Do I have to work in my skilled profession after I get granted the 189 visa?

Eloise

Hi there!

I was wondering if after being assessed and granted a 189 visa would I have to work in my skilled profession? My skilled profession being occupational therapy. Or can I work in whatever I like after being granted the visa and that wouldn't affect me down the line?

Many thanks,

Eloise

This sounds too good, what's the catch?!

I'm currently on an occupational therapy course now, but I'm unsure If it's what I want to do as a job, but would love to live in Australia. Trying to decide on whether I want to keep going with it, to hopefully end up with an Australian permanent resident visa. I still have a year and a half left of the course (which I'm not enjoying) and then the visa process which includes being supervised as an occupational therapist. And I would work as an occupational therapist on graduating for experience, so I would of thought I have at least 2 years left of doing occupational therapy to get the visa. That's if the process runs smoothly...

There is no catch once you have a visa. But you need to complete what ever training is required and post qualification experience is required to pass the skills assessment and note that there is far from any certainty that the occupation will still be available by the time you are ready to lodge. Occupations are removed all the time - the next update is next week and last year over 200 were removed. Hence I always tell people studying to do something they enjoy regardless of it it will lead to a visa. 

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

There is no catch once you have a visa. But you need to complete what ever training is required and post qualification experience is required to pass the skills assessment and note that there is far from any certainty that the occupation will still be available by the time you are ready to lodge. Occupations are removed all the time - the next update is next week and last year over 200 were removed. Hence I always tell people studying to do something they enjoy regardless of it it will lead to a visa. 

Hi Verystormy,

Do you mean 200 occupations were removed last year?

I am very nervous about next week..I am an accountant and I heard that for a few years now this is an occupation that has been considered for removal...

4 hours ago, Eloise said:

This sounds too good, what's the catch?!

I'm currently on an occupational therapy course now, but I'm unsure If it's what I want to do as a job, but would love to live in Australia. Trying to decide on whether I want to keep going with it, to hopefully end up with an Australian permanent resident visa. I still have a year and a half left of the course (which I'm not enjoying) and then the visa process which includes being supervised as an occupational therapist. And I would work as an occupational therapist on graduating for experience, so I would of thought I have at least 2 years left of doing occupational therapy to get the visa. That's if the process runs smoothly...

The catch is getting the Visa in the first place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JH_2017 said:

Hi Verystormy,

Do you mean 200 occupations were removed last year?

I am very nervous about next week..I am an accountant and I heard that for a few years now this is an occupation that has been considered for removal...

Yes, over 200 occupations removed last year. 

Yes, accountant has been flagged for removal for years, but I would be surprised if it were removed next week. But, you never know and hence we always tell people to apply when they can. 

Wow - I didn’t realise the jobs list was being updated next week. I’ve currently got an invite for 190 visa that I need to lodge by mid-February. We just got our newborn sons passport delivered, so could lodge now, but I was hoping to organise medicals next week to front load these. But perhaps it’d be better to get the visa application in now in case my profession is removed next week? I’m a construction project manager. What do you think very stormy?

Just do it. As they say. Front loading medical isn’t really necessary.

I would wait until asked for police checks and medical, both have a shelf life of a year.  When your visa is granted you have a must enter by date, this is usually one year from either meds or police cheCos (whichever is the first).  This could mean an expensive validation trip unless you are ready to move.

12 hours ago, justme said:

Wow - I didn’t realise the jobs list was being updated next week. I’ve currently got an invite for 190 visa that I need to lodge by mid-February. We just got our newborn sons passport delivered, so could lodge now, but I was hoping to organise medicals next week to front load these. But perhaps it’d be better to get the visa application in now in case my profession is removed next week? I’m a construction project manager. What do you think very stormy?

Is it worth the risk. I’d say it wasn’t. Just wait until Medicals are asked by CO. Gives you more time to arrive too 

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:10, digitalis said:

The catch is getting the Visa in the first place.

Ha!    Absolutely!

Once you've got it then you can go and do what you like. As a qualified Occupational Therapist, if you'd rather drive taxis or sell ice creams on the beach then you can, but you'll probably make more money doing what you've been trained to do!

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 06:13, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes, over 200 occupations removed last year. 

Yes, accountant has been flagged for removal for years, but I would be surprised if it were removed next week. But, you never know and hence we always tell people to apply when they can. 

Hi, how can you find out what occupations might be coming off the list?