UK economy slowing.

Sandgroper

Land Rover is moving Diesel production to Slovakia, but will convert Solihull plant to make electric models.

Rolls Royce are slashing jobs because they are under pressure due to engine fan blade issues.

Generally confidence is a little low due to uncertainty around BREXIT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Land Rover is moving Diesel production to Slovakia, but will convert Solihull plant to make electric models.

Rolls Royce are slashing jobs because they are under pressure due to engine fan blade issues.

Good to know they will be still using the plant at Solihull in another way it's pretty iconic, currently 1800 staff are temp through an agency I guess it's easier to get rid of them.

• Haha 1

On 15/6/2018 at 04:31, Sandgroper said:

Good to know they will be still using the plant at Solihull in another way it's pretty iconic, currently 1800 staff are temp through an agency I guess it's easier to get rid of them.

I won't even bother to go thro the well rehearsed reasons why the economy is slowing, but, inflation is increasing officially and unofficially inflation is hitting things like fuel, food, transport and rents.

I think it is more of a psychological issue of perceived poverty rather than people actually being substantively poorer, although when Poundland folds it does feel like the fear of  poverty is a reality for a rising number of people, whatever it is it seems people are feeling less confident about the future.

The official statistics show unemployment is  very low and employment expanding but High st spending is reducing, my guess is that well paid jobs with good conditions attached are becoming less and less available and employment growth is in insecure jobs so people do not feel that they can spend with impunity.

• Like 2

On 14/06/2018 at 10:50, Jon the Hat said:

I think Land Rover have to do that, no future in diesel so best tactic is to offload it to slovakia,  electric and hybrid models are the key to the future,  I understand initial job loss, but future more employment, the trick will be how quickly they can convert the production line, I would suggest there will be much VS in the short term.

Yes, Brexit is an absolute shambles,  where we work in and around the city, GPDR, Brexit and Mifid including the multitude of euro based disengagement and cost saving programs, never been busier - quite a lot of work, but also quite a lot of frogs to kiss too , but you are correct there is an underlying uncertainty and that's not ideal.  

Edited by deryans

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:01, Sandgroper said:

UK economy slowest growth since 2012, manufacturing at a 17 month low. Rolls Royce slashing jobs Land Rover slowly moving production away from the UK. I thought things were improving why the sudden down turn?

is it slowing , it doesn't feel like it .

just discussing this with a builder yesterday .

everyone we know is stacked out .

must be even more pronounced in the south east .

• Like 1

Just now, bunbury61 said:

is it slowing , it doesn't feel like it .

just discussing this with a builder yesterday .

everyone we know is stacked out .

must be even more pronounced in the south east .

he was saying , people are buying bigger houses , better cars , and better holidays ....and this was in the West midlands ?

UK Economy could come to an almost  complete stop and still be 100% faster than South Australia.

The sheer volume and momentum of the UK market is astonishing,  yes Brexit is a shambles but presents amazing opportunity for us, but by and large, its very vibrant here, way more than adelayed or safe-astral-leeya.

On 14/06/2018 at 09:01, Sandgroper said:

UK economy slowest growth since 2012, manufacturing at a 17 month low. Rolls Royce slashing jobs Land Rover slowly moving production away from the UK. I thought things were improving why the sudden down turn?

Sad thing is we would be booming if it wasn't for the brexit brake.

8 hours ago, deryans said:

UK Economy could come to an almost  complete stop and still be 100% faster than South Australia.

The sheer volume and momentum of the UK market is astonishing,  yes Brexit is a shambles but presents amazing opportunity for us, but by and large, its very vibrant here, way more than adelayed or safe-astral-leeya.

you are spot on .

no one talks themselves down and believes all the bullshit they are fed , more than the British public .

roads are extremely busy with haulage , shops , restaurants and pubs are doing good business .

i sincerely worry for the e.u superstate , it is going to fail ....big time .

our only chance of long term survival was to leave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Optimism will only go so far, he said she said is laughable cold hard figures are all that matters, Brexit has so much to answer for.

just like the blues getting relegated ?...you wish away .

I can tell from your posts ,you would love to see the u.k on its arse .

its not going to happen

Brexit had to happen for Britains survival .

have you seen whats going on in Germany ?....

the e.u is quickly destroying europe ....the no border countries, are now putting borders up .

THEY ARE PREVENTING CONFLICT ...THEY ARE CREATING IT ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

you are spot on .

no one talks themselves down and believes all the bullshit they are fed , more than the British public .

roads are extremely busy with haulage , shops , restaurants and pubs are doing good business .

i sincerely worry for the e.u superstate , it is going to fail ....big time .

our only chance of long term survival was to leave

Apparently we are absolutely blitzing North Korea!

1 minute ago, newjez said:

and as I said 3.4.5 yrs ago , if you remember , there will be a short term hit , its inevitable .

if you want to find something to worry about .

worry fir the future of the e.u ...it will fall

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

just like the blues getting relegated ?...you wish away .

I can tell from your posts ,you would love to see the u.k on its arse .

its not going to happen

Brexit had to happen for Britains survival .

have you seen whats going on in Germany ?....

the e.u is quickly destroying europe ....the no border countries, are now putting borders up .

THEY ARE PREVENTING CONFLICT ...THEY ARE CREATING IT ...

Course they are comrade.

• Like 1

Apparently we are absolutely blitzing North Korea!

what economically ???.....there are a handful on here , who are so bloody negative ....get a life , get positive .

the vote is done , we are leaving ...end of ..

move on ...its a new day ..

its history

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

and as I said 3.4.5 yrs ago , if you remember , there will be a short term hit , its inevitable .

Which would be like kicking us in the balls when we are on the floor. Just what you Russians want.

Which would be like kicking us in the balls when we are on the floor. Just what you Russians want.

the e.u has committed suicide , absolutely nothing to do with the Russians

greed , stupidity , arrogance and short term thinking

goodbye

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newjez said:

Sad thing is we would be booming if it wasn't for the brexit brake.

And it continues to take its toll https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-car-sales-drop-brexit-jaguar-land-rover-investment-smmt-a8432276.html

Sorry posted before I saw your post, but the UK is booming apparently!! All because the roads are full of haulage ? and some builder said it is.

Edited by Sandgroper
Same story different paper.

6 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

That's just your opinion which you are entitled to have. My opinion is the decision to leave will go down in history as being one of stupidest things the country's ever done. 

• Like 2