Entering Australia once you have an invitation to apply...

James H

I think Martina has hit the nail on the head. The long waiting times are quite a recent phenomenon and many people are unaware of the delays when applying, so they don’t even consider the option of applying onshore. When the wait was shorter, there was no real advantage to applying onshore, as most people need a few months to prepare for such a big move anyway

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think Martina has hit the nail on the head. The long waiting times are quite a recent phenomenon and many people are unaware of the delays when applying, so they don’t even consider the option of applying onshore. When the wait was shorter, there was no real advantage to applying onshore, as most people need a few months to prepare for such a big move anyway

.............  and I don't know how much of this is true.  https://www.sbs.com.au/news/fears-government-s-outsourcing-of-visa-processing-just-a-privatisation-smokescreen

12 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Yes and no.

The Regulations determine what conditions must and can be applied.

For example, if going from a visitor visa to a partner visa, the bridging visa will have no work restrictions attached.

And that is the point I was trying to make for James. The quote he used is from a section of an agent's website which os talking about Partner Visas, NOT skilled visas. 

13 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

And that is the point I was trying to make for James. The quote he used is from a section of an agent's website which os talking about Partner Visas, NOT skilled visas. 

Can anybody shed any light on it for a skilled visa ? 

It would seem this has always been around but @Marisawright made an interesting point. A while ago it didn’t matter because the wait time was significantly less than it is today. 

1 hour ago, James H said:

Can anybody shed any light on it for a skilled visa ? 

It would seem this has always been around but @Marisawright made an interesting point. A while ago it didn’t matter because the wait time was significantly less than it is today. 

For a 189/190 if you apply onshore while holding a valid visa (eg tourist visa) you get a BVA which kicks in when the other visa expires and carries the same conditions as the other visa. 

You might get permission to work if you can prove extreme hardship.

Wait times are irrelevant - only a few years back it took 2-3 years regularly to get a skils visa, and the Bridging Visa conditions were the same then

Edited by Nemesis