187 and bridging visas

Mark B

Hi all

Myself and wife are looking at emigrating from the UK to Australia and for our skills and age the only real option is a 187 visa. She has an employer who is really interested in sponsoring her which is great, but they are concerned by the potential 22 month wait for the visa to be granted if we get through all of the other stages. Having done some reading into Bridging visas it not really clear as to whether we could apply for the 187, get a bridging visa and move out there to work for the company while we wait for a decision. I appreciate that's a huge gamble as it might not be granted, but I'm struggling to see why companies would even entertain such a visa if they had to wait almost 2 years for their employee to be ready to start.

Any advice would be appreciated

Someone more knowledgeable would be able to answer regarding bridging visa's.  My limited understanding is that you have to have a substantive visa already which is ceasing  and have an application in for another visa - you would I think only have a tourist visa.

Again - someone more knowledgeable will be able to answer, but time around the forum, I see that it is not just a question of an employer wanting to sponsor someone, there's a lot of hoops to jump through if they haven't sponsored someone before - do you know if they already meet the criteria to sponsor employees?

Has your wife done the necessary skills test etc?

Thanks for the reply Ali.

No she hasn't done the skills assessment yet but we have all the documents and evidence ready to go when we need it. 

The company haven't sponsored before but have looked at what they need to do as an employer, it looks like they should meet the criteria. 

Hi,

We are in a very similar position.

Could you apply for a 482 visa, giving her potential employer access to skills much earlier. It also may derisk it all for the employer. I’m sure you’ve realized that it’s actually a 4 year commitment really. 2 year waiting and then 2 year employment offer.

So the 482, if available could act as a compromise, ask that they apply for the 187 visa at the same time. I’m told it’s possible. Of course it doubles the visa cost. 

The company will have to employ an agent to complete their end of the process anyway.  It would be foolish of them to try doing it on their own, especially if they've never done it before.

So the easiest option would be for them to engage their agent now, and ask the agent for the best way to go about it.  

The idea of a 482 first may be a good idea but best to get professional advice.

On 20/10/2018 at 10:10, Mark B said:

Hi all

Myself and wife are looking at emigrating from the UK to Australia and for our skills and age the only real option is a 187 visa. She has an employer who is really interested in sponsoring her which is great, but they are concerned by the potential 22 month wait for the visa to be granted if we get through all of the other stages. Having done some reading into Bridging visas it not really clear as to whether we could apply for the 187, get a bridging visa and move out there to work for the company while we wait for a decision. I appreciate that's a huge gamble as it might not be granted, but I'm struggling to see why companies would even entertain such a visa if they had to wait almost 2 years for their employee to be ready to start.

Any advice would be appreciated

What you propose is technically possible, but very difficult in practice.

You are correct, for a genuine position, most companies will not wait 22 months for the candidate to start work. It also bring up the question of whether the position is genuine or really needed if the employer can wait 22 months to fill the role.

Raul, is a bridging visa an option then? Our employer is very keen to sponsor but they can't wait which is fair enough.  I am planning on using a migration agent to sort it all but before I start laying out huge amounts of money I would like to know if it's a none starter or a genuine option. I have done so much reading but it's just not clear either way

1 hour ago, Mark B said:

Raul, is a bridging visa an option then? Our employer is very keen to sponsor but they can't wait which is fair enough.  I am planning on using a migration agent to sort it all but before I start laying out huge amounts of money I would like to know if it's a none starter or a genuine option. I have done so much reading but it's just not clear either way

Mark, you've got it back to front.  An agent like Raul or WRussell will give you an initial free consultation where they'll give you an idea whether it's worth proceeding or not. So go ahead and do that!

11 hours ago, Mark B said:

I also recommend you speak to Raul or wrussel. 

In theory, it is possible but carries some big risks. The big one being that if you were to go on a tourist visa, if immigration realised what was going on when you land, they will deny entry. This fm also result in a ban on reapplying for a visa.

Then, when you apply for the 187, a bridging visa would be automatically granted. But, with the same rights as the visa you were on - so no work rights. You can apply to have that changed, but there would be no guarantee.

Lastly, it is important you understand the 187. It has a obligation to work for the sponsor for at least two years and we do see instances on the forum of employers exploiting that