AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Had my ceremony last Monday and got the certificate straight away! ? YAY! ???

Here's my timeline:

Date Applied : Feb 2018

Online/Paper : Paper

Date received the acknowledgement : Feb 2018

Test appointment received : April 2018

Citizenship Test : May 2018 

Date of Approval : May 2018

Ceremony Invitation : Aug 2018

Date of Ceremony : September 2018

• Like 2

Almost 18 months waiting time over 14 months since successful citizenship test. No requests, nothing.
Called them when the processing time was 12 months - nothing, even didn't ask the for details.
When processing time was 15 months they checked application details and I was told: "it is only over 15 months call us when it will be over processing time by at least a month", now it is almost 18 months, they didn't even ask for details, said can't comment and that I can do nothing. A bit frustrated with the attitude.
Have two questions, how do you ask for Freedom of Information in regards of citizenship application and what does it provide in regards of the citizenship application?
Which ombudsman should I apply for investigation and how much time does it take?
Thank you!

PS: Oziee, any movements on your application?

Nah my friend, no movement for me either yet.
I really don't know what exactly going out there, it's bit of frustration and tired of thinking about.
  • Thanks 1

i rang them yesterday- brisbane office - only 3 people in queue ??!!

they said same again - dont ring until a year at least from acknowledgement ......  total processing time up to 18m now  ...cant comment on individual cases

adviced not to panic just a large backlog  and they have had a surge in applications  and no news is good news they say .....

they said if problems with application or missing stuff  etc then they will contact you early on.....

we are now 9 months in  from simple acknowledgement

i must just sit back and relax  and pay for the RRV  incase goes all the way to 18m and more 

4 hours ago, CaptainR said:

Does anyone know how long we can expect to wait between the test and the approval e-mail? My wife might need to travel overseas for medical treatment and I understand that between the test and approval you aren't supposed to travel. 

Now that one is interesting. We got ours recently on the same day as we were told by the agent doing the test. Confirmed online but got the letter 10 days later. 

Was the same for our son last November but some people on this thread have waited for months. 

I would ask at the test. You need to be onshore for approval so let them know any travel dates. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CaptainR said:

Does anyone know how long we can expect to wait between the test and the approval e-mail?

It varies due to multiple factors. There are some who gets approved on the same day and there are some who gets approved after 3 or 4 months and there are some (most of them applied during April to September 2017) who are still waiting for approval. 

In my opinion it's better to call the Human Affairs department about any travel. 

Edited by ArsalanAhmad

I'm waiting for my approval and I'm offshore (overseas) now for 15 days but didn't call immigration. As per I know we can travel overseas for short periods during we wait for approval. Is it true ?

Does anyone know that there will be any problem on my arrival ??

16 minutes ago, Oziee said:

I'm waiting for my approval and I'm offshore (overseas) now for 15 days but didn't call immigration. As per I know we can travel overseas for short periods during we wait for approval. Is it true ?

There will be no problem as long as you have a visa valid for entry. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oziee said:

Ideally you should have let them know. Approval can only be granted when you are onshore. Hopefully it shouldn’t delay things too much for you but I would prompt them if you don’t have approval a couple of weeks after your return. 

When did you do the test?  

Ideally you should have let them know. Approval can only be granted when you are onshore. Hopefully it shouldn’t delay things too much for you but I would prompt them if you don’t have approval a couple of weeks after your return. 

When did you do the test?  

Test was on 15th august 2017. I know it's been ages for few of us in this forum who are waiting for so long.

I checked vevo for visa. It confirms my current valid visa. Thats why I thought I'll be ok.

4 hours ago, Oziee said:

Test was on 15th august 2017. I know it's been ages for few of us in this forum who are waiting for so long.

I checked vevo for visa. It confirms my current valid visa. Thats why I thought I'll be ok.

So over a year from passing the test? I would chase it once you are back in Australia. I really don’t understand why it can take so long for some when others like me were approved the same day!

• Like 1

So over a year from passing the test? I would chase it once you are back in Australia. I really don’t understand why it can take so long for some when others like me were approved the same day!

I know that many applicants get approval same day of the test, some gets after few months and not only me but some of like us are still waiting. I don't understand what exactly going out there.