Newbie looking for info on renting

Kristoffer

Hi. Newbie here,  hoping to relocate to Melbourne soon (even just for a year). My plan was to go over, stay in a hotel for a bit and look for a 1 bedroom apartment for something a bit more permanent.  Can anyone give me any info on how easy or hard it is to rent property in Australia.  Been looking online at places and emailed agents but never got back to me.  If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

You are unlikely to get much response.  You will be expected to view a property in person before agreeing a rental.  You might find air b&b or a short term furnished rental cheaper than a hotel for a few weeks as well.  Once on the ground you can go to opens and apply for longer term rentals, most will be 12 months and unfurnished but in the city you may well find furnished rentals for 6 or 12 month let’s.

Keep looking on line to get a feel for the market though.

Agents tend not to respond until you are here and able to view properties. It is probably best to line up a holiday let or short term accommodation for a few weeks ,giving you time to see what longer term places are available, view then and then apply. Just make sure you have plenty of ID and a covering letter stating your new to the country to submitt with your application.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 23:15, Kristoffer said:

Been looking online at places and emailed agents but never got back to me. 

They hardly ever get back to you even if you are in Oz. They have so many people viewing or applying for a rental, that they either don't have time or think they don;t need to. Just book into a motel or hostel when you get here for say 6 - 8 weeks, have a look around and apply in person. Took me a few days to secure a rental once I put my mind to it. Just make sure all the required paperwork is on hand, so this won't delay you once you are ready to pounce. If coming to Sydney, there are thousands of new flats just come onto the market for rent.

Finding a rental has been our biggest headache.  However we wanted to live in 1 very specific area in Tassie and not many rentals were coming up. Sometimes the agents don't get back to you. You have to pester them a bit and be very on the ball about new listings. 

We were getting quite disheartened. ...not to mention fed up of living with inlaws  ( as kind as it is of them to have us!)

Luckily we found a private rental via word of mouth / Facebook ( hubbie has a cousin who "knows everyone "). Move in tomorrow.  Can't wait! Lovely brand new house. 

Good luck with your rental.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just been looking at this post.  Does anyone know if different agents accept different points for different proofs of ID?  We're moving to Sydney and I've seen a few different ways of getting the 100 points. We'll have our passports, bank statement and hopefully medicare cards, but as newbies how do we make up the other points? Neither of us has jobs yet, but I do have remote contracts based in the UK - will that count as a letter of offer / employment?   Thanks.

• Like 1

If you have no jobs, maybe show them a copy of a healthy bank balance to show you have funds to pay the rent.

Its also worth doing a covering letter explaining your new to the country, hence lack of Aus references etc etc

At the end of the day chuck as much ID and paperwork at them as you can.

Cal x

On 29/12/2017 at 01:55, LucyHose said:

Hi all,

Just been looking at this post.  Does anyone know if different agents accept different points for different proofs of ID?  We're moving to Sydney and I've seen a few different ways of getting the 100 points. We'll have our passports, bank statement and hopefully medicare cards, but as newbies how do we make up the other points? Neither of us has jobs yet, but I do have remote contracts based in the UK - will that count as a letter of offer / employment?   Thanks.

Get a drivers license.  Is invaluable for ID generally in Australia.

Sometimes agents ask you to apply online and fill in a web form and it can be hard to answer some questions when you have little history renting. I suggest asking for a paper version to be emailed to you or pick up the form up at an open day.

It's much easier to gloss over the questions you don't want to answer (and add info which may help) on a paper form than a web based one.

• Like 1