A Question for all the unhappy people in Oz

tracy123

A few Simple questions.

Did you have anyone try to persuade you not to move to Australia?

Did you have anyone tell you about any bad points about Australia? if so what?

How long did it take for you not to like Australia? and why?

I think if you could all answer the questions or write down your story on why you don't like Australia anymore and place them all on one thread, people may understand a little more of where you are coming from?!

Cheers

Geoffrey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yvonne and paul

:err: ............................................the silence................................................................is............................................deafening!!!!!!

:err: ............................................the silence................................................................is............................................deafening!!!!!!

i know!!! and the post being up for such a long time too.

I will answer these questions some tome today

Guest surburberella
A few Simple questions.

I think if you could all answer the questions or write down your story on why you don't like Australia anymore and place them all on one thread, people may understand a little more of where you are coming from?!

Cheers

Geoffrey

My father tried to persuade me not to come as he grew up here and we ping ponged between here & UK a few times during my childhood. He said I would miss London too much as he knows how much I love the place plus that's what happened to my mother. He thought I would find it too quiet...& (as fathers often are!) he was right!

I had never been to Melbourne (as I lived in Sydney as a young child and for ping ponging purposes) and I felt it lacked something straight away. I am now enjoying what the city has to offer but we are still going back in a year or two as its just not for us forever. Cant quite say why-just a feeling..

A bloke i was working with in Spain had just returned from Perth and said he hated it, told me how bored he was. I told him that Brisbane was different that I had been there as a backpacker and loved it. Family said go for it but i found out later that they didn't really want me to go

No. Most of my friends only experience of Australia was the same as mine , as a backpacker and had a good time getting drunk every night and shagging anything that moved.

The first few weeks we were busy finding somewhere to live, cars, licences...,...,.. then it was like waiting for tings to get better so i waited and waited but nothing got better it just stayed the same. I was doing all the things like socializing in peoples back gardens, going to the beach, trying to embrace "aussie culture" but I just didn't get it.

I won't go into too much detail as to why I don't like Australia because i have already posted my reasons why and if anyone wants to know just go through my previous posts. It also seems to offend some members that anyone could not like it here and I would hate to offend anyone..

Questions do not relate to me but I just want to say its not for everyone and I do not understand why people worry if others do not like Aus.

Aldo I so agree its like the good party you went to last week and try to have one the next week never the same.

If all us Brits from Canada,Aus N Z South Africa suddenly decided to go back to UK just imagine how many that would be.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest surburberella
It also seems to offend some members that anyone could not like it here and I would hate to offend anyone..

Yes-interesting though how those same people vehemently critcise the UK but expect no-one to be offended by that.

I think it's because when you run down Aus and its ways, for the people who have settled in and find life here suits them, it's akin to criticising their personal taste. Or perhaps in some cases it makes folk question themselves and as it has cost them so much financially and emotionally to come here they don't want to look too closely for fear they find themselves in agreement..

Yes-interesting though how those same people vehemently critcise the UK but expect no-one to be offended by that.

I think it's because when you run down Aus and its ways, for the people who have settled in and find life here suits them, it's akin to criticising their personal taste. Or perhaps in some cases it makes folk question themselves and as it has cost them so much financially and emotionally to come here they don't want to look too closely for fear they find themselves in agreement..

I must say that most PIO members are good people and people like cal and johats (luv em to bits) are an inspiration and are always here to help anyone if ever they can. Yet some tend to look down their noses at ppl who wish to return as failures.

I suppose we each have different perceptions of what "living the dream" or the old chestnut "life is what you make it" mean.

Guest taffy 62

No one told me not to come to Australia.

No one told me about bad point of Australia or good points for that matter we didnt know what we were coming to as we did no research at all the only thing that we knew was it was far away, hot and had kangaroos and koalas!!!!!!!!

When I first came to Australia it was a matter of months before I realised id didnt like it as I was so busy at first settling in. Realised it was the place I was living in that I didnt like as everyone was so clicky and it was very hard to be accepted.

So we made a decision to move to another state and if we didnt like that we would go back to the UK.

What a difference a different place made, made loads of friends, got good jobs and settled really well.

Now I have since moved to Brisbane and I've gone back in time!!!!!!! I'ts so clicky, hard to meet people and make friends and everyone seems wrapped up in their own little world. Even my hairdresser says shes been in Brisbane for 3 years and still hasnt any friends!

I think it also depends on what age you are or whether you play sport or have kids you can make friends through, as my daughter has settled here and has good job and heaps of friends. Its good for her but not for me.

So it looks like I will have to back track and go back to where all my friends are lol.

Its not Australia I am unhappy with only the place in Austrailia, and hope to change that soon.:spinny:

Guest purpletomato

Hi Taffy!

If I were in Australia, I would befriend you! I am sorry you find the people `clicky'.

I am thinking of moving to Australia and am reading people's view point... with interest. We are all individuals and as long as the people who write that they do not like Australia write it with care and respect they should not be attacked.

It is good to have a place one can share openly in love. Glossing over things just to be accepted is not the way to go. Being rude and criticising is not either of course. Balance is good.

I was in australia for 5 months back in 1989... I lived on a ship so did not live with the locals... so I do not know the culture... I did find some people rough and i was approaqched for money a few times... I know, I have the sort of face that makes strangers asks for money. ha! ha! ha!

I would like to find out and check it out because life in New Zealand is way too tough for my family and I due to our finacial situation. No matter how hard we work it is almost not enough!

And as an Artist... so I was told Australia might be a better place.

Would you say so?

Amanda

ps I am very new and hope I am not posting in the wrong place! :P

Hey Taffy

I will also be your friend, my hubby first moved to the Central Coast NSW in 1994 and then he left in 2002 & returned with me in 2006 - he has noticed a big change here in this area and even thou we do mix & have friends english & aussie, hubby says this area is now much clickeyer than it used to be.

Hope you get back on track soon

All the best

stuju

Guest taffy 62

Thankyou both for your replies.

This website has been a blessing for me since moving to Brisbane, I feel I have friends who care on here, even though hubby says im spending too much time on here lol.

As far as I can gather Melbourne is the cultural/ artist centre of Australia and from what I have seen of Melbourne and Brisbane I tend to agree. Brisbane is cleaner but newer, some people say it hasnt the heart like Melbourne, which seems more creative and that there is more going on there. I cant say for definate as I have only visited not lived there. Hope this helps:smile:

Guest purpletomato

Hi Stuju and Taffy!

Toook me awhile to understand there is a page 2 to this thread. heh! heh!

WOw... How do people be cliquey? Do you face groups of people standing on their own groups and not wanting to chat with you or what?

Here in NZ.. while waiting in line, I can strike up a conversation with strangers... would it not be possible in Australia?

At work, I get along with almost everyone and though there are people going out after work who do not include me but I think if I had wanted to tag along it might be okay. They are just much younger so I have not tried. :)

And the rest of us have met for dancing and food and we didn't feel left out.

Are you saying in Australia soem friends will leave you out and wont want you to join them?

Yes, I have heard good stuff abt Melbourne being suitable for me... I love the cook weather but my husband prefer it hot.

Tasmania would have been good as it is similar to NZ... Melb might be windy but if we can get a better lifestyle I would be game! :)

Amanda

Guest purpletomato

Maybe if we go to Brisbane it will be up to us to give it a heart huh!!!!!

:)

My husband and I are good at making places alive... I think our friends will really miss us when we go.

Guest taffy 62

I think this thread maybe going off what the original poster started so maybe start up another one are people clicky in Oz. or something like that or we can chat privately or in the chat rooms, people on here are always willing to help:smile:

A few Simple questions.

not really no (apart from the emotional side of friends & relies)

i don't think so no that i can remember at the time

8 months or so

Cheers

Geoffrey

It's not really a case of NOT LIKING Australia, from what little of oz i have seen so far its a beautiful place & i would love to discover more of it

- just more a case of harder to get a job, am worse of financially,

do not have all the perks i had of living in the uk (my personal perks)

miss my kids,friends & other family & im a english rose a heart

stuju

A few Simple questions.

MMMMM No not really either i moved here or the Other half moved to the uk lol

No not really just all the good point lol

MMM still like it as it only been 6 weeks today. Just trying to understand why being a Kiwi more beneficary then a pom MMMMEven through I been looking to move to Sydney as Brisbane is so Clicky lol :unsure:

Guest taffy 62

Hi cranky wondering how you were doing havnt heard from you in a while.

Im glad to see Im not the only one who thinks brisbane is so clicky then.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Ok, I am baffled as I dont find this but why do you guys find Brissie clickey?????

Guest yvonne and paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvonne and paul

............................................the silence........................................... .....................is........................... .................deafening!!!!!!

i know!!! and the post being up for such a long time too.

I will answer these questions some tome today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's me, just being 538719907_92c2f1a9c8.jpg%3Fv%3D0 and Aldo comes 538719907_92c2f1a9c8.jpg%3Fv%3D0 right back at me, ohummmm, never mind LOL

Seriously though back to Geoffery's original post,

Did you have anyone tell you about any bad points about Australia? if so what? A, yes, this forum and very welcome too!

I agree with some points raised, for some reason people do get offended when their own choice or preference is either criticised or besmerched in any way whatsoever, what we have on this forum are people from ALL over the world, we CAN'T possibly all like the same things ( bloody boring if we did) and we should accept that other people may (a very remote possibility I know) just happen to prefer something different in life.

I agree with Taffy too, if you don't find what you wan't in one area then try and move, as they say, try, try and try again.

Paul.

A few Simple questions.

1. Did you have anyone try to persuade you not to move to Australia?

2. Did you have anyone tell you about any bad points about Australia? if so what?

3. How long did it take for you not to like Australia? and why?

Cheers

Geoffrey

Whilst I suspect that this is a stir, in good faith my answers:

1. No

2. Yes, my DH told me to do something about my phobia of flies (he is an Aussie)

3. About 15 - 20 years. Because I am bored with it - shallow, tacky, insular, egocentric "up itself" attitude. Too much drought, too little history (relevant to me), buildings that look like they were the result of an architect's one night stand with a batch of bad acid, every second footie player being accorded "hero" status, to name just a few.

I concur with the cliquey-ness of the great Australian public as well - very much so - I have never found them friendly for friendships sake, more for what they can get out of it rather than what they can put into it. Most of my friends here happen to be long term migrants but that is purely coincidental, I dont have that many friends that I could call in the middle of the night. Not only cliquey either, very materialistic - everyone wants to tell you how much they paid for the car, the house, the kitchen, their hair cut and how much better their car/house/kitchen/haircut is than the one you may have (oh and much cheaper and done by a much more professional outfit than yours). In very general terms, Australians are not good listeners, they constantly want to have the last word and are never wrong.

Guest Brickie
Australians are not good listeners, they constantly want to have the last word and are never wrong.

There is only so much whining they will take, after that they turn off and ignore you like youre just not there...

Who said that?.............:biglaugh:

Whilst I suspect that this is a stir, in good faith my answers:

1. No

2. Yes, my DH told me to do something about my phobia of flies (he is an Aussie)

3. About 15 - 20 years. Because I am bored with it - shallow, tacky, insular, egocentric "up itself" attitude. Too much drought, too little history (relevant to me), buildings that look like they were the result of an architect's one night stand with a batch of bad acid, every second footie player being accorded "hero" status, to name just a few.

I concur with the cliquey-ness of the great Australian public as well - very much so - I have never found them friendly for friendships sake, more for what they can get out of it rather than what they can put into it. Most of my friends here happen to be long term migrants but that is purely coincidental, I dont have that many friends that I could call in the middle of the night. Not only cliquey either, very materialistic - everyone wants to tell you how much they paid for the car, the house, the kitchen, their hair cut and how much better their car/house/kitchen/haircut is than the one you may have (oh and much cheaper and done by a much more professional outfit than yours). In very general terms, Australians are not good listeners, they constantly want to have the last word and are never wrong.

Not stiring at all Quoll

I thought it might be good for everyone to tell there story on one thread so other people wanting to move to Australia could see the many reasons why people are not happy.

Myself I know the good the bad and ugly side of Australia, this thread wasn't for me but the newer nembers of PIO.

Geoffrey

Hmm generally such threads have deteriorated into a "you cant say that" sort of barney which isnt really helpful either which is, I grant you, unfortunate if people really do want to know what other people's impressions are.

I came here in the days before the internet, before cheap phone calls etc and can honestly say I didnt agonize to the nth degree that some folk seem to do at the moment. My guess is because that we werent chasing a dream, we were grabbing an opportunity. Having lived overseas before it really didnt bother me one iota about coming here and it was alright for a while - never really mind blowingly wonderful though.

There is only so much whining they will take, after that they turn off and ignore you like youre just not there...

Who said that?.............:biglaugh:

LOL they dont even begin to listen most of the time - world class whingers in their own right actually.

Archived