189 visa, secondary school teacher

31Hillbury

28 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

sorry upon checking i got my dates a little wrong up there 😔

EOI was submitted 26th October 2016, invite to apply for Visa received 11th November, Visa submitted 19th December. Medicals tomorrow and then wait...

Points wise... I had 70

Jeez that’s a long wait! I thought the EOI was only active for 2 years. 🤞🏼 Our EOI comes throught a bit faster! 

• 1 month later...
On 27/01/2019 at 21:51, Burnsie said:

One quick question, the activation thing... Would all 4 of us have to travel to activate the visa if we were lucky enough to get one, or just the main visa applicant- me in this case 😁

Thanks 

Everyone has to activate their own visa... four tickets in your case:)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

Hi, 

Not sure if this is normal, but we are still waiting for our skills assessment,

Not entirely sure what AITSL are doing with it. 

It is week 15 of 2019 🤬😡

Anybody else experiencing long waits with skills assessments from AITSL???

Thanks.

Eddie

They say 10 weeks and usually do their best not to provide results earlier, but I think you are justified in contacting them at this point.

Their process involves filing your request, waiting 9 weeks to read to it, then they spend about 2 hours verifying it. Just because I'm being sarcastic, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

@Karstedt

I wouldn't imagine your far wrong from the truth there!

As mentioned on their website, if they dont ask for extra info they say 10 weeks, 

However if they require extra info this does not apply.

They requested additional info as they were not satisfied that one of the sheets was provided by the school that the supervised teacher practice was completed at rather than by the university or visa versa. 

This was provided a week after, however this was in December.  

I have asked our M.A to check whats going on with this but they have not received anything, I since asked again today for them to chase and find out what is going on.

I am tempted to call them but not sure if they will talk to me as we have appointed an agent. 

We are both getting rather frustrated with the wait. I know the whole process is a waiting game, but seems we are stuck very much at the start of the process.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out AITSL had ‘LOST’ the additional evidence that we supplied before Xmas. 

We have now been moved up to the front of the cue according to our agents. Not sure how exactly or if they’re just telling us that to keep us quiet. 

On the bright side the wife had her superior English come back last week, that leaves us with 75 points currently until my skills assessment is complete. 

Although it’s looking like 75 pointers are struggling for invites at the minute? 

Was hoping to have the EOI lodged prior to the May selection round. Looking a bit tight for that though I think. 

This has to be one of the most frustrating processes we are going through! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have lodged an EOI with 70 points for a Secondary teacher. What are my chances does anyone know?

It's so annoying because I am currently in Sydney on my second year WHV. I actually have a job in a DET school until the end of my visa in August but because it's DET they can't sponsor me. I have called immigration to find out if that will be taking into consideration and they said it isn't. I just don't understand why. If I get the visa then I can just stay in my job. (It's a long term cover contract). Did anyone get invited in this round?

Thank you

Alice 

Sorry, should have said earlier.
Going through the process as an early years teacher we waited approx 4 months for invite and 8 months for the visa. However we did have case officer contact at the 4 month mark so it could of been granted then but the system dumped some document uploads which had to be resupplied.
That was with 70 points. Just to give you an idea.
Hi I would like to know what qualifications did you do for Early Years Teacher? I am currently of thinking to do Post Graduate Cert in Early Years Practice with EYTS. I already have 3 years BA Hons Degree in Education Studies including Foundation Degree in Education in Context. So I just need a fourth year to complete. Did you do EYTS (Early Years Teachers Status) OR QTS. Or know anyone else who have been accepted with an EYTS with post graduate course?

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
On 10/05/2019 at 10:54, Alicecurtis 23 said:

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I have lodged an EOI with 70 points for a Secondary teacher. What are my chances does anyone know?

It's so annoying because I am currently in Sydney on my second year WHV. I actually have a job in a DET school until the end of my visa in August but because it's DET they can't sponsor me. I have called immigration to find out if that will be taking into consideration and they said it isn't. I just don't understand why. If I get the visa then I can just stay in my job. (It's a long term cover contract). Did anyone get invited in this round?

Thank you

Alice 

Hi, same here. EOI feb 2019. I am working for the DET, full time. They offered me a permanent position but I couldn't take it because im not a PR. In december, I will get the 5 extra points for working a yr in NSW, hopefully that will boost my chances. 

HI guys, does anyone know if I need a skill assessment for a year of experience i(secondary teacher) n NSW? Or can I just provide my payslips? 

I started working since the beginning of the academic year (28/01/2019). Can I claim my points at the end of the school year (20/12/2019) or  Will I have to wait until 28/01/2020 (which will include my summer break)? 

7 hours ago, pamoushe said:

HI guys, does anyone know if I need a skill assessment for a year of experience i(secondary teacher) n NSW? Or can I just provide my payslips? 

I started working since the beginning of the academic year (28/01/2019). Can I claim my points at the end of the school year (20/12/2019) or  Will I have to wait until 28/01/2020 (which will include my summer break)? 

As this is a 189 thread I assume you are applying for a 189. You cannot submut an EOI for a 189 without a Skills assessment.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

As this is a 189 thread I assume you are applying for a 189. You cannot submut an EOI for a 189 without a Skills assessment.

Actually it's for both 190 NSW and 189 :s. That means I will have to pay again 900 even though the experience is in an Australia public school!

1 hour ago, pamoushe said:

Actually it's for both 190 NSW and 189 :s. That means I will have to pay again 900 even though the experience is in an Australia public school!

Its got nothing to do with where your experience is from. 189 requires you to have a valid skills assessment before you submit an EOI. 

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Its got nothing to do with where your experience is from. 189 requires you to have a valid skills assessment before you submit an EOI. 

I believe you misunderstood me. I submitted my EOI since 23/02/2019 for both 189 and 190 NSW with 70/75 points as a secondary teacher. I have a positive skill assessment for my qualification. I started working as a full time teacher since 28/01/2019. My question was: in order to claim 5 additional points, will I have to wait until 28/01/2020 (summer break inclusive) to request a skill assessment for my employment or can I do it in December since the school year ends in December 2018 (summer break not inclusive although my contract ends in February 2020)?  I contacted AITSL and they informed me that if I request an employment assessment in December then they will put the date as December 2019. However, I have to check with the Department of Home Affairs to see if I can claim 5 points before january 2020. Logically, it is summer break, I will be receiving my salary but I won't be teaching. It is just that I don't want to lose time, I am trying to gather more points as soon as possible. As a teacher, a one year experience is equivalent to 4 terms. 

• 2 months later...
On 30/07/2019 at 16:55, pamoushe said:

I believe you misunderstood me. I submitted my EOI since 23/02/2019 for both 189 and 190 NSW with 70/75 points as a secondary teacher. I have a positive skill assessment for my qualification. I started working as a full time teacher since 28/01/2019. My question was: in order to claim 5 additional points, will I have to wait until 28/01/2020 (summer break inclusive) to request a skill assessment for my employment or can I do it in December since the school year ends in December 2018 (summer break not inclusive although my contract ends in February 2020)?  I contacted AITSL and they informed me that if I request an employment assessment in December then they will put the date as December 2019. However, I have to check with the Department of Home Affairs to see if I can claim 5 points before january 2020. Logically, it is summer break, I will be receiving my salary but I won't be teaching. It is just that I don't want to lose time, I am trying to gather more points as soon as possible. As a teacher, a one year experience is equivalent to 4 terms. 

Technically you are still 'working' during summer break as you are getting paid. Teachers are expected to work through holidays. Therefore you should be able to claim your 5 points in January 2020 exactly a year after you started working. 

• 1 month later...

Any updates from anyone here on this thread. Reading now there's a few 75 pointers and when I submit my EOI it'll rise to 80 points in 2021 but I'll lose points with age in 2022. Getting permanent residency seems nearing an impossibility. And I thought teaching was a ticket to the world! 

I was up for a new 491, which I may be talked into but the size of deposit you need to buy property is enormous and I've just found out the beyond ridiculous stamp duty fees charged by every state for foreign investors.

4 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

Any updates from anyone here on this thread. Reading now there's a few 75 pointers and when I submit my EOI it'll rise to 80 points in 2021 but I'll lose points with age in 2022. Getting permanent residency seems nearing an impossibility. And I thought teaching was a ticket to the world! 

I was up for a new 491, which I may be talked into but the size of deposit you need to buy property is enormous and I've just found out the beyond ridiculous stamp duty fees charged by every state for foreign investors.

Chances with 80 points for a 189 are very, very slim.

491 would be your best bet if you qualify.

Give it a few weeks 85 will be the new 65 in real terms. They are making it a practical impossibility. I’ll never have more points either. As I pick points up for experience, I lose them for age. I have a primary teacher wife but that’s not on the big list and on some regional lists but still only worth 5 points which still ain’t enough.

It'll be a 491 - I’m not going to do a doctorate or become an interpreter for points 

I think there has been a shift in policy about directing new residents to the locations in the country that need population growth or specific skills.

As a result they are making it more attractive to apply for regionally tied visas and much harder to obtain a "live anywhere" visa.

If you know you are planning to stay long term, a provisional permanent residency grant (489/491) really isn't any different to a "full" PR (189/190) except that in 3-4 years time you need to do some more paperwork to switch it to a full perm residence

I appreciate that there is a housing cost to a 4xx visa (punitive stamp duty etc.) I would rent for a while in this situation and determine where I would buy once granted a full visa (as at that time you could go anywhere in Australia and not just the location your 4xx mentions)