Employer willing to sponsor me - occupation not on list

LondonZ

Hi there,

i am currently in Australia on a working holiday visa and I absolutely love it here. I have had several conversations with my manager who has asked me to find out some information regarding sponsorship as she loves how I work and does not want to see me leave. 

I am trying to find out as much information as possible so that I could indeed stay. 

I am living and working in Byron Bay so I know that I could potentially go on a 187 visa as it is classed as rural. The thing however is the occupation that I could use. I am currently an accounts coordinator which I know is not on the list. 

So my question here is, does anyone have any advice for someone who’s current employer is willing to sponsor them, but their occupation is not on the list? 

Is there a way around this? 

Thanks for any help,

zoe 

Go home and study to be in an occupation which is on the list perhaps. Unfortunately sponsorship is rather more onerous than “we like the way you work” - they’d have to demonstrate that they can’t find an Aussie to do the job even if the occupation was on the list.

It may be worth speaking to a agent. But, if it's not on any of the lists it is unlikely. 

Does your employer understand it is a long and expensive process and that it would need a fair bit of work on their side and there are a number of criteria they would have to pass such as proving they spend a percentage of their turnover on training (Many employers do not qualify to sponsor, let alone employees) 

1 hour ago, LondonZ said:

Yes I may have to do that. My employer has actually sponsored several people so they know the costs and work involved on their side 

Great, but in that case why are they asking you to research sponsorship opportunities (as per your original post) if they are already old hands at doing it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sammy1 said:

Great, but in that case why are they asking you to research sponsorship opportunities (as per your original post) if they are already old hands at doing it?

Good point, they know what's required and whether it's possible. I am not sure exactly what your job entails but I think they would find it very difficult to prove that no one in Australia can do that job. If it's impossible to get someone then I'm sure it would be on the skills list. It's a sad fact that a great many people go there just like you and love it, unfortunately few can stay. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LondonZ said:

Hi there,

i am currently in Australia on a working holiday visa and I absolutely love it here. I have had several conversations with my manager who has asked me to find out some information regarding sponsorship as she loves how I work and does not want to see me leave. 

I am trying to find out as much information as possible so that I could indeed stay. 

I am living and working in Byron Bay so I know that I could potentially go on a 187 visa as it is classed as rural. The thing however is the occupation that I could use. I am currently an accounts coordinator which I know is not on the list. 

So my question here is, does anyone have any advice for someone who’s current employer is willing to sponsor them, but their occupation is not on the list? 

Is there a way around this? 

Thanks for any help,

zoe 

It really depends what you do as an "Accounts Coordinator".

Under the new TSS sponsored visa there is a list specific to Regional Australia. You would need to determine whether the duties of the position are consistent with any occupation on the list.

The other issue would be whether you have the qualifications or employment history to meet the skills requirement.

If the position is not on any of the relevant lists, the only way around it is for the business to negotiate a Labour Agreement with the Government, which is not usually done for one position.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LondonZ said:

Has your manager been involved in sponsoring before, or was it done by a parent company or another department?

I would advise not to get your hopes up.  I've been in companies a few times, where a manager has liked a temp employee and wanted to sponsor them.  The manager knows the company has done it before, so assumes it can be done, and gives encouragement.  The employee gets very excited  and starts making preparations - until the manager goes to the HR department and gets told, flatly, that it's impossible.

Your occupation is not on the list so you can't move permanently to Australia.  There's no way around that.  I know it's harsh, but it's reality - Australia only wants migrants with specific skills and experience, and the majority of people just don't qualify.

As Raul says, your only hope is to look at the list of occupations for a temp visa, which would let you stay on a temp contract for a couple of years.  After that, you'd have to go home.  Personally, I think that would be a bad idea - if you 're here in Australia working, then you're not retraining in a job that could get you a permanent visa, so you're just losing time.