A Question for all the unhappy people in Oz

tracy123

Guest Angelcake
LOL they dont even begin to listen most of the time - world class whingers in their own right actually.

Surely they can't be THAT bad Quoll? After all, you married one :biglaugh:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood

Did you have anyone try to persuade you not to move to Australia?

Yes, uncle who was over there got me a job telling me Perth was brilliant....he lives in Cornwall now

Did you have anyone tell you about any bad points about Australia? if so what?

Yes.....never challenge a kangaroo to a fight if he has boxing gloves on.

How long did it take for you not to like Australia? and why?

About a week....no culture....no decent beer....aussies just don't get it:huh:and they are very materialistic.....no decent sausages...no decent curries.....fast food take-away on EVERY corner....to many flies....to many mozzies.....to hot....boring beaches after the initial honeymoon period.......miserable faces in shops and at work.....graffeti all over the place.....violence in Northbridge some nights....druken abbos all over the shop.

Coffee is good though:spinny:

Guest Pinhead

Why would anyone who disliked a country so much in such a short period of time stay there for so long?

Guest earlswood
Why would anyone who disliked a country so much in such a short period of time stay there for so long?

I like coffee.

Whilst I suspect that this is a stir, in good faith my answers:

1. No

2. Yes, my DH told me to do something about my phobia of flies (he is an Aussie)

3. About 15 - 20 years. Because I am bored with it - shallow, tacky, insular, egocentric "up itself" attitude. Too much drought, too little history (relevant to me), buildings that look like they were the result of an architect's one night stand with a batch of bad acid, every second footie player being accorded "hero" status, to name just a few.

I concur with the cliquey-ness of the great Australian public as well - very much so - I have never found them friendly for friendships sake, more for what they can get out of it rather than what they can put into it. Most of my friends here happen to be long term migrants but that is purely coincidental, I dont have that many friends that I could call in the middle of the night. Not only cliquey either, very materialistic - everyone wants to tell you how much they paid for the car, the house, the kitchen, their hair cut and how much better their car/house/kitchen/haircut is than the one you may have (oh and much cheaper and done by a much more professional outfit than yours). In very general terms, Australians are not good listeners, they constantly want to have the last word and are never wrong.

hi

if yoiu are really into history try the ou uk you can do loads of courses in european and british history its not about kings and queens but more in depth into arguements about different aspects. Its not whiggish history thats looking at history through modern perspectiive it is very interesting and fills your time I have 300 points need another 60 for a honours degree in aussue lingo im stuffed

Malx

aka Billy NM

LOL they dont even begin to listen most of the time - world class whingers in their own right actually.

Whinging is just like everything else here; The British invented it but the Aussies just had to be the best at it!

And the gold for whinging goes to....... Australia

Guest Pinhead

You know what they say. Australians are a very balanced people, they have a chip on both shoulders. Or was that South Africans?:biglaugh:

Ok, I am baffled as I dont find this but why do you guys find Brissie clickey?????

Even through my O/H is a Queenlander i just find people in Brisbane dont believe in change and coming from Berkshire and working in London I find people here hard to get them to undestand im here for a change of life style but i guess the last 6 weeks ahve put so much stres on myself that i had to think of moving to NSW because ppl dont believe in the change of lifestyle i came here for. Either that or as my INlaws says i not meet the roght person yet regarding a job here i not quote the full line as they like to give there views in full aussie style lol:biglaugh:

buildings that look like they were the result of an architect's one night stand with a batch of bad acid

classic,,

Quoll are you and old hippy?

Guest JoanneHattersley
Even through my O/H is a Queenlander i just find people in Brisbane dont believe in change and coming from Berkshire and working in London I find people here hard to get them to undestand im here for a change of life style but i guess the last 6 weeks ahve put so much stres on myself that i had to think of moving to NSW because ppl dont believe in the change of lifestyle i came here for. Either that or as my INlaws says i not meet the roght person yet regarding a job here i not quote the full line as they like to give there views in full aussie style lol:biglaugh:

Thanks for replying!!

I have found that they seem sometimes a little "disbelieving" that life can be so bad in the UK. Anyone else found that???? Is it because Ozzies are becoming a bit insular and not looking outside of the box???? (so to speak)

Guest earlswood
Thanks for replying!!

I have found that they seem sometimes a little "disbelieving" that life can be so bad in the UK. Anyone else found that???? Is it because Ozzies are becoming a bit insular and not looking outside of the box???? (so to speak)

It's because the Brits are the worst in the world at painting "doom and gloom" the aussies think we live under a constant grey sky with none stop rain.....someone killed in our OWN street every day....the price of petrol at $150 dollars a litre...et etc...brits really now how to bull**** bigtime:biglaugh:

I disagree Aldo ,,as much as i love the aussies they speak more POO than you and Earslwood put together ,,lol!!! we often laugh about conversations we have had with some and if they dont know the answer they just lie !!!! its quite funny really,lol

Cal x

Thanks for replying!!

I never painted a bad picture of the UK since i been here as like all of us we made are descions for our own reasons and mine was due to me being on the otherside of the world to my otherhalf and costing us heaps in telephone bills and time difference and spending heaps of the weekend talking via pc and text mesages while we both was out and when we both where working. So it made sense fopr one of us to move. I'm proud of the UK. I would give up everything again to be with my other half and her son . I not having a go Jo and Mark just frustating when i meet Aussie who dont think out side the box. :unsure:

Guest JoanneHattersley
I not having a go Jo and Mark just frustating when i meet Aussie who dont think out side the box. :unsure:

You`re not having a go at us!! Im not an Aussie by the way. After reading my post did ya think I was???!!!!!

Guest JoanneHattersley
I was unsure to be honset just having a bad day to be honset:embarrassed:

Thats ok! I`ll forgive ya!!!! We all have them days!

True Blue UK, born in Romford Essex..............let the Essex girl jokes fly!!:biglaugh:

Guest JoanneHattersley
OMG

Essex lass and a Wednesday fan:arghh:

Malx

aka Billy 3m

Hey, come on!!! LOL!

Make your signature up to a nice round `5 mates` + mark and me will be your friends!

classic,,

Quoll are you and old hippy?

Hmmmm - old? yes - very, hippy? not so much any more and even then my hippyness only ventured as far as stripey bell bottom trousers and bare feet, boring or what?!

onecrankypom, I think you are probably experiencing the difficulties that many of us in mixed marriages experience when we come out here - in lots of ways it isnt fair because the OH has their family, friends, history etc all here and you are here on your tod without your own "stuff" around you. I really do think it is a different situation from being one of a migrating couple who have only each other to lean on.

However, I do know all there is to know about long distance relationships - for me it was 3 years in the days before email and the internet and phone calls were a pound a minute!!!! Keeping a relationship going via airmail takes considerable fortitude!!!

In lots of ways you would perhaps to be better to both move away from the inlaws to a neutral place and if that means leaving the state and heading down to Vic or NSW then it could be worth doing. That way you are on your own as a family unit which is much more comfortable!!!

onecrankypom, I think you are probably experiencing the difficulties that many of us in mixed marriages experience when we come out here - in lots of ways it isnt fair because the OH has their family, friends, history etc all here and you are here on your tod without your own "stuff" around you. I really do think it is a different situation from being one of a migrating couple who have only each other to lean on.

However, I do know all there is to know about long distance relationships - for me it was 3 years in the days before email and the internet and phone calls were a pound a minute!!!! Keeping a relationship going via airmail takes considerable fortitude!!!

In lots of ways you would perhaps to be better to both move away from the inlaws to a neutral place and if that means leaving the state and heading down to Vic or NSW then it could be worth doing. That way you are on your own as a family unit which is much more comfortable!!!

OMG I agree Quoll LOL

Guest itskaren

True Blue UK, born in Romford Essex..............let the Essex girl jokes fly!!:biglaugh:

the only Essex jokes I know are too rude to be on this site unfortunately!!

Guest itskaren

I think you ought to start an 'Essex girl' joke thread. go on .....

Archived