Spreadsheet crew does Shipping

Katiebobbles

Hi everyone,

A quick update on our situation - we have had our house on the market for about 6 weeks, had lots of viewings including 3 second viewings, and one stupid offer... but not managed to sell yet.  Two more viewings tonight so fingers crossed!

Other half has to activate his visa by 6th sept and I didnt want to be messing about going back and forth after such a long time getting the visa in the first place, so yesterday booked our flights for 30th August and that will be us, gone!!  So much to think about still... and his work knows but mine doesnt, so still need to give notice etc!

I also submitted my British Citizenship application (biometrics etc) on the 8th of April, and had my interview to submit biometrics at the end of April, so with us leaving at the end of August, its only going to have been 4.5 months since I applied and they are quoting an average of 6 months to process at the moment.  Really hoping mine shuffles through quickly as I want to apply for a british passport before we leave also.

Quick question on the moving process - how long do you get to pack all your stuff if you are using, say a 20 foot container? Do they drop the container and boxes off to you and you have a certain amount of time to do it? Or do you get the boxes before hand and then they just pitch up with the container, load it and go?  I need to get some companies in for proper quotes soon but we are still in the process of determining what we are taking so it seems pointless to get them in til we are a bit more organised (probably another week or two).

Thanks in advance for any tips!

1 minute ago, Ausgirl42 said:

Quick question on the moving process - how long do you get to pack all your stuff if you are using, say a 20 foot container? Do they drop the container and boxes off to you and you have a certain amount of time to do it? Or do you get the boxes before hand and then they just pitch up with the container, load it and go? 

If you're going to do the packing, then you can ask for the boxes to be delivered any time, as far in advance as you like.  Some companies won't insure the contents if you do the packing so consider that. 

If you get a Movecube then it gets delivered in the morning and picked up that evening.  If it's not ready to collect, you pay extra. So you have to have everything ready (to the point of taping off a section of the floor in your house and actually doing a trial pack of the Cube).  

With a container, ask your removalist how much time they include in their quote.  Some companies do offer a DIY service, where you load your own container, but frankly I'm not sure I'd take that on.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Good progress all round!  Good news, I hope you manage to enjoy some last UK summer along the way.  We are thinking if the timing works we will rent a motorhome and do a bit of a tour for a few weeks before we fly out.

Sounds good. Time to chill and catch your breath before the next phase.

14 minutes ago, Ausgirl42 said:

Hi everyone,

A quick update on our situation - we have had our house on the market for about 6 weeks, had lots of viewings including 3 second viewings, and one stupid offer... but not managed to sell yet.  Two more viewings tonight so fingers crossed!

Other half has to activate his visa by 6th sept and I didnt want to be messing about going back and forth after such a long time getting the visa in the first place, so yesterday booked our flights for 30th August and that will be us, gone!!  So much to think about still... and his work knows but mine doesnt, so still need to give notice etc!

I also submitted my British Citizenship application (biometrics etc) on the 8th of April, and had my interview to submit biometrics at the end of April, so with us leaving at the end of August, its only going to have been 4.5 months since I applied and they are quoting an average of 6 months to process at the moment.  Really hoping mine shuffles through quickly as I want to apply for a british passport before we leave also.

Quick question on the moving process - how long do you get to pack all your stuff if you are using, say a 20 foot container? Do they drop the container and boxes off to you and you have a certain amount of time to do it? Or do you get the boxes before hand and then they just pitch up with the container, load it and go?  I need to get some companies in for proper quotes soon but we are still in the process of determining what we are taking so it seems pointless to get them in til we are a bit more organised (probably another week or two).

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Hi, we used ‘Simply Ship’ . Our container left in April and arrived in Perth last week. Has cleared customs, just needs to clear quarantine now. The company came and packed everything. They did a great job so will hopefully have good news when it arrives to our house in a weeks time 😊.if you have a company pack for you things move along quicker and if you pack it yourself insurance is more difficult.

just a quick update on us.....

we left Scotland on 15th April, arrived Perth WA 18th April. Spent first two nights in a hotel, then onto an air b&b where we have been staying since. The first two weeks were taken up with running around getting Medicare, TFN and driving licence sorted. We were well organised but I would remind you all to make sure you bring all your documents with you such as birth certificate, marriage /divorce, change of name certificate, copy of visa, anything really that relates to your life. As getting things organised required a lot of ID. You can’t do one thing before you do the other and it’s quite frustrating really. I know you have 3 months to do your licence but it’s best to do it quick for buying a car etc. 

We spent the first two weeks viewing over 20 houses, partly to keep my mind off the dogs in quarantine which was hard. Being reunited after 10 days was amazing!!

we bought a house and move into it next Friday. We have been really lucky so far with the interest rates in our favour just before it dropped. I was lucky to get a job the first place I walked into. My husband is enjoying being a house husband for the time being. Everything falls into place it just takes time and you have to be patient. 

I look back the last couple of months and can’t believe what we have achieved. The worst part was the last 3 days before we left, saying goodbye. You get to the point you just want to jump in the car and drive to the airport,

i don’t know what the situation with the visa’s are at the moment but it took us 9 months from application .

I wish you all the best in your move

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2019 at 09:37, Jon the Hat said:

Despite some very positive viewings we are still trying to sell the house.  We are now enjoying the summer and resigned to not moving for a while yet.

Hi there - I remember you being very helpful on the "pre-visa grant" thread - and I recognise a few others from the same time on this thread....which we've only just spotted!(OK, looked for)

I do hope that your house sells soon - we accepted an offer this week but it's been a rollercoaster and we've yet to navigate through surveys etc.

So,  we're thinking we may be in Adelaide 10 weeks from now and the whole shipping challenge is therefore upon us - looks like I'll be selling strimmers/mowers/leafblowers/Karcher washer etc, cant really justify $200 a pop if customs wish to re-clean them.

Will be organising quotes so will update with quotes and anything else that could be helpful info to you all.

Hi All 

@ jon the hat I’m so sorry it’s slow for u to sell .... hope it has picked up over the summer 

We are here and it’s been a whirlwind .... sorting Medicare, kindy, rentals etc! Now sat on the bro in laws camping chairs as the crate doesn’t get to port til the 19th then it’s up to customs to clear and send to us!!!!! 

We went with PSS in the end ..... they were fab on the UK side and the packers were brilliant ..... will let u know what their onshore agents are like after they have been 

Also we went with their insurance as we got a quote from LP which they beat after a bit of back and forth .... hoping we don’t need it tho 

I agree a soak in Jayes and a good pressure wash should be enough for the immigration (at least I hope so) 

Good luck to everyone packing up .... the rollercoaster doesn’t stop when u get here but it is such a good feeling to be here and know you are on the home stretch to being all settled 

xox

Good news Ben!  I hope it all goes through for you.

We are close to coming off the market and waiting for the Spring now.  The market is completely dead where we are.  Plan B is to rent the house next year, but will need to save some more funds to do that.  Disappointing after feeling so ready to go, but far from a disaster.  Just need to pick ourselves up and get on with it!

Congratulations Katie, how exciting to finally be there!  Glad to hear PSS have been good so far, I was leaning towards them for some reason.

• 1 month later...

So were here, well been here 3 week's and sorting car - medicare + all other things that you forget but all good, will have to start looking to get a job soon before I get lazy 😃 we used John Mason for shipping,  their guys were great and really helpful,  we had more than the estimator allowed for but all good and it fitted in the container 🤯 they initially thought 2/3 of a 20ft container but we filled a whole one and had to leave some bits behind,  no major issue and we had some extra bits to take that were not allowed for but left some bits so it evened out in the end.  

Alcohol is quite dear here now and we left all ours back home as the duty would have made it pointless.  

Anyway happy to be here at last, all those still in the UK keep the faith and be reassured it's worth the wait 👌

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kung-Fu Koala said:

Great news Jon, I'd go for the quick move 😀

We have decided to rent for a bit, our daughters wants to finish her last year of Primary school, and staying at work until after the end of june gets me a chunky bonus.

Also means my wife can finalise her UK citizenship and we might cull a load of stuff we don't need in the process.  Also I have tickets to see the Killers in London in June!!

Edited by Jon the Hat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/12/2019 at 07:57, Jon the Hat said:

Bloody buyers couldn’t get the mortgage; hundreds wasted on solicitors fees 😞

Hope you've sold now John,  or sale fell through again last month for the 3rd time, hopefully we sell soon too.

Weather had been pretty rubbish out here but at least the rain put the fires out 🙃

4 hours ago, Kung-Fu Koala said:

Hope you've sold now John,  or sale fell through again last month for the 3rd time, hopefully we sell soon too.

Weather had been pretty rubbish out here but at least the rain put the fires out 🙃

We’re off the market for a bit, back on start of March.  Fingers crossed!