UK economy slowing.

Sandgroper

3 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

Doesn't feel like the economy is slowing here, in fact it's the opposite. I was also in Manchester last week and the place feels very buoyant, dare I say booming. It's maybe a north south thing.

thank you ...at last ...same here in the w.mids

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

That's just your opinion which you are entitled to have. My opinion is the decision to leave will go down in history as being one of stupidest things the country's ever done. 

and when the e.u in its current form falls into a hole , due to greed , short term thinking , and disrespect for the resident populations and their distinctive cultures , built up over centuries.

I will be back to remind a few on here .

the u.k will have a hit short term , but we have dodged a bullet

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

And it continues to take its toll https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-car-sales-drop-brexit-jaguar-land-rover-investment-smmt-a8432276.html

Sorry posted before I saw your post, but the UK is booming apparently!! All because the roads are full of haulage ? and some builder said it is.

you keep putting up your posts from newspapers

why the concern about tbe u.k anyway ?....you don't live here?

the u.k in the main ,as other posters have informed is doing very well

but thanks for your concern

loads of work ...good money ...weathers good ...england are doing ok in the footy

all good ?

13 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

bury your head ...its coming ...italy , germany , austria ...the dutch .

the e.u is starting to crack .

keep reading the guardian ,ifit makes you happy .

cheerio ..

Lets face it every country you quote has a real problem with populist, nationalist political parties whose only intention is to disrupt the EU, is that what you are in thrall to, extremist political parties wedded to returning Europe to a series of competing nation states.

The right wing parties in the Italian coalition want to split Italy back to N and S states like in the 1800's, great!!!

Have you looked at what is happening in Hungary and Poland, if you think that is preferable to the EU then It seems clear to me where you stand on the political spectrum. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

And it continues to take its toll https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-car-sales-drop-brexit-jaguar-land-rover-investment-smmt-a8432276.html

Sorry posted before I saw your post, but the UK is booming apparently!! All because the roads are full of haulage ? and some builder said it is.

Full of trucks taking parts to car factories.

Oh, sh*t no car factories no trucks,

No car factories, no jobs, no more building work.

Really you don't need a PhD in economics do you??? 

Once these firms leave they ain't coming back

China is proposing a rail track across into Europe, end of times once these companies start to crank things down and move

Keynesian economics is going to become relevant again, free trade economics is starting to fail and just a small reduction in demand as confidence wanes is having a disproportionate effect on the High st, exactly as Keynes posited with his multiplier effect

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Lets face it every country you quote has a real problem with populist, nationalist political parties whose only intention is to disrupt the EU, is that what you are in thrall to, extremist political parties wedded to returning Europe to a series of competing nation states.

The right wing parties in the Italian coalition want to split Italy back to N and S states like in the 1800's, great!!!

Have you looked at what is happening in Hungary and Poland, if you think that is preferable to the EU then It seems clear to me where you stand on the political spectrum. 

putting the cart before the horse AGAIN !!!!

These counties are electing right wing parties ,because of the policies of the e.u .

who are you to question where I stand on the political spectrum ,

once again ,and for the record

these nationalist parties are springing up in Poland , Hungary ,Italy ...because of the bloody e.u .

They didn't just appear out of thin air for no reason.

Poland of all places has had its dose of nationalism dished out on it recent years ...first the Germans ,then the Russians .

the Dutch are hardly known as raving nationalists either

but I did warn you what would happen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Full of trucks taking parts to car factories.

Oh, sh*t no car factories no trucks,

No car factories, no jobs, no more building work.

Really you don't need a PhD in economics do you??? 

Once these firms leave they ain't coming back

China is proposing a rail track across into Europe, end of times once these companies start to crank things down and move

Keynesian economics is going to become relevant again, free trade economics is starting to fail and just a small reduction in demand as confidence wanes is having a disproportionate effect on the High st, exactly as Keynes posited with his multiplier effect

another glass half full post again .

you can always go back to oz or over to europe and leave us in peace

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

These counties are electing right wing parties ,because of the policies of the e.u .

these nationalist parties are springing up in Poland , Hungary ,Italy ...because of the bloody e.u .

Poland of all places has had its dose of nationalism dished out on it recent years ...first the Germans ,then the Russians .

Never heard of Gert Wilders.

10 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

It's easy to comment on where we are but its a lot harder to make a judgement about where we are going and what could happen.

Optimism is fine but gives you no back up

3 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

No its called having a different philosophical viewpoint based on something other than the thoughts of the Tap room ranter.

as i said ...we had a democratic vote .

if you don't like your perceived future , pack your bags

it is that simple .

if you believe in the e.u project ,there are 27 countries to chose from or back to oz

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

It's easy to comment on where we are but its a lot harder to make a judgement about where we are going and what could happen.

Optimism is fine but gives you no back up

you havent answered my question .

why the rise of the far right ?

its not economics ,so what is it

instead of moaning and grumbling ,look at the root cause .

its buckling ,and you ,and others are still trying to defend the e.u

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

you havent answered my question .

why the rise of the far right ?

its not economics ,so what is it

instead of moaning and grumbling ,look at the root cause .

its buckling ,and you ,and others are still trying to defend the e.u

The rise of the far right is due to a couple of factors.  Former eastern bloc countries have little experience of liberal democracy so have a taste for a for of authoritarian rule.  Populist fascists are more attractive to many.

The far right only need to stir up fear and hatred to prosper.  Hitler used the largely imagined fear of Judaism but modern fascists have a far easier target in Moslems who are streaming into Europe by the million.  The irony that this mass exodus has in no small measure been caused by the likes of the UK and USA and their military forays there is often lost on you.  Having lit the fire both the US and the UK are now working to close their borders leaving the EU to clear up the mess.  Little wonder it is struggling.

• Like 2