Advice on returning to UK

13 hours ago, tea4too said:

Anyway, Livvy -  I am sorry you have decided to withdraw from PIO, but hope you find the support and peace of mind you need and deserve. And Cortlepuss, the Mumbles is beautiful – your sister has taste?. T x

Did I miss something? Where did Livvy (the OP) say she was withdrawing from PIO?   

Edited by Marisawright

While the UK may be a good choice for some to go back to, I do find the sly racist digs tiresome.

As if people in the UK are so friendly and will stop and say hello, implying in Australia no one says hello when you are out. That is an untrue racist dig at Australia.

Australia is just as friendly as the UK.

I always smile and say good morning to people when I am out walking my dogs and people respond and chat to you.

In any country you have to look approachable and smile at someone or say G'Day. If you look at the ground as you walk past, then no one will speak to you in any country.

While the UK may be a good choice for some to go back to, I do find the sly racist digs tiresome.
As if people in the UK are so friendly and will stop and say hello, implying in Australia no one says hello when you are out. That is an untrue racist dig at Australia.
I always smile and say good morning to people when I am out walking my dogs and people respond and chat to you.
In any country you have to look approachable and smile at someone or say G'Day. If you look at the ground as you walk past, then no one will speak to you in any country.
That's a little harsh. I do not find the comments on here racist. Just sharing life experience..
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MelT said:
12 minutes ago, Parley said:

That's a little harsh. I do not find the comments on here racist. Just sharing life experience..

No, It is a racist generalisation not a life experience.

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

No, It is a racist generalisation not a life experience.

I suppose if you are lonely, homesick and depressed it would seem that people aren't friendly.  No place like home and all that.

I've experienced unfriendly, rude gobshites in both countries as well as a few other countries too.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

It doesn’t take long to turn these threads into an Aus V UK rant! Personally I want to retire to UK as my friends and family are there - I know quite a few people here in Brisbane who plan to retire here - particularly ones to whom the warmer climate, sporting opportunities etc are important. OK to want different things and liking one country does NOT imply you dislike  the other. I have just  had a fabulous break in the UK and wanted to reassure the OP that despite some of the bad news we receive it is still a lovely place to retire. Perhaps i’ll do some more research on the Mumbles now!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry but I couldn't ignore that racist comment from Melbpom.
It is just blatant racism and untrue.
Absolute nonsense. I have just re-read the post and it is not in the slightest bit racist.

Can't people just be happy for a positive outcome for someone whatever country they live in?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Parley, if you're going to get all hyper-sensitive and affronted every time anyone compares Australia unfavourably to the UK then at least get it right. By no one's definition apart from yours could Melbpom's post be seen as racist. For one thing, Australians are a nation not a race. Modern Australia is populated by people from a wide range of  racial backgrounds, but Australians are not a race in themselves. If you're looking for a definition of racism then the Oxford Dictionary has this;

'A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.'

Is that really what you read in Melbpom's post? Because, what I read was that she felt that strangers in the UK were friendlier towards her and her son than strangers in Australia were.

Not really a 'racist dig' is it?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

'A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.'

Is that really what you read in Melbpom's post? Because, what I read was that she felt that strangers in the UK were friendlier towards her and her son than strangers in Australia were.

Not really a 'racist dig' is it?

That statement sums up exactly what he implied, that British as a people are more friendly and helpful than Australians.

So yes it is exactly a racist dig as it is ridiculous to generalise about all British as more friendly and helpful (superior) than Australians.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

I thought that over the past few months the Australia v UK posts were far fewer - thankfully.  I'm hoping it's going to stay that way.  ?

For that to happen Toots, people need to stick to making factual statements.

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

I thought that over the past few months the Australia v UK posts were far fewer - thankfully.  I'm hoping it's going to stay that way.  ?

Nice sentiments Toots, but never going to happen is it? Too many posters in both camps who dislike one country and who want to belittle those who are either happy there or who want to move there.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, ramot said:

Sorry but I think you are picking up on things that I write unnecessarily. I did not say the poster criticised Australia, I wrote that I don’t criticise UK. It’s up to you how you interpret my posts, but I am beginning to take offence to be honest. I am an even minded member of PIO like to think over the approximately 10 years of membership I have both received and given help and hopefully not bewildered to many.

I dithered about my earlier post, but decided I'm a big girl now and should be able to clarify something without confrontation or causing offence if I choose my words carefully. Clearly I failed! So apologies, and I will leave the thread  rather than risk derailing it further. T x

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Parley said:

I'm sorry but I couldn't ignore that racist comment from Melbpom.

It is just blatant racism and untrue.

Dear Parley, if it makes your day interpreting my post as racist, then go for it, enjoy yourself. I don't care.

Apologies to OP for the direction this thread has taken.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 12:43, Marisawright said:

Did I miss something? Where did Livvy (the OP) say she was withdrawing from PIO?   

Like me you never leave POMS IN OZ once you have been here trust me I have been coming back for donkey years just hoping I find that little something that gets me of the couch and on the plane and maybe some happiness while I can enjoy it.  She will be back and we will all still be herexx