast if they were my 2 choices.

Cal x

• Like 1

19 hours ago, calNgary said:

When where you last there Paul? 

Its grown loads over the last 12/18 mth and i think the population of Toowoomba is now somewhere around 120.000. Its no longer that little town you want to just drive through. I am only mentioning it to give the flip side as if i was the OP your comments would scare the hell out of me right now. I haven't spent lots of time there, more just stopping for food and a leg stretch when passing through but i do know a couple of families who have moved from the Gold Coast to there and are very happy. Personally i would rather raise my children in somewhere like Toowoomba than on the Gold Coast if they were my 2 choices.

Cal x

I was last there about 3 years ago. Can't see the size of it making much difference TBH. 

If I had choice of raising kids I'd pick Gold Coast any day. Ocean, surf clubs, places to go, bright and busy streets at night. I know there's a lot more drinking and clubbing but getting kids involved in sport would be a lot easier on the Gold Coast.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20/01/2020 at 18:12, BobHatton said:

Toowoomba is a rapidly growing city and is the second biggest inland city in Australia (after Canberra). Nearly 150,000 people now call it home. It has some of the best schools in Queensland (children come from far and wide to live there), has a HUGE shopping centre, lovely parks and is only about an hour and a half to Brisbane. It can get VERY cold and foggy in the winter and VERY hot in the summer (being inland and high up). Crime rate is about average for Queensland which seems to be rising everywhere to be honest.

Rangeville is a nice suburb as is South Toowoomba. Consider Westbrook and Mount Lofty also. Avoid Wilsonton and Newtown if you can.

How cold is VERY cold...are we talking minus temperatures with frost in winter?

• 2 weeks later...