AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

29 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Given that me and the OH are (hopefully) within the last month or two of our wait, it's getting to the 'obsessive checking stage' I'm sure we're all so used to from our immigration journeys... I wonder if i can lighten the mood (and waste some thumb-twiddling time) by posing a question to the group -

➡️ What are your plans for your citizenship ceremony day?

We'll hopefully have the in-laws visiting from the UK over our ceremony, so they'll be joining us. Aside from them we'll almost certainly max-out our invite allowance with close friends and others who have helped us along the way. 

Ceremonies in our area are late afternoon/early evening, and always during the week, so we'll likely get off work early and have a drink in a pub nearby, then go out for some food as a group after.

My UK passport expires in about 4 months, so i'm keen to order both new UK and Aus passports at the same time and have them both brand new (hopefully with a good photo this time!). I think that'd be a really nice touch at the end of this 7 year journey!

So what are you all going to get up to?

The actual ceremony has always seemed so far away that I haven't given it much thought. I'll probably just accept my certificate and then go home to catch up on all the missed sleep caused from all the stress of this whole process.lol.

Good news is that I have completed test and there is no wait time in my council as very few apply for citizenship here. Bad news is that despite completing the test, still awaiting approval. Sadly when one takes a test at a regional DHS office as opposed to a DOHA office you can't get approved on the same day like so many other applicants seem to be experiencing. I have a feeling my application has gone back into a pile somewhere patiently awaiting for someone to glance at it.

Thinking they should make applying for citizenship an Olympic event, it's definitely just as difficult as a marathon and with a lot of hurdles thrown in.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Given that me and the OH are (hopefully) within the last month or two of our wait, it's getting to the 'obsessive checking stage' I'm sure we're all so used to from our immigration journeys... I wonder if i can lighten the mood (and waste some thumb-twiddling time) by posing a question to the group -

We'll hopefully have the in-laws visiting from the UK over our ceremony, so they'll be joining us. Aside from them we'll almost certainly max-out our invite allowance with close friends and others who have helped us along the way. 

Ceremonies in our area are late afternoon/early evening, and always during the week, so we'll likely get off work early and have a drink in a pub nearby, then go out for some food as a group after.

My UK passport expires in about 4 months, so i'm keen to order both new UK and Aus passports at the same time and have them both brand new (hopefully with a good photo this time!). I think that'd be a really nice touch at the end of this 7 year journey!

Hi. We are having our ceremony on Australia Day, ours is early afternoon so planning to do the aussie thing after it and visit the local pub for a parma and pot with some family and friends!

Planning to apply for an Aus passport first thing on the 28...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ausa0000 said:

Bad news is that despite completing the test, still awaiting approval. Sadly when one takes a test at a regional DHS office as opposed to a DOHA office you can't get approved on the same day like so many other applicants seem to be experiencing. I have a feeling my application has gone back into a pile somewhere patiently awaiting for someone to glance at it.

How long since your test? I thought that too, i got that dread of a 'never ending black hole' somewhere with my app in it, especially after my OH's got approved the same day as her test. Low and behold though, within about 10 working days it switched to approved. Hang in there!

Edited by millski88

6 minutes ago, millski88 said:

How long since your test? I thought that too, i got that dread of a 'never ending black hole' somewhere with my app in it, especially after my OH's got approved the same day as her test. Low and behold though, within about 10 working days it switched to approved. Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah its only been about 10 days for me at the moment, lol, it just feels like an eternity. Maybe they're just hesitant to let any more Americans in😆

• Haha 1

Has anyone here renewed a passport before it had expired (in anticipation of it expiring)? 

If so, what options did you choose when updating you PR application on the immi site (i'm assuming this is where we update this information)? 

- The current passport is still valid for a year, however, we had to get a new one early due to the time it takes to get one (from South Africa) and due to an upcoming international trip, which states you're not allowed to travel on a passport that only has 6 months left. 

Or, do I just leave these (not updated) until it expires? 

image.png.3abe12026568486ef15aa29adbc99086.png

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

Has anyone here renewed a passport before it had expired (in anticipation of it expiring)? 

If so, what options did you choose when updating you PR application on the immi site (i'm assuming this is where we update this information)? 

- The current passport is still valid for a year, however, we had to get a new one early due to the time it takes to get one (from South Africa) and due to an upcoming international trip, which states you're not allowed to travel on a passport that only has 6 months left. 

Or, do I just leave these (not updated) until it expires? 

image.png.3abe12026568486ef15aa29adbc99086.png

I renewed mine about 3 months early and just updated new passport number in Immi account saying the old one expired. Seemed to be no problems. Of course you'll want to be sure to hold onto the old passport as it was requested at interview to show my original entry stamps to Australia. Not sure if this is always required but was in my case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, millski88 said:

Oh I like this.

To celebrate, depending when it is I think my partner and I will go for a dinner date at one of our favourite Japanese restaurants in Melbourne (Izakaya Den - check it out!).  The weekend following the ceremony I think will go away for the weekend into the aussie bush, maybe camping or a tiny house, and disconnect from technology and the like, perhaps somewhere down the great ocean road.

I might even crack open the book 'Bill Bryson - Down Under' - the book that inspired me as an impressionable 12/13 year old to move to this great land of ours. 

Finally if I dont get one - I will buy myself a gum tree and try and keep it forever.

Edited by Parkesy
  • Like 3

Hello all,

When you receive an invitation for the test through email, do you also receive a message on your immi account?

At the moment, I have just one message in my immi account with the subject:

Acknowledgement of Application Received

I just want to make sure I don't miss the email. But if I do, I want to to be able to check it through immi account if there is any progress. Please guide. Thanks!

3 hours ago, millski88 said:

You can take your own for the passports now, as far as i know!

I finally found a photobooth machine which takes passport photos in Melbourne! Way cheaper than Auspost and you have the option to review and select a good one before printing. 

It's in the DFO on Spencer Street opposite Chemist Warehouse for anyone who is interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, robinoz2018 said:

I finally found a photobooth machine which takes passport photos in Melbourne! Way cheaper than Auspost and you have the option to review and select a good one before printing. 

It's in the DFO on Spencer Street opposite Chemist Warehouse for anyone who is interested. 

I was thinking you could actually take your own photo and upload it, as you can in the UK now, but i just checked and you can't here - needs to be printed.

Definitely would rather a photo booth than using an AusPost shop! Officeworks also do them a bit cheaper than AusPost i think.

3 minutes ago, millski88 said:

I was thinking you could actually take your own photo and upload it, as you can in the UK now, but i just checked and you can't here - needs to be printed.

Definitely would rather a photo booth than using an AusPost shop! Officeworks also do them a bit cheaper than AusPost i think.

The photobooth was $8 from memory and I am sure it was at least double that last time I had it done in Auspost. It surprised me how hard it was to find a booth anywhere in the CBD.

1 hour ago, robinoz2018 said:

The photobooth was $8 from memory and I am sure it was at least double that last time I had it done in Auspost. It surprised me how hard it was to find a booth anywhere in the CBD.

Yeah it's about $16 with AusPost. Better even that $8 would be the ability to take and upload yourself, like the UK passport office now allows:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/photo/how-to-take-a-photo

3 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Hello all,

When you receive an invitation for the test through email, do you also receive a message on your immi account?

At the moment, I have just one message in my immi account with the subject:

Acknowledgement of Application Received

I just want to make sure I don't miss the email. But if I do, I want to to be able to check it through immi account if there is any progress. Please guide. Thanks!

I only received an email. There was no status change and no message added in Immi account. Test email came from a strange email address but subject title read "correspondence email for test appointment". Be sure to check your email spam folder just in case.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nora said:

Supposly you are not a citizen until you attend your ceremony. 

I was just referring to being able to take your own photo for a passport application (once you're a citizen), rather than having to go and get an 'official' passport photo printed, but it turns out you can't here in Aus.