Advice on Visa eligibility

CharleyP

Hi, I have been trying to see what our chances are of emigrating to Australia are and have done a few assessments with Migration Agents but they all seem to say something different, and are a bit vague on the details. I am not sure what the best route is and what our chances truly are. Its myself and my partner, and I think I should get the following points. 

Age - 15
English - 20 (assuming, I work in communications/PR so would be ashamed if I didn't get this!)
Work Experience - 15
Degree - 15

My partner doesn't have many points as he only have about five years experience, and we've been told that he would need at least a HND in the same field as his work (Community Worker - he's a Housing Officer). He only has a Certificate of Higher Education in Sports Science. 

My other question is points for state nomination. If you need at least 75/80 to get state nomination, is that before the state nominates you or do you include 15 points in that total? 

Any honest advice is much appreciated. If we don't have any chance, it would be better to know now before we start spending money on applications etc. 

If you have a state nomination you only need the minimum 65 points, including the state nomination points, from the Commonwealth immigration perspective; however, each state may set its own thresholds for nominating particular roles. 
It’s a bit difficult to give much more detailed feedback based on the information you posted. 

OK thanks Paul, that's good to know, appreciate your response. Are you able to advise what other information I need to take into account or research? I've looked at the SA state occupation list and my occupation is on the list but doesn't state any threshold for points. I am not sure how likely it is that I would get state nomination if I put in an EOI. Am guessing as well I could only try for a 491 visa.  Sorry, I've done lots of research on the internet but its hard to know in practice how much of a chance I have. 

The best advice is to call/email a migration agent and have a full and open discussion with them about your circumstances and wants.

They'll be able to tell you pretty quickly if you have no chance (it will take more delving to determine how likely a chance is to come to fruition though)

Most agents will offer a free initial discussion to determine if it is worth progressing at all. After that quick chat you'll have a better idea and then also be able to decide if you go ahead, and if you do go ahead whether you go it alone or engage an agent.

It's perfectly acceptable and achievable to apply without help, although it's a lot of work and research, we used an agent simply because once we looked at how long we thought it would take to do the work and compared it to the cost of getting someone else to help it made sense to engage an agent as we valued our time higher than the agent wanted to charge for theirs (put simply)

Thanks Ausvisitor - we had a few initial assessments done online but the agents coming back were quite vague and wanted to charge a couple of hundred quid to tell us more. I absolutely understand they can't give advice away for free and don't mind paying, but if there was no chance of being eligible then I didn't want to spend it. If you can recommend your agent then let me know and I will try to set up a call with them. 

After being on the forum for many many years both as a member and as a moderator. The best advice I would give is to appoint a registered migration agent to deal with the application. Yes, you will pay for this. But, it is sooooo easy now to make a very costly mistake and in the grand scheme of the costs involved in migration, even a couple of grand in agents fees is a drop in the ocean. 

6 hours ago, CharleyP said:

Thanks Ausvisitor - we had a few initial assessments done online but the agents coming back were quite vague and wanted to charge a couple of hundred quid to tell us more. I absolutely understand they can't give advice away for free and don't mind paying, but if there was no chance of being eligible then I didn't want to spend it. If you can recommend your agent then let me know and I will try to set up a call with them. 

paulhand above is an agent 

@CharleyP, if agents are being vague then there's a couple of possibilities. 

The first is that you've happened to ring the wrong kind of agencies - often the ones who pay for ads to appear at the top of Google Search, but are charlatans.   

The other is that your chances are borderline, but they're not willing to say so because they want your business.

Either way, your best bet now is to approach one of the agents on that list, because they all offer a free initial consultation and will be honest with you if you don't stand a chance.

I agree with Marisa and it does depend what sort of ‘assessment’ you have done. Skilled migration is extremely complex, particularly for clients who do not have an easy and obvious pathway. Unless an agent has all the information they need, they are necessarily going to be vague. There are hundreds of occupations on the lists, a number of types of visa, half a dozen States each with their own criteria for each visa class, a slew of different skills assessment authorities and so on. There are literally thousands of permutations and a “free” consultation can only go so far. You should be able to get a “no chance” or a “definitely worth further work” answer from an initial discussion, but there is a lot of work involved in a properly researched and comprehensive pathway advice and you will have to pay for that.