When to apply for citizenship

AnnetteV

I hope all are keeping well.

I’m wondering if anyone  can recommend any immigration lawyer? I have some questions about when to apply for Australian citizenship? I still have a year or so to go with PR, I think but as I’m a planner I would like to know for more certainty. Plus I believe there is a long waiting period after submitting the application.

many thanks.

You don't need an immigration lawyer to help you with citizenship.  The rules are very clear.   

If you do want professional help, then consult a migration agent not a lawyer, they are more knowledgeable.  I think you've already had discussions with Paul Hand on these forums, he is an agent.

• Like 1

It is actually very simple. I completed me and my wife's application in an hour or two on line one Sunday afternoon after too many glasses of wine. It is nothing like a visa application. 

There are some long waits - you should expect at least a year. Possibly two. But, there isn't a lot you can do about it. The department don't prioritise them and then you have to wait for your council to allocate a slot for the ceremony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnnetteV said:

Many thanks. I think I will do it myself too.

My main question is when to apply, do I have to wait until I have lived here four years or can I apply after 3 years giving the waiting time.

You have to do the four years residency and I believe you can’t count periods spent outside Australia 

• Like 1