Gas engineer 189 visa

Brianm93

Hi, Im looking for some help regarding moving to Australia. 

I’m a gas engineer, qualified to SVQ level 3 in domestic natural gas installation and maintenance. I completed my apprenticeship through a company doing both on site and college work. I’ve never done any plumbing at all, so don’t have any plumbing qualifications etc... this worries me as I’ve seen gas engineers saying they’ve opted to go down the plumbers route for applying as it’s easier? 

i’ve been reading a lot of other people’s posts about the difficulties of applying and the steps which you need to go through to finally land in Oz successfully.

I want to move over in the next 3 years with my partner and young son, somewhere in NSW. 

I’m aware of the points system, that there is tests to be taken, evidence of work to be given. I just don’t know where to start, any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Brian

Hi Brian, I worked for British Gas for 12 years as a service and repair engineer on appliances, applied for a skilled 190 visa under the code for gas fitter. We are in Sydney in NSW, however there is only seasonal work (3-4 months) with gas fires, duct heaters etc. Hardly anyone has central heating as it's too hot....I've managed to get a job with a local plumbing and heating firm, but your correct I'll mainly be doing plumbing with I've not much experience in (bathrooms etc).....being honest I don't know what everyone is having problems. We applied for EOI I'm February 2017, sent off evidence got TRA (work evidence-qualifications etc) in March, had invite for visa in may and filled and sent everything over and it was granted on August 11st. We've been here since 5th November and would deffo recommend it...

There is no test to take If u can gain over 60 points. I was lucky as had over 10 years experience and under 33 years old...u may have to sit an English test (ielts) if u require the extra points...evidence u need is basically pay slips, contracts, references from managers etc

3 minutes ago, reevo39 said:

There is no test to take If u can gain over 60 points. I was lucky as had over 10 years experience and under 33 years old...u may have to sit an English test (ielts) if u require the extra points...evidence u need is basically pay slips, contracts, references from managers etc

Thanks for reply,  it does sound easy and straight forward the way you’ve put it, I hope It goes as smoothly for me... so if you get 60 points you don’t have to take a theory or practical test on your skills? 

The points is only for the visa to be granted mate. Once u get here, u can apply for something called RPL recognised prior learning(basically our qualifications are recognised visa wise but not for work). You can apply before you get out here, I've been advised to start working for a company under their licence as a gas fitter and plumber and then apply while I'm working gaining experience....you have to then go to TAFE (college) and do gap training and maybe an exam to get your own licence so u can work for yourself.

8 minutes ago, reevo39 said:

The points is only for the visa to be granted mate. Once u get here, u can apply for something called RPL recognised prior learning(basically our qualifications are recognised visa wise but not for work). You can apply before you get out here, I've been advised to start working for a company under their licence as a gas fitter and plumber and then apply while I'm working gaining experience....you have to then go to TAFE (college) and do gap training and maybe an exam to get your own licence so u can work for yourself.

Ah ok that makes sense. I’ve just seen a lot of conflicting comments on other websites about it. Saying that a practical and theory exam on my skills must be done before I can enter Oz. 

Edited by Brianm93

19 minutes ago, reevo39 said:

I’ve just realised after doing a bit of reading that the 189 visa does require a skills test to be carried out, but the 190 visa doesn’t require it. I might try and go for the 190 visa, It means first 2 years you need to live and work in NSW but I want to live and work in Sydney anyway. 

53 minutes ago, Brianm93 said:

I’ve just realised after doing a bit of reading that the 189 visa does require a skills test to be carried out, but the 190 visa doesn’t require it. I might try and go for the 190 visa, It means first 2 years you need to live and work in NSW but I want to live and work in Sydney anyway. 

Have you read the requirements for the 190?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/190-

You must:

have a relevant occupation
have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
meet the points test pass mark of 60 points
be nominated by a state or territory government agency
be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
have Competent English
be invited by us to apply.

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Have you read the requirements for the 190?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/190-

You must:

have a relevant occupation
have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
meet the points test pass mark of 60 points
be nominated by a state or territory government agency
be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
have Competent English
be invited by us to apply.

I had read over it a few times, sometimes looking over things for hours can fry your mind, thanks for pointing that out for me. 

I think I’ll stick with the 189 application 

13 hours ago, Brianm93 said:

I had read over it a few times, sometimes looking over things for hours can fry your mind, thanks for pointing that out for me. 

I think I’ll stick with the 189 application 

I know what you mean, you look at someting for hours but sometimes youonly see what your mind wants you to see!

If you qualify for a 189 that is definietly the better one as you have no obligaion to any state and don't need to worry about any requireents that state puts on applicants.

Hi Brian. You need to pass a skills assessment . I’m a plumber and I’m half way through mine. Waiting for my practical in Blackburn in feb. You go through a company called vetassess. I used a company called the down under center.. they have helped me with all of my paperwork and send everything off to vetassess. They do all the hard work you just give them what they need. Makes life a lot easier.

9 hours ago, reevo39 said:
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 07:23, VERYSTORMY said:
You still must have a passed skills assessment. 

In ordered to get the visa granted you do not need to pass a skills assessment. Only have it verified eg with supporting evidence, such as payslips qualifiactions etc by a governing body (TRA) etc

That is a skills assessment https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/190-#tab-content-1

Hi Brian. You need to pass a skills assessment . I’m a plumber and I’m half way through mine. Waiting for my practical in Blackburn in feb. You go through a company called vetassess. I used a company called the down under center.. they have helped me with all of my paperwork and send everything off to vetassess. They do all the hard work you just give them what they need. Makes life a lot easier.
All the hard work? In relation to what? Sending your qualifications and evidence of payslips to Australia to get checked off etc? Do u get an Australian certificate of competency with the outcome?

14 minutes ago, reevo39 said:
19 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes but u don't need to do a practical or written exam to get visa. I didn't

Is it the same for the 189 visa? I would prefer it if I only had to send away payslips and evidence of employment etc rather than sit a practical exam... I can’t do the 190 visa because I don’t have anybody to sponsor me

Edited by Brianm93

Is it the same for the 189 visa? I would prefer it if I only had to send away payslips and evidence of employment etc rather than sit a practical exam... I can’t do the 190 visa because I don’t have anybody to sponsor me

Your still going to need to do the skills assessment I believe. To reach enough points. There’s 2 stages too the assessment first stage is work evidence and then the practical. Your best off speaking to a immigration agent to run through your options

9 minutes ago, Josh bodz said:

Your still going to need to do the skills assessment I believe. To reach enough points. There’s 2 stages too the assessment first stage is work evidence and then the practical. Your best off speaking to a immigration agent to run through your options

I reach 60+ points easily. Does that make a difference 

2 hours ago, reevo39 said:
2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes but u don't need to do a practical or written exam to get visa. I didn't

Not all skills assessments require this.

Brianm93 needs to look at the specific skills assessment for whatever trade he is applying under and see what the requirements are for that particular trade. 

Without a skills assessment you cannot lodge an EOI for a 189 or a 190.

You do need to do a skills assessment which is a practical and written exam. This assessment is also very expensive (from memory without looking at paperwork it’s around the £1,300 mark or just shy of that). Google. There’s plenty of information about it all. Have you done a points assessment test, which tells you exactly how many points you currently sit at?