Starting school

sunshinedawn

Reception class? (Or kindy in some places I think).

Tbh nothing else is needed. School fees cover books, pencils etc. I’d just send him along with a backpack (we use non school ones as don’t lime school ones) and just put his drinks bottle, lunch box (if needed from day 1) and sun hat in.

If it’s half days they often don’t have lunch at school. Once he is doing all day they usually ask for fruit and recess snack to be sent in also. 

Reception class? (Or kindy in some places I think).
Tbh nothing else is needed. School fees cover books, pencils etc. I’d just send him along with a backpack (we use non school ones as don’t lime school ones) and just put his drinks bottle, lunch box (if needed from day 1) and sun hat in.
If it’s half days they often don’t have lunch at school. Once he is doing all day they usually ask for fruit and recess snack to be sent in also. 
Hi snifter

No he's not in Kindy starting in grade 4. So do I just send him in with what you suggested then.

I would. I’ve not bought my son anything school wise since we arrived until the teacher has asked. It’s usually things like a writing pen when they get their pen licence  .Or a yellow highlighter.

Each year we get given a short list in the first week. Gets sent home with child. We usually end up buying a pencil case (large as the small ones don’t cut it), a few A4 sleeves for workbooks and a highlighter and the pen. Oh a stapler and staples but we have been using the same one for 4 years now. Everything else is provided. Ruler, pencils, books. All given at school.

I’d not stress and wait and see what comes home or what he is asked to provide. If you want to send him with a pencil and pen to start chuck one in.  

Eta - I’ve written this going out from it’s a state school.

I would. I’ve not bought my son anything school wise since we arrived until the teacher has asked. It’s usually things like a writing pen when they get their pen licence  .Or a yellow highlighter.
Each year we get given a short list in the first week. Gets sent home with child. We usually end up buying a pencil case (large as the small ones don’t cut it), a few A4 sleeves for workbooks and a highlighter and the pen. Oh a stapler and staples but we have been using the same one for 4 years now. Everything else is provided. Ruler, pencils, books. All given at school.
I’d not stress and wait and see what comes home or what he is asked to provide. If you want to send him with a pencil and pen to start chuck one in.  
Eta - I’ve written this going out from it’s a state school.
Thanks for this I will wait and see what the list is

At most schools the office will open after holidays either this week or next - I'd give them a call and ask as they will know if you pay a supplies fee to them and they source everything or if you have to buy things from a booklist yourself and your son takes them with him.  If the office is still closed, they should have an answering machine that will tell you when they reopen.  (source: mum of two and married to a teacher)

The school website might have a list of requirements. There are usually pages for parents and students giving them information so you can buy ahead. Some schools sell book packs, others expect you to source them from Coles or Woolies. For example, this is the yr4 list for my granddaughter’s school Supplies list

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

The school website might have a list of requirements. There are usually pages for parents and students giving them information so you can buy ahead. Some schools sell book packs, others expect you to source them from Coles or Woolies. 

Not any schools where we are. Not at primary level. School fees cover the costs of books, paper, pencils (inc coloured ones), ruler, scissors, diary and more. Covers printing, library, iPads and other things also. 

At high school level there are more things to buy but not at primary. 

I guess it will vary from state to state. Our school sends home a letter in the first week with a shopping list if there is anything we need to provide. Its always been a very short list and usually things not standard in the classroom. And most of the things we've been able to reuse for a few years now. 

7 minutes ago, snifter said:

Not any schools where we are. Not at primary level. School fees cover the costs of books, paper, pencils (inc coloured ones), ruler, scissors, diary and more. Covers printing, library, iPads and other things also. 

I guess it will vary from state to state. Our school sends home a letter in the first week with a shopping list if there is anything we need to provide. Its always been a very short list and usually things not standard in the classroom. And most of the things we've been able to reuse for a few years now. 

As I said the school website may have what you require - a random one from Vic for example. School autonomy has been a thing for years now, no one size fits all. 

http://www.altonanorthps.vic.edu.au/ . Doesn’t hurt to check the website - some of which are more useful than others of course 

• Like 1

It really depends on the school and whether it is public or private. School fees for a private school might well cover lots of items, however, in state (WA) schools they do not.
For example, all state schools in WA have their own custom book-list. This covers needed items such as pens, pencils, rulers, glue sticks art smocks, portfolios, exercise books etc etc. It is really important that the items are brought into the school at the beginning of term so that the classroom teacher is not having to use his or her own money to provide necessary items to the students.

Normally, schools send out a book-list and most will also have these on their website, different items are needed for different year levels.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

I know this is a stupid question.... but..... how much roughly are school fees??? We are hoping to have a visa accepted to victoria and are looking near Geelong. I have one son that is probably going to be college age when we get over, one in high school and one in primary. Thanks x

Public or private? It’s one of those piece of string type questions http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/parents/financial/Pages/parentpaymentfaqs.aspx

• Like 1

We always had to supply pens, rulers and other bits like that, plus things like tissues, hand soap, kitchen towel, glue sticks, whiteboard markers etc.  Every so often one of the kids would come home and say the classroom was getting a bit short of something and ask if they could take it in.  We also had to provide things like exercise books and had to purchase a book pack through school.  The school used to publish the lists of requirements for each year level in the last newsletter of the year, so that parents could be ready for the new year, so you could check there if you can't find a list on the school website.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Thank you! I was also wondering if extra fees, stationary and books aside, were required to go to school?? X

We made a few payments at the beginning of the year.  From memory, there were things like band fees (both my kids were in the school band), there was also a 'voluntary' contribution to the school building fund, which wasn't really voluntary.  Also, payments for larger excursions/camps etc.  I didn't mind paying those things though, as they went to an absolutely outstanding state primary.  This is in NSW, by the way.  I'm guessing there are differences state to state, but also school to school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Thank you! I was also wondering if extra fees, stationary and books aside, were required to go to school?? X

Aside from the voluntary contributions (here in WA), there was also fees to pay for certain options/courses as the children got into upper school.  Children leave school here at 17/18 at the end of year 12, Last year for year 12 for my son with the courses he's chosen my school fees were over $1,000 (public school).

19 hours ago, snifter said:

Have to agree with this.  Here in SA the state primary school our kids went to had fees and then nothing else to buy.  Some teachers did ask for things like tissues or soap for the class room but all the books were provided.  State high school is different and we have to provide stationary.  The school sends out a list, which is also published on the website, that has what items are required for each subject. 

Oh, and our state school fees in SA are 'legally recoverable' so nothing voluntary about them.  I suspect this is the same for all state schools in SA.

• Like 1

Have to agree with this.  Here in SA the state primary school our kids went to had fees and then nothing else to buy.  Some teachers did ask for things like tissues or soap for the class room but all the books were provided.  State high school is different and we have to provide stationary.  The school sends out a list, which is also published on the website, that has what items are required for each subject. 
Oh, and our state school fees in SA are 'legally recoverable' so nothing voluntary about them.  I suspect this is the same for all state schools in SA.
Ahhh right! Thanks for this [emoji4] do you mind if i ask how much the fees were for the primary school?? X

57 minutes ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Ahhh right! Thanks for this emoji4.png do you mind if i ask how much the fees were for the primary school?? X

It will vary from school to school in the state.

Primary can be from about $280 (our first primary here was about that and pretty basic) or so upwards. We pay about $400 per year at current school. I don’t think it goes up much more than this, perhaps some of the schools in the more expensive areas or zoned and in demand may ask a bit more if in those pricier areas. Ours is considered pretty high as I understand it. We do have very good facilities and equipment etc though so no complaints from me on them. 

If we attend the local state high school after this fees will be about $1200 or so iirc.

Forgot, we do get asked for every kid to bring in a box of tissues at the start of the year too. 

11 hours ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Ahhh right! Thanks for this emoji4.png do you mind if i ask how much the fees were for the primary school?? X

Our primary school fees were about $400 a year as well.  High school fees this year are $805 but then there are extra costs for some subjects and school sports clubs and the kids need their own laptops (these can be borrowed from school for a fee).

• Like 1

If your child is attending a state school (in Victoria, at least) pay for the 'book list'. Any other charges/fees are VOLUNTARY but you will never be told this (exempting camps, excursions, cooking etc.). State education is provided 'free of charge'. If the government are not funding state schools properly, then they should raise taxes....or only fund state schools.

Private and catholic schools are a different debate altogether.

Edited by alscotoz
  • Like 1