Trying to sell house still

Beckfield

On 12/11/2017 at 08:30, bristolman said:

No worries at all. We obviously worried that the kids wouldn't take to it but we needn't have worried at all. You are bound to feel anxious but look at the whole thing as a huge adventure. Don't put time limits or constraints on it, when the house sells it sells then the adventure starts. 

Sorry Bristolman but I have to ask.  What is the little animal in your picture?  It looks like a little possum.  ???  

28 minutes ago, Beckfield said:

Have you returned to UK Sandgroper, or are you still in Oz?  Sounds as if you've experienced returning home in the winter. ??

I did return from OZ but not during winter having been brought up in the UK I know the UK weather well enough, however I quickly realised we had made a mistake and moved back out to Oz and have never been happier.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

I did return from OZ but not during winter having been brought up in the UK I know the UK weather well enough, however I quickly realised we had made a mistake and moved back out to Oz and have never been happier.

Oh!  can I ask what it was that made you realise you'd made a mistake?  (if not too personal..).  

Beckfield, I second what someone else said about leaving the house on the market and just go.  Personally I think you'd be bonkers to try buying a house in England on a flying visit.  You'll be too rushed, you'll be at the mercy of what's on the market at the time, you'll be jet lagged and you'll make bad decisions.   Far better to plan to rent for six months while you suss out the areas and find your perfect forever home.  And if you're going to rent, then there's no need to have sold before you leave Oz.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Beckfield, I second what someone else said about leaving the house on the market and just go.  Personally I think you'd be bonkers to try buying a house in England on a flying visit.  You'll be too rushed, you'll be at the mercy of what's on the market at the time, you'll be jet lagged and you'll make bad decisions.   Far better to plan to rent for six months while you suss out the areas and find your perfect forever home.  And if you're going to rent, then there's no need to have sold before you leave Oz.

Thanks Marisawright.  I have rethought the flying visit bit.  My brother is already in England and as soon as mine is sold he will look for something for us, and put a deposit on it.  He knows the Must Have's and the Can't Stands, so it should be ok.   We're bringing two pets as well.  Yikes!!!   Still waiting for the house to sell......  By the time it sells I may well be too old and/or senile to go.  Lol!  

1 hour ago, Beckfield said:

Oh!  can I ask what it was that made you realise you'd made a mistake?  (if not too personal..).  

Oh lots of reasons really, whatever I put on here a couple of the usual posters will come along and try and counter it so I won't go into to much detail, all I will say is I feel the UK is on a downward spiral and it's gone past the point of no return, it's not somewhere I wanted to bring up my children. Plenty of others do though. I also felt a level of claustrophobia after spending sometime in Canada and Australia.

Good luck with your move.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Oh lots of reasons really, whatever I put on here a couple of the usual posters will come along and try and counter it so I won't go into to much detail, all I will say is I feel the UK is on a downward spiral and it's gone past the point of no return, it's not somewhere I wanted to bring up my children. Plenty of others do though. I also felt a level of claustrophobia after spending sometime in Canada and Australia.

Good luck with your move.

Understandable.....  thanks for your input. I wish you all the best too.  x

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 01:20, Beckfield said:

I don't know if anyone has been in this position...  would welcome others' thoughts and experiences.  We're desperately trying to sell house to return home.  It's been nearly 6 months and nothing promising on the horizon so far.  Am wondering if it will ever sell, and also wondering whether it was just a silly dream thinking I could go home after so many decades of living in this country which has never been home for any of us.  Should have done it earlier but elderly parents, kids' education, lack of funds...  etc etc always something prevented us taking the step.  I am also a bit nervous that when I get there I will be considered a foreigner.  Am rather ashamed that I don't know much British history, never having learnt it here.  Not sure whether I'm being a total idiot in doing this, but somehow I just have to go home.  I don't want to die here.  I don't belong here.  Can anyone else relate or am I an absolute alien??

@Beckfield, again just saw your post. Selling a house is rarely simple, our Brisbane house sold the day we put it on the market but my brothers house took years. Price it competitively and it will sell but you need patience. 

No it is most certainly not a silly dream, I lived in Australia 30 years and I now finally feel as though I am home. No you are not being an idiot at all, the UK is a beautiful place with a huge future ahead of it, dont be too concerned about rumours of its demise lol. 99% of the horror stories regarding Brexit have failed to materialise, the country is still powering onwards and upwards. You are no an alien, i think you would be surprised just how many make the move home. You won't be treated like a foreigner, dont worry. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Basically, you can leave the house to sell after you have moved back if you can afford to. We moved back prior to selling ours and just left the keys with the agent. Then, when it sold we were able to do the paperwork by email. 
We love being back. It is funny now that our time in Australia almost doesn't feel real. A bit like it was a dream. I think the only thing we miss is the beach, not for swimming or anything, just being close to water as we are more inland here. Though that is mainly my wife - I like being countryside based. 
This will be our second Christmas home and it just feels wonderful. I love having been real winter. Life just feels better, even though we hadn't actually planned to move back - I was out of work and got offered a job back in the UK and we decided to just go for it. Accepted the job on the Tuesday and flew the Saturday. 

What is it about Oz that feels like a dream/extended holiday?
Or
Felt like you didn't belong?
I'm eek 44 and could very well embark on a move to Oz this year..... But my 189 5yr expires shortly and of I haven't made the jump already then perhaps my heart/gut/head/something is saying Nah why bother. J

4 minutes ago, Jay2016 said:

Or
I'm eek 44 and could very well embark on a move to Oz this year..... But my 189 5yr expires shortly and of I haven't made the jump already then perhaps my heart/gut/head/something is saying Nah why bother. J

Actually yes that's a good point, if you haven't done it yet then something is telling you that it's not the best thing for you. 

• Like 1

Cheers chaps. Alas I do like making a rod for my own back and have applied for an RRV. When I told my bosses I'm staying they were Releaved!! But almost straight away after making the decision (such was unbelievably stressful) I immediately felt it was the wrong decision. Anyway long story.i think I'd be quite, no, Very isolated in Oz because I don't have kids (seems to be how people meet) and being 44 in not the usual singleton going out to bars. But if I have the chance to go and no ties to UK (100% true) why wouldn't I go??? And think of it as a Dream so if I don't fit in then just come back (yes to maybe a worse job and who knows what post brexit) but that's the price for Living the Dream.... Or stay in Oz forever if I like it . sorry guys there's alot in my head. The RRV idea is to get a 12mth travel extension then go to Oz for a month to see what I'm missing and to make another decision on it [emoji849] thank you J

10 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

, Very isolated in Oz because I don't have kids (seems to be how people meet) and being 44 in not the usual singleton going out to bars. 

A bit of false logic there, IMHO.  It's true that if you have kids you meet others through their activities.  But not having them gives you much more time and freedom to do your own thing and not be restricted by their needs.  And bars are the worst places for meeting like minded people...that's a pure lottery.  Think about what you are really interested in then seek out clubs, organisations, activities which centre on your interests.  That's your best chance of finding like minded people.  Not to say it won't feel a little scary if you're not a very extrovert, risk taking sort of personality, though.

10 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

Cheers chaps. Alas I do like making a rod for my own back and have applied for an RRV. When I told my bosses I'm staying they were Releaved!! But almost straight away after making the decision (such was unbelievably stressful) I immediately felt it was the wrong decision. Anyway long story.i think I'd be quite, no, Very isolated in Oz because I don't have kids (seems to be how people meet) and being 44 in not the usual singleton going out to bars. But if I have the chance to go and no ties to UK (100% true) why wouldn't I go??? And think of it as a Dream so if I don't fit in then just come back (yes to maybe a worse job and who knows what post brexit) but that's the price for Living the Dream.... Or stay in Oz forever if I like it . sorry guys there's alot in my head. The RRV idea is to get a 12mth travel extension then go to Oz for a month to see what I'm missing and to make another decision on it emoji849.png thank you J

Hello Jay2016, you sound as though you're going through that hellish indecision thing that is so awful.  However, you are in a wonderful position  You're free, you're young, you can go wherever you like with no restrictions, and if you don't like it you can leave and go back.  We only get one life.  Enjoy it and do what you want, forgetting the negative "what if's".  All the very best.  

• Like 1

A bit of false logic there, IMHO.  It's true that if you have kids you meet others through their activities.  But not having them gives you much more time and freedom to do your own thing and not be restricted by their needs.  And bars are the worst places for meeting like minded people...that's a pure lottery.  Think about what you are really interested in then seek out clubs, organisations, activities which centre on your interests.  That's your best chance of finding like minded people.  Not to say it won't feel a little scary if you're not a very extrovert, risk taking sort of personality, though.

Hi Skani thanks for your reply, I very much enjoy Kitesurfing which I tried last year (apparently Essex where I live is the best place for beginners in Europe! Who'd have thought that lol) plus I'm a Padi scuba diver when on holiday only (don't do cold!) Plus thinking of more airborne activities so unlike there UK there could be 52 weeks of the year to do all that in Oz lol..... Or if it's too hot stay in for movie [emoji327] night which I also like. Plus think I'd be looking for temporary work only so could meet people that way too and more of them! Plus I'm there funniest person in there office generally so that might help (but usually not very politically correct haha) Then again I do like my own company too, so looked you said find those clubs! Or get a cat
  • Like 1

Hello Jay2016, you sound as though you're going through that hellish indecision thing that is so awful.  However, you are in a wonderful position  You're free, you're young, you can go wherever you like with no restrictions, and if you don't like it you can leave and go back.  We only get one life.  Enjoy it and do what you want, forgetting the negative "what if's".  All the very best.  

Thanks Beckfield YES. It was tearing me apart in December as it was decision time. I'm really hoping to get the RRV and after work calms down May/Jun waste some money on a month away on Oz (not a holiday) but a fact finding mission. Check out the jobs, agents, commute, areas to live, rent, cost of living and heat! Maybe a little RnR. [emoji12] then in theory come back have in my notice and just pull my finger out! Or play safe and stay UK. Aside:a friend of mine who's retired lives in Chiang Mai where you can rent a 4bed bungalow with small pool for less than 300£/mth!!! Maybe that's the way to go!! Thanks for all your replies j
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jay2016 said:

Thanks Beckfield YES. It was tearing me apart in December as it was decision time. I'm really hoping to get the RRV and after work calms down May/Jun waste some money on a month away on Oz (not a holiday) but a fact finding mission. Check out the jobs, agents, commute, areas to live, rent, cost of living and heat! Maybe a little RnR. emoji12.png then in theory come back have in my notice and just pull my finger out! Or play safe and stay UK. Aside:a friend of mine who's retired lives in Chiang Mai where you can rent a 4bed bungalow with small pool for less than 300£/mth!!! Maybe that's the way to go!! Thanks for all your replies j

That sounds like a very good plan!  :)

3 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

I very much enjoy Kitesurfing which I tried last year ...... plus I'm a Padi scuba diver when on holiday only (don't do cold!) Plus thinking of more airborne activities ...... Or get a cat

I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding clubs/organisations for those kind of outdoor activities in most of Australia.  Don't get a cat for a while though....they cramp your style if you want to go away exploring the country.  (I know....I have several.  :cute:)

20 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

Or

Reading your other posts, I think you'd be mad NOT to move to Australia.  Forget the fact-finding mission, just do it!   We see so many potential migrants here, where I fear coming to Australia is the wrong thing for them to do - but they've got fearsome expenses.  Wife and kids in tow, a house full of furniture and toys and stuff to sell and replace, schools to worry about, etc etc.   

You've just got yourself, so it's going to cost you far less. Just buy the darn air fare, book yourself into an Air BnB or a hostel for a month, and then find somewhere to rent.  Maybe look for a flat share so you'll have company.  

What's the worst that can happen? The air fare will cost you the same as if you went on holiday (less, if you don't come back!).  The month's accommodation will cost you the same as if you went on holiday.  So you've given up a good job - you can get another one. I've known so many people who gave up a good job, thought they'd never find another, and ended up with something even better.  It's really not that big a deal.

You say you like kite surfing and scuba diving - if you're a beach person then you're all set. And you will meet people and make friends doing those activities in Australia.    Stop dithering and just do it!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

Or

It is hard to describe, it just seem like we actually lived there. More like we dreamt it. I wouldn't say it had any feeling about not belonging. For most of our time we were fairly happy, though we struggled to make friends as we don't have children. 

When we returned it quickly felt like we had just had an eight year dream. 

We were a bit different to most as we never had any big dream of moving to Oz, in fact it wasn't even on the list of places I was interested in visiting, then a job offer came up and we thought why not. Then, 8 years later I was struggling to find work in Oz and a job offer came up in the uk and we decided to take it. We didn't move to Oz because we really wanted to move to Oz and didn't move back because we particularly disliked it. Personally I don't understand people who have either view. To me it is just another first world country. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

Cheers chaps. Alas I do like making a rod for my own back and have applied for an RRV. . The RRV idea is to get a 12mth travel extension then go to Oz for a month to see what I'm missing and to make another decision on it emoji849.png thank you J

If you've never lived in Australia, then how on earth are you expecting to qualify for a RRV?

Thanks very stormy (apologies for spelling in advance as in swiping on my phone rather than on laptop) i was wondering if you were going to answer my question! [emoji23] Glad you did. I'm similar regarding my view of Oz but how I've ended up with a visa is entirely different! WHAT IS YOU'RE OCCUPATION? I'm curious what can entice you and an employer. In now an accountant and though it's on the skilled occupation list I think they're ten-a-penny and I'm not being made redundant anytime [emoji776] and earn well (sorry to go on about ME ME ME) But it can be stressful Andy I don't spend the money I earn (In fact a huge portion gets put into my pension as I don't need it) I like you have zero kids (that I'm aware of lol ) and which means I don't need much to live on SO if you have the opportunity to try Oz with no ties why wouldn't you try it??? Even if it fails you only have one life. I live in a Rut but I kinda like what I've got (I'm on my own therefore not a risk taker by nature)
Hence the huge fight I have in my head on a daily basis. Thanks for your reply

Reading your other posts, I think you'd be mad NOT to move to Australia.  Forget the fact-finding mission, just do it!   We see so many potential migrants here, where I fear coming to Australia is the wrong thing for them to do - but they've got fearsome.... 

Marisa thank you so so much for your reply (you've given me some dutch courage) without the Dutch. What do you do for a living???

When you say "we see so many potential migrants here" are you a migration agent?