Spreadsheet crew does Shipping

Katiebobbles

Heya, A quick thread to start a discussion for all of us about to start the shipping process share what we have learned so far..... 

So far i know we need to add in electrical derangement cover - VAT may be added post BREXIT - best not! and I need to clean and dry the fridge freezer for at least a week before we go - oh and dismantle our ikea furniture - they dont like doing that! 

If anyone is willing to share their experiences / quotes/ costs / who they shipped / insured with we would be grateful 

TA 

• Like 2

When we had our quotes (from PSS, John Mason, and Pickfords), none of them mentioned dismantling our Ikea furniture ourselves 🤔 At least one of them mentioned Jeyes fluid, and making sure all bikes, shoes etc were scrubbed clean. The other point that we hadn’t thought of was that most bedrooms have built in robes - we’d planned to ship all the wardrobes, but won’t be now. 

Another point I hadn’t thought of was making sure none of the kids “artwork” has any cones etc attached to it. 

This is a great thread btw@Katiebobbles

We recently got 3 quotes for full 20ft container as well as shared containers from London to Perth - quotes were from John Masons, PSS, Pickfords. Have chosen a full container with John Masons, one thing I did note is make sure you compare like with like, two of them didn't include parking suspensions or quarantine charges which may make appear more competitive but it may not  end up being the case as it added about another £800!

• Like 1

Looking at quotes now....

one thing to ask is charges for decontamination of container if it arrives at destination unclean. Apparently it can cost approx $600. PSS brought that to our attention. Some companies offer cover for this for as little as £15.

we have another company out next week so will share info then.....

• Like 1

We recently got 3 quotes for full 20ft container as well as shared containers from London to Perth - quotes were from John Masons, PSS, Pickfords. Have chosen a full container with John Masons, one thing I did note is make sure you compare like with like, two of them didn't include parking suspensions or quarantine charges which may make appear more competitive but it may not  end up being the case as it added about another £800!
Great tip thanks .... if you don't mind how much was ur quote??? You can DM me if you would prefer not to say ... would be good to know what roughly people are paying. Did you insure through JM or LP??

We used Anglo Pacific - 20 ft container to Melbourne from Liverpool £3975.

also we have had to pay AUS$525 for a quarantine inspection on top of that when our shipment arrived (left Our house 9/11, arrived 9/1)

sales guy nice but crew that turned up a bit slapdash. They Damaged our leather bedhead and are trying to get us to claim on our insurance.

we didn’t have to dismantle any ikea furniture- they just wrapped it up to protect it.

• Like 1

We've just started the process of getting quotes, had one in so far - £3,700 to take most of the stuff in our house. I haven't got the calculator out yet, but my gut tells me that the value of our stuff doesn't add up to quite that much. My instincts tell me I can cram the majority of our most valuable stuff into a movecube, and replace from IKEA the rest at the other side.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2019 at 15:12, Katiebobbles said:

i know we need to add in electrical derangement cover

I'm not genned up on the details of insurance policies yet, so this was a new term for me. I have to read it twice, at first I thought it was to do with worrying about your electricals sending you loopy 🙈

W20 be aware not all homes have built in robes. some older properties won't have. If you have room i'd bring everything you have room for no point not using the space available. Can always get rid if youfind you don't need it the other end.

Hi @Katiebobbles- the three quotes that we had for a twenty ft container from London to Perth were: John Masons - £3625, PSS - £3764, Pickfords - £4249. These are all excluding the quarantine/parking. I haven't confirmed my insurance yet, the simplest approach is probably to go with John Masons who we are shipping with, not sure how much costs vary - need to do a little more research!

On 03/02/2019 at 03:57, Chicken66 said:

W20 be aware not all homes have built in robes. some older properties won't have. If you have room i'd bring everything you have room for no point not using the space available. Can always get rid if youfind you don't need it the other end.

Yeah, I realise that some older properties may not, but most of the properties I’ve been looking at seem to have them. When we had our quotes, we were just at capacity for a 20ft container (with the wardrobes). However, since then, we’ve had a rethink about what we’re taking so we’ll have to get them back out to give a more accurate quote anyway. Apart from the one wardrobe, they’re all Ikea (so not overly expensive), so unless we have room in a 20ft container, we’ll probably risk it and leave them behind. 

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Has anyone found a guide as to how much stuff you can get into a 20ft container?  I have no idea whether to put a 20ft or 40ft in the budget.

We are looking at a 40ft container, but that is a 4 bed house and a 1 bed flat shipped together at the same time.  In total there will be 4 sofa's 2 arm chairs, two dining tables etc, etc.  We are not taking white goods or any wardrobes. So it's a lot of stuff and they think there will probably be a little space left over.  Quotes currently are between 5.5K and 6.2K eeeek. 

1 minute ago, Ingers said:

We are looking at a 40ft container, but that is a 4 bed house and a 1 bed flat shipped together at the same time.  In total there will be 4 sofa's 2 arm chairs, two dining tables etc, etc.  We are not taking white goods or any wardrobes. So it's a lot of stuff and they think there will probably be a little space left over.  Quotes currently are between 5.5K and 6.2K eeeek. 

Hmm.  We have a 5 bed house, but has built in robes, and we are ditching some Ikea stuff etc which is not worth the extra cost of circa £2k for the double space.  We will have to wait and see I guess.

52 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Has anyone found a guide as to how much stuff you can get into a 20ft container?  I have no idea whether to put a 20ft or 40ft in the budget.

We’ve got a 5 bed house, although we aren’t planning on taking everything.  When we had our quotes we said we were taking the following big items - 3 double beds, 3 wardrobes, 3 chest of drawers, 3 bedside tables, 2 TVs, big American fridge-freezer, a few desks, some office furniture. On top of this would be all the smaller stuff, plus 1 bike (I think 🤔). No sofas, dining table/chairs etc though. We were told we were at full capacity for a 20ft container so it would be tight. Having a rethink now though about what to take, although I wouldn’t want to go over a 20ft! 

Following this thread with interest.
We are in the process of organising quotes from Pickfords, John Mason, and Sevenseas.

Anyone have any experience with using the shipping companys storage facilities prior to the move? We’re most likely needing a couple months storage before the ship date. Hoping it’s not extortionate.

22 minutes ago, Bran said:

Following this thread with interest.
We are in the process of organising quotes from Pickfords, John Mason, and Sevenseas.

Anyone have any experience with using the shipping companys storage facilities prior to the move? We’re most likely needing a couple months storage before the ship date. Hoping it’s not extortionate.

We used PSS, they offered 4 weeks free storage at both ends.  We took them up on the offer at the Aus end.

Edited by unzippy