Relocation Package

horsemad1976

Morning all!

For those of you that were fortunate enough to gain employment (from the UK) with a relocation package as part of your deal what did it include?

Did it have a set value?

Or was it for specific items?

Was it claimed on expenses or paid up front?

What would you expect to received as a minimum in relocation package?

Was your visa (temporary or otherwise) included?

I appreciate everyone will have been able to negotiate differently - were trying to establish if our expectations are way off and if we’ll need to up our negotiating skills ?

Guest The Pom Queen

I think every company is different to what they offer. When I owned my own relocation company in Melbourne I found the majority were told that they would fund X,Y,Z up to a certain value rather than giving them a set budget. The majority claimed for flights, removals, first months accommodation and some would get a hire car. 

‘We did Once have a couple who complained because it didn’t include dining out for the first month and then another couple who were up in arms because they were given a Toyota for 2 months rental and they wanted a 4x4, which in Melbourne CBD was most certainly not needed. In fact they were living in the CBD and the job was a 20 minutes walk away so they didn’t even need a car.

Every firm is different. Sometimes they have an agent like Crown who book flights, find your accommodation, organise your container all up front with no expense to yourself.  Others will book your flights but then you pay for container and say accommodation for 2/4/6 weeks on arrival and you keep receipts and claim it back, with agreed expenses limits. Depends on the relocation policy of your new employer. 

Edited by Beffers

3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I think every company is different to what they offer. When I owned my own relocation company in Melbourne I found the majority were told that they would fund X,Y,Z up to a certain value rather than giving them a set budget. The majority claimed for flights, removals, first months accommodation and some would get a hire car. 

‘We did Once have a couple who complained because it didn’t include dining out for the first month and then another couple who were up in arms because they were given a Toyota for 2 months rental and they wanted a 4x4, which in Melbourne CBD was most certainly not needed. In fact they were living in the CBD and the job was a 20 minutes walk away so they didn’t even need a car.

Complained that it didn't include dining? Jeez... anyone would think they are on an 'All Inclusive Package Holiday" ??

• Haha 1

Mine was based on a temp visa - the old 457. We had a fixed value for shipping belongings, flights paid for, three weeks accommodation in a good hotel (a very nice one with a view of the Sydney harbour and included all meals and even the bar bill), a member of staff to be our assistant for the first week and a few other bits. 

• Like 1

Last year we got economy flights for the (then) 3 of us, shipping of belongings, 1 months accommodation and all insurances etc. Government position and the limit was $20k but needed the receipts. In the end we couldn't spend $20k (think it was $13k).

It did corrupt our shipping list however. When someone else is paying and you are nowhere near their expected limit.

We shipping GBP1 ikea glasses which probably added $2 each to the shipping cost because we'd have had to replace them here at our cost. Half broken furniture, towels etc

Most pointless shipped item was "50 Hampshire walks"

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If it's a temporary visa then the employer must provide a relocation package of some kind (there AND back). If it's a permanent visa then there are no obligations,.  It's not very common for employers to sponsor for a permanent visa these days.

The only obligation an employer has is to pay for the sponsorship, the nomination and the flight home if the employment ends and the visa holder leaves the country. 

• Like 2

We had a set fee which didn't include the visa or flights, they paid for them separately. The fee was to set ourselves up here whatever way we wanted to - we just had to spend the money from our own pocket and claim it back which didn't take long at all.

We used the money for the first 3 weeks accommodation and then when we got our rental (which we paid for) we furnished it fully with the relocation money. This meant we came with just checked/carry on bags and cases (10 in total).

We rented out our UK home and put our belongings and furniture in storage until 5 years later when we sold the UK home and purchased here.

• Like 1