Citizenship application - parents details??

louise7981

27 minutes ago, louise7981 said:

I have just started my citizenship application and wondered why they ask for details of my parents and their passport details? Not a problem to provide them but just curious why they want them?

Make sure they are not any ozzie security lists, stop lists, never been deported from oz etc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, louise7981 said:

Should say passport details - I can provide all other details they are looking for.

Just tell them they are deceased or you simply don't know. For one thing not everyone has a passport so details can't be supplied anyway. Just do the best you can 

Make sure they are not any ozzie security lists, stop lists, never been deported from oz etc

I don’t understand.... If I am already a permanent resident (which one must be to apply for citizenship), can they prevent you becoming a citizen based on something your parents do/have done?

7 hours ago, louise7981 said:

Any ideas what happens if you're unable to provide details on parents - eg I can't provide my mothers details as she is deceased, as is my father in law.

Isn’t it an optional thing to provide? 

Just now, LouDYorkie said:

I thought I’d read you only need to provide it if they have visited Australia.

Can’t recall. Thought it was still optional but I may be remembering it wrong. 

Just answer the best you can. Both my parents are deceased and provided them their names, country of citizenship and some basic information. I think I put Not applicable to some items including passport details.

Thank you all - I am trying to submit it electronically so not sure if if will be difficult to omit these details. I will try again today and may need to give immigration a call if any issues. I will post again later to update. Hopefully we won't have any delays.

11 minutes ago, louise7981 said:

Thank you all - I am trying to submit it electronically so not sure if if will be difficult to omit these details. I will try again today and may need to give immigration a call if any issues. I will post again later to update. Hopefully we won't have any delays.

I don’t recall it being an issue. 

11 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

I don’t understand.... If I am already a permanent resident (which one must be to apply for citizenship), can they prevent you becoming a citizen based on something your parents do/have done?

I doubt it, but they would probably link the files. They also use forms like this to double check stuff - for instance if your parents were to apply later for a parent visa they would check back to see the details matched what you had given in the past. 

It really doesn't matter if you don't have or don't give details though. I didn't know my mum's passport number so left it blank and for my dad I would've just put deceased. As I said earlie,not everyone has a passport anyway!

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 07/05/2018 at 00:17, Nemesis said:

Just tell them they are deceased or you simply don't know. For one thing not everyone has a passport so details can't be supplied anyway. Just do the best you can 

Hi,

I am filling out my application and got stuck while entering parents details. My parents are deceased, so where should i enter that details. there are options only to enter the date of birth and their citizenship status. Please help me to clear this out

Hi guys,

I am reading about the documents required for citizenship application and found this thread:. Please let me know:

1. What type of details are required for the parents details sections ? 

2. Do we need the details of in-laws also ? !  If so, what details are required and what to do if one does not know any of the details ? 

3. Do you need details of the spouse also ? What are details required ? 

Thank you

• 9 months later...

Hi, 

I've lodged the application for citizenship recently, at parents details section, I've given my mother's name as in her Indian Identity document rather than as in my passport. The last name in the passport is like "Abcdef" while in the identity document it is "Abcdefghijkl". In the lodged application, I've mentioned it as "Abcdefghijkl".

Could this name discrepancy in my passport and the lodged application cause any issues while assessing the application?

• 2 years later...
On 18/05/2019 at 10:13, rammygirl said:

I just put the date of the ending of their citizenship as the date of their death and in the reason put deceased. It wasn’t obvious where to put details of deceased relatives. It was OK I now have a passport. 

hi could you check out my profile and read my post i could really use your help thanks.