UK or Australia? Please help!

Samba

Hi everyone, I'm new and I just need some help.

My family and I (me, husband and two young children) have moved to Sydney last November 2017 and at first, we loved it... However, as we got more settled, well, myself more, I've started to question whether it was the right move or not. 

We came on a sponsored visa via my husband. Anyway, I'm really struggling to adjust. I'm finding here so much more expensive than the UK. Everything... Housing, groceries, electricity bills, childcare... everything...not as many benefits on public health, etc, and I'm really questioning myself every day whether we made the right move coming here. I feel so isolated. Also, feels like Australia is about 30 years behind on everything....

Please, can you share your thoughts? Have you moved back to the UK and why? Or have you stayed here and why? I would love to hear everyone's opinions and pros and cons of living here.

Thanks so much?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Samba said:

My family and I (me, husband and two young children) have moved to Sydney last November 2017 and at first, we loved it... However, as we got more settled, well, myself more, I've started to question whether it was the right move or not. 

We came on a sponsored visa via my husband. Anyway, I'm really struggling to adjust. I'm finding here so much more expensive than the UK. Everything... Housing, groceries, electricity bills, childcare... everything...not as many benefits on public health, etc, and I'm really questioning myself every day whether we made the right move coming here. I feel so isolated. Also, feels like Australia is about 30 years behind on everything....

Please, can you share your thoughts? Have you moved back to the UK and why? Or have you stayed here and why? I would love to hear everyone's opinions and pros and cons of living here.

Thanks so much?

Hi, 

I read this and can tell you I feel exactly the same way.....except I'm talking about living in Bristol in the UK.  I feel like the UK is so far behind and I have so many issues with waiting times and the lack of choice in the NHS. I find the UK to be very depressing at the moment with the prospect of Brexit and austerity continuing! We are moving back to Oz later this year mainly because of this and I want my kids to grow up by the beach like I did. 

I have been here for 3 years and really struggled at first with a small child. But I started getting involved and that helped. 

I would say embrace all the free things there are to do, and that you can get outside without having to pack for every single weather occasion. Find an activity or group that you enjoy and get involved. I would say its great to have contact with some expat groups to bemoan the issues and challenges you are having, but make sure you have a balance with those who are enjoying it so you get both perspectives. I think the biggest issue people face is trying to live the same life they did back in their home country in a new environment. Do what the locals do!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MotherofMatilda said:

Hi, 

I read this and can tell you I feel exactly the same way.....except I'm talking about living in Bristol in the UK.  I feel like the UK is so far behind and I have so many issues with waiting times and the lack of choice in the NHS. I find the UK to be very depressing at the moment with the prospect of Brexit and austerity continuing! We are moving back to Oz later this year mainly because of this and I want my kids to grow up by the beach like I did. 

I have been here for 3 years and really struggled at first with a small child. But I started getting involved and that helped. 

I would say embrace all the free things there are to do, and that you can get outside without having to pack for every single weather occasion. Find an activity or group that you enjoy and get involved. I would say its great to have contact with some expat groups to bemoan the issues and challenges you are having, but make sure you have a balance with those who are enjoying it so you get both perspectives. I think the biggest issue people face is trying to live the same life they did back in their home country in a new environment. Do what the locals do!

Thank you so much for your reply. You're right about the problems with Brexit... ? I completely understand your point of view! And yes, not worrying about putting on 5 layers before going out is definitely a plus! ?
I'm adjusting still and trying to put everything on a scale. 

Ahh you're welcome. I do understand how lonely it can be at times. The hardest part is that people just don't understand your references /don't have a shared experience.  

Are you working outside the home? ( I hate it when people suggest that staying at home with the kids isn't work!)

I have a feeling its time to start getting a girl tribe together, so you have a connection with people that isn't about the kids or dependent on your husband.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotherofMatilda said:

Ahh you're welcome. I do understand how lonely it can be at times. The hardest part is that people just don't understand your references /don't have a shared experience.  

Are you working outside the home? ( I hate it when people suggest that staying at home with the kids isn't work!)

I have a feeling its time to start getting a girl tribe together, so you have a connection with people that isn't about the kids or dependent on your husband.

Indeed... it’s a bit hard!

not working yet as youngest bub is 6 months old. I was 33 weeks pregnant when we came? but I’m starting to look around already. I know this will help me settle but still struggle to come to terms with the prices here!! 

1 hour ago, Samba said:

Thanks so much?

Our IP indicator must be on the blink as you're showing up as posting from the UK at the moment.

I think it does take time to adjust -  I know I struggled with big numbers for the shopping (spending $300), forgetting that it wasn't pounds.  Some things are expensive here, but after a while it all becomes relative - one of the keys I found was to not constantly compare or work out how much it was in the UK

What do you mean - not as many benefits on public health - what do you feel you're missing out on? What do you feel is 30 years behind (might help us put things into perspective).  I find the public transport here (although in WA) better and cheaper than I did in the UK.

How does your husband feel about the move?  Does he want to go back?  Australia isn't for everyone, my ethos is that you only get one life and not to waste it being unhappy.

• Like 1

High cost of living   .......................  it all depends.  I've read here how some electricity bills are $1000 per quarter. ?  Our bills are less than a quarter of that.  Some can be dearer for I grudge the high cost of books here.  Supermarket items like detergents and other household stuff I stock up on when they're on special.  I go to independent deli/food shops for other things.  Public health I definitely have no problems with.  I haven't been back to the UK for nearly 4 years and compared to the supermarket prices and the price of clothes here, I didn't find that much of a difference.  That was in south west Scotland so could be dearer there.

It will take a while to feel settled especially with a new baby.  A huge move across the world with a young child and then having a baby soon after you arrived is massive.  I do admire you! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ali said:

Our IP indicator must be on the blink as you're showing up as posting from the UK at the moment.

I think it does take time to adjust -  I know I struggled with big numbers for the shopping (spending $300), forgetting that it wasn't pounds.  Some things are expensive here, but after a while it all becomes relative - one of the keys I found was to not constantly compare or work out how much it was in the UK

What do you mean - not as many benefits on public health - what do you feel you're missing out on? What do you feel is 30 years behind (might help us put things into perspective).  I find the public transport here (although in WA) better and cheaper than I did in the UK.

How does your husband feel about the move?  Does he want to go back?  Australia isn't for everyone, my ethos is that you only get one life and not to waste it being unhappy.

How weird about the IP! Lol...

regarding the public health - in the uk all prescriptions for children are free until they are 16 yrs old. Here you pay... and sometimes prices are high! Also for tests like ultrasounds or general x rays etc you’d have to pay for some part until you get a rebate from Medicare. Unless that’s different when you’re a citizen?

groceries prices I’m ok it’s just the house prices I feel are extremely expensive. It’s crazy!

my husband feels the same although he’s more distracted with his work but he’s worried about the financial side too and whether we would realistically be able to afford life here with two kids. 

26 minutes ago, Samba said:

groceries prices I’m ok it’s just the house prices I feel are extremely expensive. It’s crazy!

my husband feels the same although he’s more distracted with his work but he’s worried about the financial side too and whether we would realistically be able to afford life here with two kids. 

I think you are right to be worried about the price of housing.  Sydney is ludicrously expensive.  We sold up in Sydney a few years ago, went back to the UK for a while and when we came back, the 2-bedroom suburban townhouse we'd sold for $600,000 was worth over a million!  That's why we're in Melbourne now, where housing is about two-thirds the price.

I find it hard to imagine why anyone would choose to settle in Sydney because it's simply unaffordable - but remember, Sydney isn't the whole of Australia. Everywhere else is cheaper!   

You mentioned your husband is on a sponsored visa.  Is that a 457, which means you're only temporary anyway?  If that's the case, you can't buy a house yet, and there's absolutely no guarantee you'll be able to get a permanent visa anyway. So why not focus on enjoying the adventure while it lasts and plan to return at the end of the contract. If, by that time, you discover you're enjoying yourself after all - then you can look at applying for a permanent visa and perhaps relocate somewhere cheaper.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

High cost of living   .......................  it all depends.  I've read here how some electricity bills are $1000 per quarter. ?  Our bills are less than a quarter of that.  Some can be dearer for I grudge the high cost of books here.  Supermarket items like detergents and other household stuff I stock up on when they're on special.  I go to independent deli/food shops for other things.  Public health I definitely have no problems with.  I haven't been back to the UK for nearly 4 years and compared to the supermarket prices and the price of clothes here, I didn't find that much of a difference.  That was in south west Scotland so could be dearer there.

It will take a while to feel settled especially with a new baby.  A huge move across the world with a young child and then having a baby soon after you arrived is massive.  I do admire you! ?

Well, ours came $1100 this quarter from Winter heating... It is insane really.  But mostly because houses aren't really properly built I think so no heat stays in. 
Groceries prices I can sort of deal with. And with Medicare - it may change for PRs or citizens but I find it quite expensive when you need to buy prescriptions or do a test such as ultrasounds or anything else you may need. 

What scares me is the house prices. Feels like we will never be able to buy here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think you are right to be worried about the price of housing.  Sydney is ludicrously expensive.  We sold up in Sydney a few years ago, went back to the UK for a while and when we came back, the 2-bedroom suburban townhouse we'd sold for $600,000 was worth over a million!  That's why we're in Melbourne now, where housing is about two-thirds the price.

I find it hard to imagine why anyone would choose to settle in Sydney because it's simply unaffordable - but remember, Sydney isn't the whole of Australia. Everywhere else is cheaper!   

You mentioned your husband is on a sponsored visa.  Is that a 457, which means you're only temporary anyway?  If that's the case, you can't buy a house yet, and there's absolutely no guarantee you'll be able to get a permanent visa anyway. So why not focus on enjoying the adventure while it lasts and plan to return at the end of the contract. If, by that time, you discover you're enjoying yourself after all - then you can look at applying for a permanent visa and perhaps relocate somewhere cheaper.

I'm with you. I have no idea how people afford to live here. But for the area my husband works for - advertising/media - he needs to be in the city. 

Yes, it is the 457. But there may be a possibility to extend or try for PR? I'm not really sure to be honest. I know we can't buy yet but we're just trying to visualise what will be possible or not.
And YES, in the meantime, I'm certainly enjoying the opportunity to live in this beautiful country. It's a blessing really. ? x

• Like 1

I look at Sydney as being a similar housing market to London.  I recently looked at the street in Brixton where I rented a grotty bedsit for 50 quid a week in the early 90s.  Today, you’d get no change from half a million for a ‘luxury’ one bed appartment.  Needless to say, I couldn’t afford to live there now.  Same with Sydney, but I don’t know what the answer is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samba said:

I'm with you. I have no idea how people afford to live here. But for the area my husband works for - advertising/media - he needs to be in the city. 

Yes, it is the 457. But there may be a possibility to extend or try for PR? I'm not really sure to be honest. I know we can't buy yet but we're just trying to visualise what will be possible or not.
And YES, in the meantime, I'm certainly enjoying the opportunity to live in this beautiful country. It's a blessing really. ? x

As Peach says, prices in Sydney are comparable to London, could you afford to live or buy a house in London? 

You haven’t been here very long, and have had to cope with a major move and a new baby, I’ve been there although a long time ago, and it’s tough. I moved on average every 2 years when our 3 were small due to my husband’s job, so really sympathise. Join a mums and baby group if there is one near you.

as others have mentioned you learn to buy when things are on offer, shop at Aldi if you have one near you, the Reject Shop, go to a bulk bill Dr. for some things you can chop and change Drs here. 

Can’t help with the heating bills, but having a few warm throws helps to keep the chill away, and winter doesn’t last too long here.

Do hope you begin to feel happier, try to get out and about and explore your new neighbourhood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peach said:

I look at Sydney as being a similar housing market to London.  I recently looked at the street in Brixton where I rented a grotty bedsit for 50 quid a week in the early 90s.  Today, you’d get no change from half a million for a ‘luxury’ one bed appartment.  Needless to say, I couldn’t afford to live there now.  Same with Sydney, but I don’t know what the answer is.

Yes London prices are just as bad. However if you live on the outskirts you could easily afford a decent property and still have a fairly ok commute to central London on the train. ? thanks for your input, it’s been so helpful 

8 minutes ago, ramot said:

As Peach says, prices in Sydney are comparable to London, could you afford to live or buy a house in London? 

You haven’t been here very long, and have had to cope with a major move and a new baby, I’ve been there although a long time ago, and it’s tough. I moved on average every 2 years when our 3 were small due to my husband’s job, so really sympathise. Join a mums and baby group if there is one near you.

as others have mentioned you learn to buy when things are on offer, shop at Aldi if you have one near you, the Reject Shop, go to a bulk bill Dr. for some things you can chop and change Drs here. 

Can’t help with the heating bills, but having a few warm throws helps to keep the chill away, and winter doesn’t last too long here.

Do hope you begin to feel happier, try to get out and about and explore your new neighbourhood.

Thank you so much. I’m keen to make the most of it and Australia is a beautiful country. It’s just one of those things you go through when adapting/adjusting I think ?

10 hours ago, Samba said:

Yes London prices are just as bad. However if you live on the outskirts you could easily afford a decent property and still have a fairly ok commute to central London on the train. ? thanks for your input, it’s been so helpful 

Not so sure your comment about living on the outskirts is true any more.  If you wanted to live in Swindon (an hour and 15 minutes from Paddington) a family home would cost you north of 300,000GBP and an annual season ticket for the train more than 8,000GBP (you'd also have to pay for parking at the station another 10 quid a day). 

• Like 2

November 2017 to now? That's only getting over the jetlag (so I've been told). It takes a good two years (and then some for some people) to know if it's the right move or not. I would say make the most of it, do things you couldn't do and see in the UK. Go out, have fun, meet new people, go to new groups, join some clubs. Get involved. If then after the two year mark you still feel the same, then if you can, move on (there's no moving 'back' unless you have a time machine). At the worst you've done and seen a bunch of new things and possibly made some new friends.... at best..., well, anything is possible.

29 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

November 2017 to now? That's only getting over the jetlag (so I've been told). It takes a good two years (and then some for some people) to know if it's the right move or not. I would say make the most of it, do things you couldn't do and see in the UK. Go out, have fun, meet new people, go to new groups, join some clubs. Get involved. If then after the two year mark you still feel the same, then if you can, move on (there's no moving 'back' unless you have a time machine). At the worst you've done and seen a bunch of new things and possibly made some new friends.... at best..., well, anything is possible.

3-5 years minimum.  Anything less is simply a piss take 

On 12/08/2018 at 18:05, Toots said:

17 hours ago, Ozzie said:

i love that. thank you 

Hi we lived in the Sutherland Shire too when we moved over here 6years ago with 3 kids. We rented in Illawong we had moved in the middle of the GFC had sold our house for less than we paid for it and found to our dispair we couldn’t afford to buy anything anywhere in Sydney as the prices went crazy as soon as we got here. We came on PR. Eventually we bought a cheap piece of land in south west Sydney in a new suburb and have just moved into our new home we built there. We never imagined it would take so long to get our own place though.
We absolutely love Australia and became citizens last year. Keep going I really promise you it’s worth it, both my husband and I work in the CBD and have quite a commute each day but it’s worth it for great jobs and our lovely home. Our kids most importantly are settled and happy. We go back to the U.K. at the end of the year for a holiday to catch up with family it will be interesting how the kids find it!

• Like 2