AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Hey Guys. Sorry for the delay in replying back was having some health issues. I and my wife both did not take Birth Certificate in the test. My CO asked me for the birth certificate, but when I told that I used my passport as birth proof he got a bit irritated. Though he accepted the passport as birth proof. For my wife, the case officer did not even bother to ask the birth certificate. I think we were lucky to get good Case officers and maybe our Police check was already there with them so Case officers accepted and approved our application on the same day of the test. 

If you do not want to try your luck Indian Embassy can issue the birth certificate based on the passport. 

I believe if you have not changed name Passport will be enough but again depends on case officer. 

Case officer had the valid reason not to accept Passport and 10th Certificate as birth proof. Below was his words.

My Case Officer words:

"As passports are not made just after birth so it is not exactly proof of your birth. How will we know that you have not changed your name since birth? Your birth year is 1985 but the passport was made in 2011 so maybe you have changed the name in between those years we can tell it is your real name. Me as CO as depends on what documents I will accept."   

Hey guys, sharing my info here just for the greater knowledge.

Both my wife and me applied within a week of each other, she applied online but I applied via mail (Paper). This was due to an issue with my travel records when border control failed to register one of my entries back to Australia, ie. it showed me exiting the country on 2 different occasions without the entry in between. I called and was told to either submit proof of my entry (which could take a few weeks to process) and try applying online again once the issue was corrected, or to apply by paper as even with the discrepancy in the record I met the eligibility criteria.

So to avoid the extra wait I submitted a paper application, however at the same time I still sent proof of the missing entry just to get the record right. It actually just took them a couple of days to process, however I had already sent the paper application. See below for our timeline.

Date applied: 05/12/2017
City/Council area: Melbourne
Online / Paper: Paper
Date received the acknowledgement email: 29/01/2018
Date of the Citizenship Test: 25/06/2018 *Passed
Date of ceremony: TBC
Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal): TBC

Date applied: 02/12/2017
Online / Paper: Online
Date received the acknowledgement email: 02/12/2017
Date of the Citizenship Test: TBC

When attending the interview/exam I asked the officer why hadn't my wife been contacted yet and he thought it was unusual but he couldn't provide more information, he advised to call the department and ask. When we called and explained the situation they didn't even bothered to ask for our details, just said applications are processed in different batches, and that they were still within the specified time frame ?

On 26/06/2018 at 09:25, Zet01 said:

Your test date is also in July 2017? I think you better call them to ask for status since it is more than the published timeline.

I hope you get the approval soon.

Couple of days before it turns 16 months since application. Tried to call them they even didn’t ask for any details saying sorry but you have to wait... will try again on 13th.

8 hours ago, Sheila said:

Final timeline

Total time 14 months 23 days

Now become an Australian citizen..!!

Date of application: 18 April 2017
Test : 23 june2017
Approval: 28 April 2018
Citizenship ceremony: 10 July 2018

Thanks for the support.

Congrats!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheila said:

Final timeline

Total time 14 months 23 days

Now become an Australian citizen..!!

Date of application: 18 April 2017
Test : 23 june2017
Approval: 28 April 2018
Citizenship ceremony: 10 July 2018

Thanks for the support.

Congratulations @Sheila. I wonder what happened to Elliot, he did not come back for updates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

My daughter is a bit concerned that she has to have an interview before her citizenship test. To re-assure her can someone confirm that this is normal and what it entails. 

Thank you

Hi @ramot the interview is just a casual conversation with the officer. They will just ask about the documents that she brought and they will just confirm some details and scan the documents. After that she will be asked for her photo taken and that's it. All the best on her citizenship test.

• Like 1

Hi, 

My Mate got eligibility for Citizenship last week. 

However, his International Passport is going to expire in last week  of August.

What’s  the best option for him?

Apply Citizenship now & do change of circumstances? 

Or 

Apply for citizenship after he gets new passport? 

Please advice. 

Thanka 

44 minutes ago, bhagath said:

Hi, 

My Mate got eligibility for Citizenship last week. 

However, his International Passport is going to expire in last week  of August.

What’s  the best option for him?

Apply Citizenship now & do change of circumstances? 

Or 

Apply for citizenship after he gets new passport? 

Please advice. 

Thanka 

I would apply now and do a change of circumstances later.  It could take him a while to fill in the application form! He might as well get it lodged and in the queue.

On 11/07/2018 at 09:02, mangel83 said:

Hey guys, sharing my info here just for the greater knowledge.

Both my wife and me applied within a week of each other, she applied online but I applied via mail (Paper). This was due to an issue with my travel records when border control failed to register one of my entries back to Australia, ie. it showed me exiting the country on 2 different occasions without the entry in between. I called and was told to either submit proof of my entry (which could take a few weeks to process) and try applying online again once the issue was corrected, or to apply by paper as even with the discrepancy in the record I met the eligibility criteria.

So to avoid the extra wait I submitted a paper application, however at the same time I still sent proof of the missing entry just to get the record right. It actually just took them a couple of days to process, however I had already sent the paper application. See below for our timeline.

Date applied: 05/12/2017
Online / Paper: Paper
Date received the acknowledgement email: 29/01/2018
Date of the Citizenship Test: 25/06/2018 *Passed

Date applied: 02/12/2017
Online / Paper: Online
Date received the acknowledgement email: 02/12/2017
Date of the Citizenship Test: TBC

When attending the interview/exam I asked the officer why hadn't my wife been contacted yet and he thought it was unusual but he couldn't provide more information, he advised to call the department and ask. When we called and explained the situation they didn't even bothered to ask for our details, just said applications are processed in different batches, and that they were still within the specified time frame ?

Did you link the applications?  There was a question about wanting to attend a ceremony together and you had to give info about the other applicant. We did this and were called to take test on same day.

Have you had approval yet? We got ours the same day but some people have waited for months.

11 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

I would apply now and do a change of circumstances later.  It could take him a while to fill in the application form! He might as well get it lodged and in the queue.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Will inform him.

Ta

5 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Did you link the applications?  There was a question about wanting to attend a ceremony together and you had to give info about the other applicant. We did this and were called to take test on same day.

Have you had approval yet? We got ours the same day but some people have waited for months.

Yes we did, I submitted her details and she submitted mine.

Yes, I got the approval within a week.

11 minutes ago, mangel83 said:

Yes we did, I submitted her details and she submitted mine.

Yes, I got the approval within a week.

As I said before no rhyme or reason to it. Some just seem to get stuck in the system. Why some people are waiting months for approval after the test goodness only knows. 

Hopefully your wife will get her test soon.......

I called Wollahra Council yesterday to ask whether my name was on the list for the next ceremony on the 8 August and they said I was definitely on the list! So it’s all happening. Took app 10 months in total. Good luck everyone!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnneOz said:

I called Wollahra Council yesterday to ask whether my name was on the list for the next ceremony on the 8 August and they said I was definitely on the list! So it’s all happening. Took app 10 months in total. Good luck everyone!!

Welcome back @AnneOz! Congratulations on your ceremony. ?

4 hours ago, AnneOz said:

Were they not bothered that you called? My councils website says not to contact them directly as the date is not arranged by them but rather from the Department of Immigration. They just get given a list of the next intake. I called my local council and they were quite rude to me when I inquired if I was on the list for next ceremony.

"Once you have been approved and received your letter of approval from the DIBP, you will be put on a 6 month waiting list for a ceremony. Council will receive your details one month prior to your allocated ceremony date and will then contact you at this time. Please do not contact Council prior to receiving your invitation to a ceremony as we are unable to tell you where you sit on the waiting list." 

Edited by Rorz

13 minutes ago, whenwillthisend said:

Timeline updates

Applied: 28/10/2017
Test email: 13/07/2018
Test date: 31/08/2018

If anyone can get me any test material to study would be greatly appreciated ?

Hi 

Which state did u apply

I also lodged on 28 oct 2017 from brisbane but still havenot got anything 

Thnx