Applying for child’s citizenship when both parents PR

Ballaratburd

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. Both my husband and I are permanent residents and our baby was born in Sep 2018 in Melbourne. I need to apply for an Australia passport for him and it’s unclear online whether I have to apply for the citizenship certificate for him or if his birth certificate is sufficient evidence. Can anyone shed some light? I don’t want to pay $190 for the certificate if I don’t need to.

TIA

We found that to apply for the citizenship certificate they needed to see a passport, but to apply for a passport they needed a citizenship certificate! This was in 2015. 

Because we arrived in oz and didn’t have the stamps in our passports, the passport agency (if that’s what they’re called) wouldn’t accept our PR letters as proof of our permanent residency. They obviously hadnt updated their systems to reflect the fact that immigration don’t do stamps in passports anymore. So that’s why we needed to apply for a citizenship certificate in the first place.

Anyway, to cut a long story short we applied for the citizenship certificate and had to write a letter to accompany the application explaining the above. We were then able to get our daughter a passport. 

Hopefully things are a bit simpler now!

Not really simpler. It appears i need to apply for a citizenship certificate for him, and have to send in an identity form for the baby, proof of our PR status and his birth certificate (all certified of course) not that any of this surprises me. If there is a way of making things complicated the Aussies will always do it [emoji849]

16 minutes ago, Ballaratburd said:

Not really simpler. It appears i need to apply for a citizenship certificate for him, and have to send in an identity form for the baby, proof of our PR status and his birth certificate (all certified of course) not that any of this surprises me. If there is a way of making things complicated the Aussies will always do it emoji849.png

Do you really think the process in the UK is any simpler?

It sounds to me like "Evidence of Citizenship" does not equal "Certificate of Citizenship"?🤔🤔

Also sounds just as complex as registering a child born in UK to one or both nom british born parents... i think lets cut the Aussies slack where we can... 😊

Then slate them 50% more where they deserve😂😂😂😂

On 22/04/2019 at 13:08, wrussell said:

My most recent (online) Evidence of Citizenship application was approved in two days and the Evidence arrived by post a few days later.

Hi , my son's application for evidence of citizenship was approved on 29th April 2019(last Monday). Could you give me idea how long it can take to arrive by post? I was expecting it to arrive today but it didn't. Worst part department didn't give me any  tracking number. 

9 hours ago, wrussell said:

Australia Post are not noted for timely delivery.

You know what they were not happy to do passport photos of baby . Checked with two places and they both refused by saying it’s hard for them because baby’s photos are hard to do.

I have to move to different place on Monday and it’s public holiday here in QLD.  Don’t know if they can deliver on Tuesday.