Trying to sell house still

Beckfield

I don't know if anyone has been in this position...  would welcome others' thoughts and experiences.  We're desperately trying to sell house to return home.  It's been nearly 6 months and nothing promising on the horizon so far.  Am wondering if it will ever sell, and also wondering whether it was just a silly dream thinking I could go home after so many decades of living in this country which has never been home for any of us.  Should have done it earlier but elderly parents, kids' education, lack of funds...  etc etc always something prevented us taking the step.  I am also a bit nervous that when I get there I will be considered a foreigner.  Am rather ashamed that I don't know much British history, never having learnt it here.  Not sure whether I'm being a total idiot in doing this, but somehow I just have to go home.  I don't want to die here.  I don't belong here.  Can anyone else relate or am I an absolute alien??

43 minutes ago, Beckfield said:

I don't know if anyone has been in this position...  would welcome others' thoughts and experiences.  We're desperately trying to sell house to return home.  It's been nearly 6 months and nothing promising on the horizon so far.  Am wondering if it will ever sell, and also wondering whether it was just a silly dream thinking I could go home after so many decades of living in this country which has never been home for any of us.  Should have done it earlier but elderly parents, kids' education, lack of funds...  etc etc always something prevented us taking the step.  I am also a bit nervous that when I get there I will be considered a foreigner.  Am rather ashamed that I don't know much British history, never having learnt it here.  Not sure whether I'm being a total idiot in doing this, but somehow I just have to go home.  I don't want to die here.  I don't belong here.  Can anyone else relate or am I an absolute alien??

You won't be considered a foreigner.  I'm sure another member who has left Australia to return to the UK after living here for years will answer any of your queries.

Good luck!

We were only in Oz 8 years, so nothing like you, but from my experience of others, you may be considered a "foreigner" but in a nice way. Australians are generally very welcomed and people are most likely to just ask you questions about Oz then anything else. I wouldn't worry about not knowing history. In fact that will make things more fun when visiting places. 

Pas for the house, if you don't need the proceeds for the move, you can complete from the uk which is what we did. It just means a trip to London when completing to get the documents stamped by Australia House. 

24 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

We were only in Oz 8 years, so nothing like you, but from my experience of others, you may be considered a "foreigner" but in a nice way. Australians are generally very welcomed and people are most likely to just ask you questions about Oz then anything else. I wouldn't worry about not knowing history. In fact that will make things more fun when visiting places. 

Pas for the house, if you don't need the proceeds for the move, you can complete from the uk which is what we did. It just means a trip to London when completing to get the documents stamped by Australia House. 

Thanks for your comments Verystormy.  Can you please explain a little further what you mean about completing it from the UK?  I don't quite understand what that's about.  I was going to take a trip, a flying visit,  to UK when we have a contract on our house, and find one to buy.  How did you find it when you got home?  Are you happy to be back?  

I came to Australia in 1985 because I’d met an Australian. After two daughters, born here, 5 years in Belgium and back in UK, then back to Melbourne mid-1990s, divorce and life in general, I am finally going home to England at last. I’ve just sold my house and booked my flight for 1 March. Pretty scared but in my heart I know it’s the right thing to do. I’ve never really belonged in Australia and am so excited that I’m finally able to do this. It’s not easy at all but you know in your heart what’s right. Don’t worry about what anyone thinks, it’s only how you feel that matters. Good luck!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nijallo said:

I came to Australia in 1985 because I’d met an Australian. After two daughters, born here, 5 years in Belgium and back in UK, then back to Melbourne mid-1990s, divorce and life in general, I am finally going home to England at last. I’ve just sold my house and booked my flight for 1 March. Pretty scared but in my heart I know it’s the right thing to do. I’ve never really belonged in Australia and am so excited that I’m finally able to do this. It’s not easy at all but you know in your heart what’s right. Don’t worry about what anyone thinks, it’s only how you feel that matters. Good luck!

I wish you all the very best Nijallo.  It is a very big step, but you are right when you say you knew it was the right thing to do - it's just something you feel inside isn't it.  I share your view.  Like you I have never belonged here and that sense of belonging is so important.  March 1st is very soon.  You must be excited.  If our house sells I will be buying my ticket too.  All the very best to you and your family.

• Like 1

Thank you Beckfield! I am leaving one daughter here (she’s 27) which is incredibly hard but my other one (29) moved to London 3 years ago and will stay in the UK. Wherever I live, I can never have all of my family with me which is the same for most of us on here probably and something we have to learn to live with. I’ve missed my parents and sister terribly over the past decades. I wondered and wondered for years if I could go back and never thought it could actually happen. But it seems it can so please take heart and trust your instincts. Once I actually made the decision and set the ball rolling, it was a huge relief and I felt much happier.

7 hours ago, Beckfield said:

Property is price sensitive so looking at the price you're asking in relation to the suburb, have you tried looking at other houses around that are up for sale and then comparing to what you are selling. Have you taken a hard dispassionate look at your house and made an assessment of its condition, would spending some money on a paint job inside and outside, getting a crew in to clear the garden up, just painting a house through in one colour can often just a lift a place , kerb apeal is often vital, if people pull up and the garden looks tidy and the paintwork looks good then you have got people interested straight away, people feel less inclined to buy somewhere if they immediately feel like there is loads of work, get the carpets cleaned, declutter, strip out all extraneous bits and pieces and furniture,(make it look bigger), box them up and put them in a storage room down the local storage depot. Does the drive and pathways look dirty, get them pressure washed, you'd be amazed at the difference, Do any repair work that is  obvious, if people feel that the jobs list is too long then they will move on.  Sometimes you have to pay out in order to get the best price, I did a inside paint job, replaced a front fence and painted it, cleared the garden up and repainted the steps, front and back doors and decking and got an offer over the asking price in a difficult market.

If you decide to do a paint and clear up, take it off the market, do the work and then get new pictures done and put it back on

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckfield said:

Thanks for your comments Verystormy.  Can you please explain a little further what you mean about completing it from the UK?  I don't quite understand what that's about.  I was going to take a trip, a flying visit,  to UK when we have a contract on our house, and find one to buy.  How did you find it when you got home?  Are you happy to be back?  

Basically, you can leave the house to sell after you have moved back if you can afford to. We moved back prior to selling ours and just left the keys with the agent. Then, when it sold we were able to do the paperwork by email. 

We love being back. It is funny now that our time in Australia almost doesn't feel real. A bit like it was a dream. I think the only thing we miss is the beach, not for swimming or anything, just being close to water as we are more inland here. Though that is mainly my wife - I like being countryside based. 

This will be our second Christmas home and it just feels wonderful. I love having been real winter. Life just feels better, even though we hadn't actually planned to move back - I was out of work and got offered a job back in the UK and we decided to just go for it. Accepted the job on the Tuesday and flew the Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nijallo said:

Thank you Beckfield! I am leaving one daughter here (she’s 27) which is incredibly hard but my other one (29) moved to London 3 years ago and will stay in the UK. Wherever I live, I can never have all of my family with me which is the same for most of us on here probably and something we have to learn to live with. I’ve missed my parents and sister terribly over the past decades. I wondered and wondered for years if I could go back and never thought it could actually happen. But it seems it can so please take heart and trust your instincts. Once I actually made the decision and set the ball rolling, it was a huge relief and I felt much happier.

I can see how that must be tough, never having everyone you love in the one place.  I hope your 27 yo girl decided to move to UK too.  It would be so nice for you.  We went through a similar scenario.  Came here as children, left behind grandparents and other relatives that we loved and never saw again.  I hope people who are thinking of migrating think it through and don't suffer the misery my family did.  It's easier now though, to travel, than it was back then, so going back is possible for most people.  One of my siblings went back a year ago and absolutely loves being home.  His house sold really fast.  Unlike mine !  Lol !!    I'd love to hear how you get on - you only have 2 months to wait.   Hope it's all fantastic.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Property is price sensitive so looking at the price you're asking in relation to the suburb, have you tried looking at other houses around that are up for sale and then comparing to what you are selling. Have you taken a hard dispassionate look at your house and made an assessment of its condition, would spending some money on a paint job inside and outside, getting a crew in to clear the garden up, just painting a house through in one colour can often just a lift a place , kerb apeal is often vital, if people pull up and the garden looks tidy and the paintwork looks good then you have got people interested straight away, people feel less inclined to buy somewhere if they immediately feel like there is loads of work, get the carpets cleaned, declutter, strip out all extraneous bits and pieces and furniture,(make it look bigger), box them up and put them in a storage room down the local storage depot. Does the drive and pathways look dirty, get them pressure washed, you'd be amazed at the difference, Do any repair work that is  obvious, if people feel that the jobs list is too long then they will move on.  Sometimes you have to pay out in order to get the best price, I did a inside paint job, replaced a front fence and painted it, cleared the garden up and repainted the steps, front and back doors and decking and got an offer over the asking price in a difficult market.

If you decide to do a paint and clear up, take it off the market, do the work and then get new pictures done and put it back on

I completely agree with this.  We sold our house at auction, so it was a fairly quick process, but before we even put it on the market we had a good look at the house with a critical eye and fixed up anything that might be problematic.  We had the garden weeded, pruned and mulched, the driveway, back garden footpaths, the verandah and house brickwork pressure washed.  The bathrooms were spruced up with new floor tiles and the baths/sinks were resurfaced and we put in new toilets.  I decorated throughout, painted outside too, and I put most of our belongings into a storage unit, and we had a new carpet upstairs because the old one was the original 25 year old carpet and needed replacing.  We had already done the kitchen and downstairs flooring a couple of years before.  I then moved furniture around to best suit the space and dressed it with new bedspreads, nice ornaments, plants etc.  We had loads of interest, and on the day of the auction sold it for above our expectations and for a suburb record, so it really was worth the hard work and money we spent.

I do understand what you mean about not feeling like you belong.  I didn't really feel that way though until we were back and I felt like I belonged again, if that makes sense.  Like Verystormy, our time in Australia feels a bit like a dream.  It was a nice dream while it lasted, but my goodness it is good to be home!  We've been home for three months, and I am absolutely sure that we've done the right thing.  

I wish you the very best of luck!

1 hour ago, LKC said:

I completely agree with this.  We sold our house at auction, so it was a fairly quick process, but before we even put it on the market we had a good look at the house with a critical eye and fixed up anything that might be problematic.  We had the garden weeded, pruned and mulched, the driveway, back garden footpaths, the verandah and house brickwork pressure washed.  The bathrooms were spruced up with new floor tiles and the baths/sinks were resurfaced and we put in new toilets.  I decorated throughout, painted outside too, and I put most of our belongings into a storage unit, and we had a new carpet upstairs because the old one was the original 25 year old carpet and needed replacing.  We had already done the kitchen and downstairs flooring a couple of years before.  I then moved furniture around to best suit the space and dressed it with new bedspreads, nice ornaments, plants etc.  We had loads of interest, and on the day of the auction sold it for above our expectations and for a suburb record, so it really was worth the hard work and money we spent.

I do understand what you mean about not feeling like you belong.  I didn't really feel that way though until we were back and I felt like I belonged again, if that makes sense.  Like Verystormy, our time in Australia feels a bit like a dream.  It was a nice dream while it lasted, but my goodness it is good to be home!  We've been home for three months, and I am absolutely sure that we've done the right thing.  

I wish you the very best of luck!

Dear Backtodemocracy and LKC, thank you both for your really great hints on selling.  I've certainly done some of what you suggest, and we have a neat, clean and tidy house that has a lot of character but there are things that could be done to improve it.  We don't live in the city.  We live in a smallish town several hours from the city, and our town is not exactly in demand, which I think partially accounts for its slowness to sell although not entirely.  I like your idea of comparing it to others of similar value in our locality.  

LKC I was very heartened to read the final words in your post that relayed you were sure you have done the right thing.  I have been youtubing my home town in England for years and just wishing we could go.  When the house sells it will be surreal to be able to just go.   

I appreciate your input.  Many thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beckfield said:

yes ,as much as I love oz , and oz loved me , I can understand the not belonging .

the things that you are worrying about ...dont .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nijallo said:

the split family eh .....my nightmare ....luckily , we are still extremely close geographically ...which is all i can ask for .

iam the only male in the immediate family here in the u.k ....so I try to keep an eye on them all

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beckfield said:

I grew up in Australia and spent roughly 30 years there in all, in the early years I considered myself Australian but over the years I felt less and less of a connection until it got to the point I realised that we had to move here. No problem for my wife as she was always 90% English and 10% Australian. Our kids were 10 when we made the move and it could have been a tricky age but they took it in their stride and adapted instantly. They now consider themselves English, after just over 5 years here. We moved into a wonderful village and were made very welcome. We never felt like foreigners, even our boys who were in fact foreigners lol. Best move we ever made. 

As for the selling if the house it can be a bit of a lottery, our house sold in 1 day whereas my brothers house in Brisbane took close to 2 years. The thing to do is to price it attractively. It will sell but if you don' mind taking a little bit of s hit it might be worth dropping the price a bit. I don' think you have mentioned where you are but ZPerth for example house prices seem to be falling.

Good luck, you will love being home. 

2 hours ago, bristolman said:

I grew up in Australia and spent roughly 30 years there in all, in the early years I considered myself Australian but over the years I felt less and less of a connection until it got to the point I realised that we had to move here. No problem for my wife as she was always 90% English and 10% Australian. Our kids were 10 when we made the move and it could have been a tricky age but they took it in their stride and adapted instantly. They now consider themselves English, after just over 5 years here. We moved into a wonderful village and were made very welcome. We never felt like foreigners, even our boys who were in fact foreigners lol. Best move we ever made. 

As for the selling if the house it can be a bit of a lottery, our house sold in 1 day whereas my brothers house in Brisbane took close to 2 years. The thing to do is to price it attractively. It will sell but if you don' mind taking a little bit of s hit it might be worth dropping the price a bit. I don' think you have mentioned where you are but ZPerth for example house prices seem to be falling.

Good luck, you will love being home. 

Very reassuring bristolman, thank you.  Lovely that your family all love it in England - especially the children having adjusted to well.  Yes, my brother's house sold immediately too, yet we are struggling to sell ours.  We live in a country town here homes are less in demand, so prices are far lower than the cities and there aren't as many buyers.  I hover between excitement at the prospect of going home, and anxiety, so your positive words are most welcome.  Thank you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beckfield said:

Very reassuring bristolman, thank you.  Lovely that your family all love it in England - especially the children having adjusted to well.  Yes, my brother's house sold immediately too, yet we are struggling to sell ours.  We live in a country town here homes are less in demand, so prices are far lower than the cities and there aren't as many buyers.  I hover between excitement at the prospect of going home, and anxiety, so your positive words are most welcome.  Thank you.

No worries at all. We obviously worried that the kids wouldn't take to it but we needn't have worried at all. You are bound to feel anxious but look at the whole thing as a huge adventure. Don't put time limits or constraints on it, when the house sells it sells then the adventure starts. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:58, Beckfield said:

Dear Backtodemocracy and LKC, thank you both for your really great hints on selling.  I've certainly done some of what you suggest, and we have a neat, clean and tidy house that has a lot of character but there are things that could be done to improve it.  We don't live in the city.  We live in a smallish town several hours from the city, and our town is not exactly in demand, which I think partially accounts for its slowness to sell although not entirely.  I like your idea of comparing it to others of similar value in our locality.  

LKC I was very heartened to read the final words in your post that relayed you were sure you have done the right thing.  I have been youtubing my home town in England for years and just wishing we could go.  When the house sells it will be surreal to be able to just go.   

I appreciate your input.  Many thanks.

where is your home town ?

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

You will only get what someone is willing to pay at the end of the day, are you being realistic with the price you want?

Hi Sandgroper, yes, you're quite right.  It's certainly realistically priced and we'll negotiate if need be.  There haven't been many houses sold recently in our town.  Agent is hopeful that with Christmas over with and warm weather in play we may have more luck.  

8 minutes ago, Beckfield said:

Hi Sandgroper, yes, you're quite right.  It's certainly realistically priced and we'll negotiate if need be.  There haven't been many houses sold recently in our town.  Agent is hopeful that with Christmas over with and warm weather in play we may have more luck.  

Yeah things certainly quiet down over the Christmas period, at least if not a lot local has been selling in general it's not something you are doing wrong, just need to hold on for a bit.

8 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

Yeah things certainly quiet down over the Christmas period, at least if not a lot local has been selling in general it's not something you are doing wrong, just need to hold on for a bit.

Patience never was my strong point I'm afraid.  We thought we'd be back in England for Christmas.  But must say, feeling very positive now it's a new year and they took lots of new photos of the house for the internet ad.  Here's hoping..  

3 minutes ago, Beckfield said:

Patience never was my strong point I'm afraid.  We thought we'd be back in England for Christmas.  But must say, feeling very positive now it's a new year and they took lots of new photos of the house for the internet ad.  Here's hoping..  

Trust me you will appreciate arriving in late spring/Summer break you in slowly B|

• Like 1