FLIGHTS

paulswin

What price did you see?

Are you flexible where you initially fly to? Go to www.kayak.co.uk and type in Perth as the departure airport and then put a few airport codes with a comma between them as the destination ie: PER as the departure airport and LPL,LON,MAN,GLA in the destination section and it will find the cheapest flight between Perth and those cities. Then you can drill down using the left hand side menu to select stops, length of journey etc.  If you fly to another city other than London you can take a cheap internal flight or train.

It can also be cheaper to fly from another Australian capital city, even with an internal flight from Perth first.

Also look into taking a very elcheapo flight to an Asian country and fly from there. We booked two separate one way tickets - Glasgow to Singapore, had a few nights there, and then Singapore to Brisbane and it was cheaper than buying one one way ticket from Glasgow to Brisbane.

It can be cheaper (really) to book a return flight but then not take the return leg. Sometimes you are charged for a 'no show' but even with that it can be cheaper.

Edited by Guest

What Ozzie says.  I've found Skyscanner really good.  If you look carefully, you'll see you can add "Add nearby airports"  so you get more options.  You can also ask it to search for the whole month, not just a particular day, and then it will find the cheapest flight during that time.

Do you have to go back to London?  If you're going back to somewhere else in the UK, it may be cheaper to fly to a European airport, then buy a cheapie ticket from there.

For instance, when I used to go back to Aberdeen, I booked my return ticket to Amsterdam airport, and then I'd buy a cheap return flight from Amsterdam to Aberdeen separately (there were plenty of commuter flights Amsterdam-Aberdeen in those days due to the oil industry, so the price was always good). I used to save quite a bit;

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What Ozzie says.  I've found Skyscanner really good.  If you look carefully, you'll see you can add "Add nearby airports"  so you get more options.  You can also ask it to search for the whole month, not just a particular day, and then it will find the cheapest flight during that time.

Do you have to go back to London?  If you're going back to somewhere else in the UK, it may be cheaper to fly to a European airport, then buy a cheapie ticket from there.

For instance, when I used to go back to Aberdeen, I booked my return ticket to Amsterdam airport, and then I'd buy a cheap return flight from Amsterdam to Aberdeen separately (there were plenty of commuter flights Amsterdam-Aberdeen in those days due to the oil industry, so the price was always good). I used to save quite a bit;

Thanks for that I wasnt sure if Skyscanner was legit as I looked at Expedia but there were alot of bad reviews!  Will also look into flying to Europe first!!

35 minutes ago, paulswin said:

Thanks for that I wasnt sure if Skyscanner was legit as I looked at Expedia but there were alot of bad reviews!  Will also look into flying to Europe first!!

Skyscanner is just a search engine.  You don't book anything with them, it just gives you a list of travel companies and the prices they're offering.

Guest The Pom Queen

You can get to Greece for $300 with Scoot from the East Coast, don’t know how cheap you could pick up the remainder of the fares. They also do Singapore for $129

13 hours ago, ramot said:

Worth checking if it’s cheaper, flying to Amsterdam with KLM/Cathay Pacific. Then onwards to Bristol, very handy for Swindon. Not a route you would automatically consider. 

Flew Cathay to Gatwick on last trip home. V impressed and they were one of the cheapest too! Often thought about alternative airports - can get deals going into Norway & Sweden too

On 23/07/2018 at 07:42, paulswin said:

Anyone know how to get cheaper one way flights Perth to London?  I about fell off my chair when I saw the price!!!!

Try Trailfinders but they may not do anything for you as they are UK based.

My understanding is you have most legal protections if you book direct with the airline not thro a booking site unless they are protected by one of the protection options like AABTA in the UK, but even then you have to be really careful as you are doing a one way and often that negates any protections as you are not returning to the jurisdiction, there are some airlines which fly via their bases in Asia which are cheap and give you an option to stopover in a local hotel.

The problem with flying into Europe and doing a short hop is luggage, the tourist UK airlines limit what they will carry and charge mega bucks for extras.

Before you book anything check whether you can get one way travel insurance especially if you do a stop over.

I think cheapest tickets icome out about 3months in advance of booking and are very seasonally based and a move of date by a f ew days can make a big difference

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

32 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Try Trailfinders but they may not do anything for you as they are UK based.

My understanding is you have most legal protections if you book direct with the airline not thro a booking site unless they are protected by one of the protection options like AABTA in the UK, but even then you have to be really careful as you are doing a one way and often that negates any protections as you are not returning to the jurisdiction, there are some airlines which fly via their bases in Asia which are cheap and give you an option to stopover in a local hotel.

The problem with flying into Europe and doing a short hop is luggage, the tourist UK airlines limit what they will carry and charge mega bucks for extras.

Before you book anything check whether you can get one way travel insurance especially if you do a stop over.

I think cheapest tickets icome out about 3months in advance of booking and are very seasonally based and a move of date by a f ew days can make a big difference

I think most airlines flying international schedule routes that you would book to continue your flight on from Australia to UK  via in our case from Amsterdam, average 23kgs. You can perhaps pay for a higher allowance if you need extra? We have flown BA and Easyjet and KLM when connecting Amsterdam to Either Heathrow or Bristol, we have never had a luggage weight restriction problem.

You would be unlikely to be able to book on a tourist holiday charter flight, unless things have changed.

Edited by ramot

3 hours ago, ramot said:

I think most airlines flying international schedule routes that you would book to continue your flight on from Australia to UK  via in our case from Amsterdam, average 23kgs. You can perhaps pay for a higher allowance if you need extra? We have flown BA and Easyjet and KLM when connecting Amsterdam to Either Heathrow or Bristol, we have never had a luggage weight restriction problem.

You would be unlikely to be able to book on a tourist holiday charter flight, unless things have changed.

I was referring to Ryanair, jet2 and monarch with whom you can get bargain flights across Europe and even Turkish airlines but like I say they charge separately for luggage I mention it because people were saying fly into Europe places and then get bargain connections

3 hours ago, ramot said:

I think most airlines flying international schedule routes that you would book to continue your flight on from Australia to UK  via in our case from Amsterdam, average 23kgs.

I think @BacktoDemocracy was referring to the idea I suggested, which is NOT to book your whole trip as one journey. 

Say you book your flight from, say, Sydney to Heathrow via Amsterdam through a travel agent, the whole journey will be charged at international rates and your luggage will be booked all the way through.  However, I found that if I booked my Sydney to Amsterdam flight on its own, and then separately booked a flight with Flybe or Ryanair, it worked out much cheaper.  

I can see that wouldn't be a good option for the OP because (I assume) he's going home for good.  I was usually travelling with a fairly empty suitcase on the leg home (to fill up at M&S and Boots),  so it was no hardship to pick up my luggage in Amsterdam and have to check it in again.

Edited by Marisawright

34 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think @BacktoDemocracy was referring to the idea I suggested, which is NOT to book your whole trip as one journey. 

Say you book your flight from, say, Sydney to Heathrow via Amsterdam through a travel agent, the whole journey will be charged at international rates and your luggage will be booked all the way through.  However, I found that if I booked my Sydney to Amsterdam flight on its own, and then separately booked a flight with Flybe or Ryanair, it worked out much cheaper.  

I can see that wouldn't be a good option for the OP because (I assume) he's going home for good.  I was usually travelling with a fairly empty suitcase on the leg home (to fill up at M&S and Boots),  so it was no hardship to pick up my luggage in Amsterdam and have to check it in again.

It depends of course what airport you want to land in in UK, and how long between connecting flights. We only want Heathrow or Bristol so the choice is limited. Prefer to pay a bit more to land in Bristol and only 30 mins to our son. Heathrow is 2nd choice and certainly not interested in Stanstead or Luton, or London City, even if cheaper.  I understand ticketing, having worked for airlines, and my husband loves working out the best price and routes. as we go back every year.

Edited by ramot