Parent VISA

Rob Redpath

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.... I've searched the forum but all seems like abit of a needle in a haystack...

Ok so here is my scenario....

Myself and my Partner are Permanent residents here in Australia, we have been here almost 5 years now on my 189 skilled visa..... we are going to apply for Citizenship very shortly, we recently had a baby boy born here on Christmas Day 2017. My brother also lives here in Australia as a permanent resident..... I am wanting to bring my Mam and Dad over here to live and help support us looking after out child, they will possibly only spend 6-9 months of the year here, the other time will be spent abroad of back in the UK. Me and my brother are my parents only children so 100% of there immediate family live here in Australia, just wondering what visa i can apply for and what is the timeframe cost etc that will be involved, both are near retiring age in the UK. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob.

27 minutes ago, Rob Redpath said:

Thank you, so it seems that a Subclass 103 would be best suited to them as they are not yet 65. They will be on a visitors visa when they apply will they go onto a Bridging visa after submitting the application?

Thanks

Someone will be along to assist you with visa info.  I'm no expert at all with regard to visas but a few people on the forum are FAR more knowledgeable than I am.  They will be able to help with your query.

10 hours ago, Rob Redpath said:

Thank you, so it seems that a Subclass 103 would be best suited to them as they are not yet 65. They will be on a visitors visa when they apply will they go onto a Bridging visa after submitting the application?

Thanks

I may stand corrected but I’m sure the 103 has to be applied for offshore and I don’t think there’s a bridging visa, just a long queue of approx 20 years 

18 hours ago, Rob Redpath said:

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.... I've searched the forum but all seems like abit of a needle in a haystack...

Myself and my Partner are Permanent residents here in Australia, we have been here almost 5 years now on my 189 skilled visa..... we are going to apply for Citizenship very shortly, we recently had a baby boy born here on Christmas Day 2017. My brother also lives here in Australia as a permanent resident..... I am wanting to bring my Mam and Dad over here to live and help support us looking after out child, they will possibly only spend 6-9 months of the year here, the other time will be spent abroad of back in the UK. Me and my brother are my parents only children so 100% of there immediate family live here in Australia, just wondering what visa i can apply for and what is the timeframe cost etc that will be involved, both are near retiring age in the UK. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob.

Best to ask a Mara MA rather than get the wrong information from well intentioned posters. Several Migration agents post on PIO who have good reputations.

T he 103 is an offshore visa, ie they need to be offshore when they apply and they will not be given a bridging visa which will allow them to stay in Australia.  There is also a long processing time for this visa.  There is an onshore equivalent, the 804, and if they were eligible to apply  they would be given a bridging visa after applying which would allow them to stay in Australia,  but they would need to be 65 in order to apply for this and coming and going might be difficult.   If they don't wish to emigrate permanently maybe one of the visitor visas would be ok for them.  There is also a new temporary parent visa in the offing which would allow them to stay for up to five years.  I am not sure what the rules would be regarding coming and going.  As suggested it might be better to consult with one of the reputable agents who post on here. 

Edited by Bridgeman
  • Like 1

But the OP said they would not be living in Australia permanently but spending 6 to 9 months so back in UK or Europe every year.

They should consider a 600 tourist visa which will allow them to stay for up to a year at a time as long as they return to the UK for 6 months between visits. They won’t be able to work but they can own property (subject to FIRB approval) and treat it like a holiday home. 

This is an option that many parents use to spend time with their families. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

But the OP said they would not be living in Australia permanently but spending 6 to 9 months so back in UK or Europe every year.

They should consider a 600 tourist visa which will allow them to stay for up to a year at a time as long as they return to the UK for 6 months between visits. They won’t be able to work but they can own property (subject to FIRB approval) and treat it like a holiday home. 

This is an option that many parents use to spend time with their families. 

He quoted he wants to bring his parents out to Australia to live and help out with childcare. He did say they will possibly  only be there 6-9 months at a time but to say he wants them there to live and do childcare for up to 9 months a year makes it sound like a permanent move. Coupled with him saying he assumed they’d be on a bridging visa until 103 was granted I think he was meaning a permanent move with some travel to Europe and the uk too. Looking after grandchildren in a childcare capacity would be considered as work I’m sure so the 600 probably isn’t what they have in mind.  Perhaps he can clarify the situation in mote detail 

On 11/12/2018 at 14:58, Rob Redpath said:

...I am wanting to bring my Mam and Dad over here to live and help support us looking after out child, they will possibly only spend 6-9 months of the year here, the other time will be spent abroad of back in the UK

You've got to remember that sometimes, if you can't find the needle in the haystack, it's because there isn't one.  

Most countries make it difficult or impossible for parents to join migrant children.  If you were Australians in the UK, it would be impossible to bring your parents to join you, unless they were too ill to care for themselves.

Australia is more lenient.  There are a few visas for aged parents, but it sounds like your parents are too young to qualify - and besides, the waiting time is several years, so your children would be at school before they got approved!    

It's true that for some visas (not all), they could arrive on a tourist visa, apply for the visa, and then stay on a bridging visa.  However, it's not easy living on a bridging visa, and they need to understand the downsides before they embark on that course.  

As others have said, your best bet is to consult a registered migration agent to understand all the complexities.  Most reputable agents will give you an initial consultation free of charge.

I agree that your best bet would be the 600 visa which will let them visit for extended periods, but they wouldn't be able to work.

Edited by Marisawright

On 11/12/2018 at 14:58, Rob Redpath said:

Thanks.

Rob.

Hi Rob.

You are very welcome to telephone me for a freebie chat.

T 03 9935 2929 (Melbourne) - or send a private message to me with your mobile number.

Best regards.