Where to live Brisbane Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast ??

kelsta08

Hi there I’m English living in uk at the moment with my English partner I grew up in Perth as a child to adult been living back in uk for the past 5 years was looking at moving back over with my partner and our baby daughter but unsure which part to move to was looking at Sunshine Coast or Brisbane mainly where are good schools and easy to get work and not too expensive rents ? Thanks Kelly

The Gold Coast is the busiest of the two, and the Sunshine Coast is pretty laid back.  Personally I prefer the Sunshine Coast, though if you like hustle and bustle it might not be enough for you.

I have a bunch of kids and we like quieter areas where we can spend a lot of time outdoors with them, so the Gold Coast is just a bit crowded for me.  I just prefer the more laid back vibe.

• Like 1

Yeh I think we would defo love the Sunshine Coast I have been to the Gold Coast I really did like it but yeh it’s well busy there also is caloundra very expensive to live because we would be looking for a cheap rental and for work I’m a hairdresser would I be able to get plenty of work tnere are tnere many salons in Sunshine Coast ? Xxx

Aw brilliant that’s good then hun hooefully I will get a local job straight away as il need to be working full time as my partner won’t be able to work for 3 months coz of his visa how far is he Great Barrier Reef from you have you been ? Xx

8 hours ago, kelsta08 said:

Aw brilliant that’s good then hun hooefully I will get a local job straight away as il need to be working full time as my partner won’t be able to work for 3 months coz of his visa how far is he Great Barrier Reef from you have you been ? Xx

Why would your partner not be able to work for 3 months? If you apply for his partner visa in U.K. then it’d probably be issued quite quickly and he would be able to work straight away. I hope he’s not planning on going on a tourist visa then lying to Immigration about his intentions - that could result in a 3 year ban, not just 3 months out of work.

• Like 1

O really omg I didn’t even know this just what I was told thankyou so much for telling me someone was going to do our visa but we will defo do it this end now and bloody hell 3 year ban hey my god nope we defo do it this end now thanks again xx

O really omg I didn’t even know this just what I was told thankyou so much for telling me someone was going to do our visa but we will defo do it this end now and bloody hell 3 year ban hey my god nope we defo do it this end now thanks again xx

There was a post on here just last week from someone who knew a friend’s partner had been turned around at the border and banned. So even though some folk might have done it, it rather depends how risk averse you are. Not something I would be doing especially when offshore visas are being processed much quicker than onshore visas. Living on a bridging visa isn’t always too flash either. Not a great prospect for employers to consider.

Have you got your daughter’s citizenship and passport sorted?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kelsta08 said:

We Just about got her sorted just still doing her paper work really OMG yes and to settle tnere And get told to go home would be pants do you kno anyone or recommend anyone to do my partners visa here in uk ? X

It doesn't matter where the migration agent is. You can hire an agent who's in Australia and he can submit the application on your behalf even if you're still in the UK.  However, if the agent is advising your partner to come in on a tourist visa, I'd sack the agent. 

If you want to use a migration agent, choose one of the ones on these forums like @wrussell or @Raul Senise, you know they're reputable.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @kelsta08 I think your choice between the Sunshine or Gold Coast or Brisbane may also depend on age. I would say the Sunshine Coast would be more suited to families aged 40 years upwards or people of retirement age. I think young families may prefer Brisbane or the Gold Coast as there is more going on, especially if you can find a babysitter. 

‘Personally I prefer the Sunshine Coast because it’s more peaceful and picturesque. I have taken family to both and they loved them equally for different reasons. In fact my 70 year old mother loved Surfers Paradise which for me is too loud and full of bogans.

Guest The Pom Queen
16 hours ago, kelsta08 said:

Can anyone tell me has tne sunshine coAst got Everything you need there like shops wise has it big shopping complexes too ? X

The Sunshine Coast is set in to areas, these areas have a main CBD and smaller suburbs around it. I would say you will find hairdressers in every suburb. 

‘Some of the areas are

‘Caloundra 

Buderim

Nambour

Coolum

Maroochydore

For shopping centres I think your largest one would be the Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre. You also have a Stocklands in Caloundra.

I think @ramot may be able to help you more with facilities, areas etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
16 hours ago, kelsta08 said:

Has it gyms and cinemas too and is tnere plenty of things to do basically has it good schools too ?

School wise are you looking at government, church or private.

Matthew Flinders Anglican are probably the best of all the schools and Sunshine Beach is probably the best state school.

48 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @kelsta08 I think your choice between the Sunshine or Gold Coast or Brisbane may also depend on age. I would say the Sunshine Coast would be more suited to families aged 40 years upwards or people of retirement age. I think young families may prefer Brisbane or the Gold Coast as there is more going on, especially if you can find a babysitter. 

‘Personally I prefer the Sunshine Coast because it’s more peaceful and picturesque. I have taken family to both and they loved them equally for different reasons. In fact my 70 year old mother loved Surfers Paradise which for me is too loud and full of bogans.

My son loved his single life on the Coast in his early 30’s. and would move back in a heartbeat if the right job was here. 

Youie the insurance company has moved here and there is a brand new hospital.

Buderim Mountain Primary school has over 1,000 pupils and Mountain Creek High is I think possibly the largest secondary in Qld? Plus has a feeder primary.

A good choice of both public and private schools, some of the private schools are faith schools.

There are new primary and secondary schools opening so younger parents must be moving here.

One of my sons friends has children at a local primary school and they love the school. It’s no different to a UK one, l

Was talking to friends recently and we reckon the demographics have changed with more young people and lots of new housing.

There is lots going on on the Coast, but it isn’t  the Gold Coast. On a clear run it’s an hour 15 to central Brisbane. 1 hour to Brisbane.airport, and there is a local airport near Maroochydore. 

Friends of my son have children at a local primary school, and they love the school, good PTA, plenty of activities, no different to a UK one.

Edited by ramot

Hi [mention=270863]kelsta08[/mention] I think your choice between the Sunshine or Gold Coast or Brisbane may also depend on age. I would say the Sunshine Coast would be more suited to families aged 40 years upwards or people of retirement age. I think young families may prefer Brisbane or the Gold Coast as there is more going on, especially if you can find a babysitter. 

Ok thanks Hun this helps xx can you tell me if Brisbane has beaches close by Aswell ? Xx

Guest The Pom Queen
7 hours ago, kelsta08 said:

Ok thanks Hun this helps xx can you tell me if Brisbane has beaches close by Aswell ? Xx

Yes it does. They also have a lovely man made lagoon with beach in the city, surrounded by parklands, cafes and playgrounds for the kids.

564C1A48-482B-43C7-A649-374F5EE9D577.jpeg

961F7A31-7853-4184-9C66-9CAE476D8EF8.jpeg

96435DA5-A53A-4198-9AF5-7253DDEE5463.jpeg

I would see Redcliffe would probably be the most popular beach for the city people.

ED1635DB-43A6-4159-9240-E939DB673C5F.jpeg

EAAA13D7-0B04-44D1-B299-C0D5FC000F2F.jpeg

Looks fabulous can’t wait think it’s looking Gold Coast or Brisbane for me now xx looks like there’s more going on Sunshine Coast does look lovely too but I think I’d like to be where there’s more going on for my little one xx

Does anyone know where some of the best suberbs to live in brisbane are and the Gold Coast somebody told me that surfers has a lot of crime there. Now don’t kno how true this is ? X
Surfers is a tourist area (especially for younger people) so you will have an increased amount of crime. Also an increased amount of traffic, noise, etc. The sunshine coast is also a tourist area but more quiet.

For Brisbane I quite like the Northern side. There are areas such as Aspley that have good connections via bus and trains to the CBD. The public transport is great in Brisbane. (Compared to the North onlf England).