Can a holder of a 143 Parent Visa sponsor a spouse visa?

johnw1188

My wife is a holder of 143 Parent Contributory visa. She has been holding this visa for more than five years already. Currently she is working and has a permanent place to stay as well in Australia.

Can she sponsor me as a partner visa under subclass 820/801? I have been commuting on a tourist visa to be with her and my two working children in Australia. Any advise

31 minutes ago, johnw1188 said:

My wife is a holder of 143 Parent Contributory visa. She has been holding this visa for more than five years already. Currently she is working and has a permanent place to stay as well in Australia.

Can she sponsor me as a partner visa under subclass 820/801? I have been commuting on a tourist visa to be with her and my two working children in Australia. Any advise

Quite sure she can’t. Why didn’t you get a 143 parent visa? There used to be a loophole whereby one parent got the parent visa and then got the other parent a partner/spouse visa. This saved a lot of money but was stopped many years ago. 

56 minutes ago, johnw1188 said:

What other options do I have since now I am the only family members that is not in Australia? Any advise.

Why didn’t you apply for a 143 like your wife did? When she applied for hers what did she say about why you weren’t going to Oz as it would have been asked 

Edited by Tulip1

8 hours ago, johnw1188 said:

this question was asked a few years ago, An MA replied think it was Alan Collett who replied? Sorry Alan if that is incorrect. This loophole was stopped a while ago. When you think about it, it was a way of trying to rort the system, paying the amount of approx $43,000 for one parent and then only paying the approx $7,000 for a partner visa, saving about $36,000. Not fair on the parents applying correctly.

Any reason why the OP didn’t also apply for the parent visa originally? 

9 hours ago, johnw1188 said:

Yes, she should now be able to sponsor you for a partner visa.

Best regards.

15 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Yes, she should now be able to sponsor you for a partner visa.

Best regards.

Sorry if I mentioned you before and I was wrong. So potentially could any parent applicant go this route and save money? Or are these circumstances different. Already in the queue so  just a general question. Thanks

Just now, ramot said:

Sorry if I mentioned you before and I was wrong. So potentially could any parent applicant go this route and save money? Or are these circumstances different. Already in the queue so  just a general question. Thanks

There's now a wait of at least 5 years before a Contributory Parent visa holder can sponsor a partner/spouse for a partner visa.

Best regards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ramot said:

Yes, but since there's a 5-year waiting period after the 143 is granted, it's a pretty inconvenient way to go for most people.

31 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Yes, but since there's a 5-year waiting period after the 143 is granted, it's a pretty inconvenient way to go for most people.

Agree 5 years plus partner visa wait and then concerns for health as older. Who knows what other changes would happen in that time scale.

On 09/04/2019 at 16:30, Tulip1 said:

I guess the fact the OP has mentioned she’s had it 5 years means he probably knows that’s the timeframe and has been waiting and just visiting for five years.  It’s that’s the case I wonder what he was actually asking

Be interesting to see how the explain the time spent apart, and how the can justify a genuine ongoing relationship when they've been living apart for 5 years.  

• Like 3

Be interesting to see how the explain the time spent apart, and how the can justify a genuine ongoing relationship when they've been living apart for 5 years.  

There are various strategies available to deal with this.

Which one to select depends on the particulars of the case.