You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

75 years ago today, the biggest invasion the world has seen.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

My 95 year old dad watched the ceremony on TV today., I'm sure that in his mind he is still the 20 year old who landed on Sword on DDay+1. I had hoped my husband might take him on the British Legion ship but really he wouldn't have coped with a week of ceremonies unfortunately.  

Those lads were all so young and I don't know how Theresa May read that letter f of in a soldiers pocket unposted to his wife. The bloke  was in dad's corps - I would have been a blubbering mess trying to read it. 

The Queen was right, it was her generation we should be proud of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

My 95 year old dad watched the ceremony on TV today., I'm sure that in his mind he is still the 20 year old who landed on Sword on DDay+1. I had hoped my husband might take him on the British Legion ship but really he wouldn't have coped with a week of ceremonies unfortunately.  

Those lads were all so young and I don't know how Theresa May read that letter f of in a soldiers pocket unposted to his wife. The bloke  was in dad's corps - I would have been a blubbering mess trying to read it. 

The Queen was right, it was her generation we should be proud of.

Made me think about my father’s part in the war yesterday, as he was in the parachute regiment.

• Like 3

Hi all. New here. God bless all the veterans. they were (and are) indeed the proudest generation.

• Like 2

Bottler's Dad was in the Air Force and a fighter pilot in the D Day landings.  Bottler's Dad was killed in this battle.   Bottler is having issues with posting and liking posts on PIO at the moment... something that @Cerberus1 is now trying to fix.  

Because of your problem with not being able to post etc  Bottler, I hope you are OK that I have posted for you.   We all salute your Dad.   xxxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

On 06/06/2019 at 05:25, newjez said:

I do think Italy gets overlooked though.

@newjez, I read a bit about Anzio and can understand why, now. Not a very good win, by all accounts due to some rather egotistical generals...

Cheers, Bobj.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bobj said:

@newjez, I read a bit about Anzio and can understand why, now. Not a very good win, by all accounts due to some rather egotistical generals...

Cheers, Bobj.

Looks like a re run of Gallipoli. Italy certainly wasn't an easy campaign. Without it, the battle for France would have been much harder. I remember reading spike Milligan's diaries on the Italian campaign. Very interesting read.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1