What did you do in Tassie today?

Bound4Tassie

Lovely mild, sunny day here today so we decided to go to the small town of Longford, a very nice "older" town about 95 km from Devonport.  We went on the  Heritage Walk then had lunch in the pub.  

https://www.ourtasmania.com.au/launceston/longford-walk.html

In the afternoon we visited Brickenden House and gardens near Longford.

https://brickendon.com.au/attractions

A very nice day out.  😀

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of friends and I went for afternoon tea in Longford.   After that we visited Woolmers Estate and rose garden.  Thomas Archer migrated from Hertfordshire in 1812 and after working in Sydney he moved to Tasmania.  He acquired a huge amount of land and built a large house in 1819 and made a formal garden.  The garden is open to the public.

woolmers homestead.jpg

woolmers estate garden.jpg

woolmers estate garden1.jpg

woolmers estate garden2.JPG

Edited by Toots

37 minutes ago, Toots said:

A couple of friends and I went for afternoon tea in Longford.   After that we visited Woolmers Estate and rose garden.  Thomas Archer migrated from Hertfordshire in 1812 and after working in Sydney he moved to Tasmania.  He acquired a huge amount of land and built a large house in 1819 and made a formal garden.  The garden is open to the public.

woolmers homestead.jpg

woolmers estate garden.jpg

woolmers estate garden1.jpg

woolmers estate garden2.JPG

The house looks beautiful. Looks great where the roofline of the tiles and tin roof join. Love a tin roof.

Edited by Russ1976

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from a few days on the east coast.  The weather has been perfect and this is the little cottage - built 1860 - we stayed in.  Not many tourists around    ..............  though quite a few cars with Qld number plates.  The border is opening to all mainland states on the 15th.  All tourists must be fully vaccinated.

wagner's cottage.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the next few days we are based in the little town of Waratah (population 245) as we will be walking and exploring in the Savage River National Park and the Tarkine Wilderness.  So beautiful and almost other worldly.  All you can hear are birds and running water. 

WARATAH

waratah.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We had a lovely lunch today in a local restaurant.  Prem's Seafood Bar and Grill is owned by a young couple who live round the corner from us.  Prem was adopted from a Sri Lankan orphanage by a Tasmanian couple when he was 3 years old and his wife is from Lithuania.  He has always had an interest in acting and singing and did a bit of that for a few years in Sydney.  He also does voluntary work with youth mental health.  I don't know how he finds the time as they are also parents of three very young children.  

prema.jpg

43 minutes ago, Skani said:

Especially beautiful at this time of year.  Also in spring when the rhododendrons are flowering. 

Friends were in Hobart last weekend and they said your Botanical Gardens are looking lovely.

atumn hobart.jpg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Friends were in Hobart last weekend and they said your Botanical Gardens are looking lovely.

Yes, I was thinking only yesterday that it would be a great place for an autumnal stroll at the moment. 

• 2 months later...

We had a lovely drive around the Meander Valley today and had bruncb at Calstock House near Deloraine.  

The first owner of Calstock was Lieutenant Pearson Foote. He received the land grant in about 1830 after starting out as a settler in Western Australia but finding the going too tough. Foote was forced to sell Calstock in the depression of the 1840s and it subsequently became a property of the Field family.

The family patriarch, William Field, had been transported to Australia from London for receiving nine stolen sheep as a butcher and made a fortune out of cattle farming in Tasmania after he was freed. When he died in 1837, Field's wealth was estimated at 1.238 per cent of the country's GDP—billions of dollars, in today's terms—and he owned one-third of all the land and buildings in Launceston.  The Field family sold Calstock in 1972.

calstock1.jpg

calstock.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

We're heading off today for a few days with my Canadian rellies to the Cradle Mountain area.  The weather is lovely so hope it lasts.  We will be spending a couple of nights at the old Pumphouse.  Pics below by a local photographer.

The Pumphouse hotel began its life as a Hydro Electric pumping station built in the 1940s to pump water from Lake St Clair to a remote power station. It was only used a few times before eventually being abandoned and then finally heritage listed in the 1980s.  It sits 240 metres out over the lake.  Apparently it's a very comfortable place to stay.

the pumphouse4.jpg

pumphouse at dusk.jpg

pumphouse fire.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

We're heading off today for a few days with my Canadian rellies to the Cradle Mountain area.  The weather is lovely so hope it lasts.  We will be spending a couple of nights at the old Pumphouse.  Pics below by a local photographer.

The Pumphouse hotel began its life as a Hydro Electric pumping station built in the 1940s to pump water from Lake St Clair to a remote power station. It was only used a few times before eventually being abandoned and then finally heritage listed in the 1980s.  It sits 240 metres out over the lake.  Apparently it's a very comfortable place to stay.

The Pumphouse is somewhere I'd love to stay, have a wonderful time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday afternoon, I was very fortunate in watching my first duckbilled platypus, close to where we are staying. I will try to get a picture on my next walk that way. Fairywrens, goldfinches and a rare saddleback bandicoot all on the land I am staying. What a great welcome to Cygnet for us.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorow we are meeting friends in the little town of Bothwell. It  is one of the most important Georgian towns in Tasmania. Beyond its historic significance it is a quiet, pretty agricultural town on the Clyde River.  Governor George Arthur named Bothwell after a town in South Lanarkshire, Scotland which lies to the east of Glasgow.  Bothwell was settled in the 1820s, mainly by Scottish farmers. In its early days, fire-and-brimstone sermons were delivered in Gaelic from the town’s pulpits.

bothwell4.jpg

bothwell3.jpg

bothwell5.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, unzippy said:

Went to my fave Tassie pub for a few.  It's the only time I've seen a real hand pump in operation in Aus.

And yes, they had the fire going, because Tas. 

PXL_20230103_095314262.jpg

PXL_20230103_104831610.jpg

PXL_20230103_101854972.jpg

PXL_20230103_093845622.jpg

PXL_20230103_092404367 (1).jpg

Google the British pub The Duke of Clarence in Sydney, fairly sure they have them, and draft Guinness 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Google the British pub The Duke of Clarence in Sydney, fairly sure they have them, and draft Guinness 

We were in The Duke of Clarence on Monday and yes, there are definitely hand pump on the bar.  

Enjoying a week with my old pal from Lancashire whilst she is in Sydney for a visit with her son.

• Like 2