Cost of living in Melbourne

Johnnyboy

Whatever your salary you have to factor in that it will cost you to move and the first year at least you will be in rented accommodation, which is never as good as having your own place. I have done it 6 times now and it's quite an upheaval. I just moved back to be near to my elderly  mother. My stuff is still in storage and yesterday I went to check on it. It was lovely to see some of my stuff again, it will be another 6 months before I have moved into the house I am buying and got everything updated and all my stuff straight. 

You need to be mentally prepared for it. You can see on the forum many posters going both ways get to about 4 months in and are convinced they made the wrong move. It takes at least a year to settle it's not like a domestic move.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 2

I do have the job offer and signed the contract already (subject to visa obviously). My concern was (and is!) if we can cope with my salary. We need to take everything in consideration and they're a lot of things we didn't know about (insurance, school cost, taxes, etc) hence this thread.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyboy said:

I do have the job offer and signed the contract already (subject to visa obviously). My concern was (and is!) if we can cope with my salary. We need to take everything in consideration and they're a lot of things we didn't know about (insurance, school cost, taxes, etc) hence this thread.

You are doing the absolute right thing by starting this thread, you need to know the good, the bad AND the ugly. 

Guest The Pom Queen
22 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I had obviously lost track of property prices down there, a mate who just got a job on the trains in Altona sent me this of a very ordinary house in not a great area. $800k. What does a house in a nice area cost ? 

received_1579038728823121.jpeg

To be so close to the city that's a great price. You can half this if you are happy to commute 45minutes - 60mins to the city.

8 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

To be so close to the city that's a great price. You can half this if you are happy to commute 45minutes - 60mins to the city.

A great price ? In Sunshine West ? Where would 60 mins be, Narre Warren ? Another pretty ordinary area and well over $500k fof anything decent.  

Guest The Pom Queen
A great price ? In Sunshine West ? Where would 60 mins be, Narre Warren ? Another pretty ordinary area and well over $500k fof anything decent.  
. Cranbourne is far from ordinary. Probably 15 years ago it was but Casey is the largest and fastest growing council in the whole of Victoria. It’s 20 minutes to the beach, 10 minutes to Fountain Gate which is the second largest shopping centre in Australia. Is surrounded by great schools. Is the start of the train line so you are guaranteed a seat when traveling to the city.
Anyway let us take this to a new thread if we want to discuss house prices or suburbs. Although I think your experience will be totally outdated. Even mine will be to some extent as I’ve been gone a while. It use to be all fields. Not any longer

Guest The Pom Queen
57 minutes ago, Johnnyboy said:

On a PR you won't pay school fees, however there is a fee most schools charge all parents. These vary between schools but in a public school they average around $200. On top of this you have to purchase school books for students to write in. Each school will send out a booklist at the end of year for the following year. An example of what needs purchasing I have attached.

You will also have uniform costs, an idea of a public (state) school price list attached here.

IMG_3985.PNG

School lunch - They don't have school dinners, your child can take a packed lunch or some schools have a canteen (a walk up Cafe) I have also attached an example menu. 

IMG_3986.PNG

The other things state schools try to charge are voluntary extras, now you are NOT legally obliged to pay these, although some parents have commented that their child has been treat different if they haven't been paid. Here are some examples of voluntary fees

• Contributions to a building or a library fund. These are contributions that have been endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) are tax deductible.
  • Contributions for a specific purpose identified by the school: for example, equipment, materials or services in addition to those funded through the Student Resource Package. This may include additional computers or student-related services. 
  • general voluntary contributions.

IMG_3987.PNG

IMG_3988.PNG

IMG_3989.PNG

Guest The Pom Queen

Also going on school fees, state schools (public here) vary in their costs, some may charge $100 where others have been known to charge $1,500

Some people have moved and loved it here despite initial low incomes, we've had people who've struggled on massive salaries.  I think anything is possible - it's possible you will be less stressed - Bristolman achieved that going back to the UK and you could achieve that by moving - you'll only know the outcome if you try.

Do have a plan if your wife doesn't settle, the best chance really is if you both want to make it work and are fully invested.  We came to Perth without having been before and settled without difficulty so I don't personally (from my own experience) see that as an insurmountable hurdle.

I think if you're after a change - see it as an adventure, don't sell the house until you know if you like it, see if you can take a career break.  I agree with The Pom Queen, don't let the negatives make you change your mind, but instead do let them offer you food for thought, that's how we viewed things and it gave rise to a lot of discussions and planning for "what ifs" (none of which materialised).

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 2

If you are coming on a PR visa with children, you may well be entitled to Family assistance , this can bump up your income greatly, especially when first starting out here and on a lower salary. Rent assitance was another benefit that PR holders didnt have a waiting period for and could claim straight away. 

I have always said migrating is like starting adult life all over again, our first year here was comparable to the first year when we bought our first home in the UK years ago and moved in together, your adapting to new surrondings, some days you wonder what the hell you have done and to top it all off, your bloody skint ! lol ..  If you have the patience to jump a few hurdles and hang in there and get out , explore and meet people, you can have a great life out here. Like you we wanted to spend more time outdoors, beach, forests, general exploring really and we sure get it, the best bit is ,most of it is free.

Good luck with your plans and do make sure both of you are 100% behind the move or you will struggle to make it work once here.

Cal x

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, calNgary said:

If you are coming on a PR visa with children, you may well be entitled to Family assistance , this can bump up your income greatly, especially when first starting out here and on a lower salary. Rent assitance was another benefit that PR holders didnt have a waiting period for and could claim straight away. 

I have always said migrating is like starting adult life all over again, our first year here was comparable to the first year when we bought our first home in the UK years ago and moved in together, your adapting to new surrondings, some days you wonder what the hell you have done and to top it all off, your bloody skint ! lol ..  If you have the patience to jump a few hurdles and hang in there and get out , explore and meet people, you can have a great life out here. Like you we wanted to spend more time outdoors, beach, forests, general exploring really and we sure get it, the best bit is ,most of it is free.

Good luck with your plans and do make sure both of you are 100% behind the move or you will struggle to make it work once here.

Cal x

I'm not sure they would be eligible for either payment on earnings in excess of $85,000.

18 minutes ago, Melb2016 said:

You need to talk to the employers and try and up your salary - 85k AUD lifestyle would not be equivalent to 50k GBP lifestyle.

It does depend on the level of the job, it is not unreasonable to take a less senior job to get started but I agree if the job is an equivalent level the salary seems low.

It's a risk for them to get an unknown engineer from a different country and I need to prove myself first. I agree with that and I'm not upset about it. Then I can have a review after 6 months. Starting salary is above average for a telecoms engineer according to hays.com.au. In our job, especially here in UK, we get a lot of O/T but I don't know how it's in Oz.

• Like 1

When we first moved my OH was earning $85k and I wasn't working.  We got both family tax benefit A and B and the rent assistance that goes with it.  We weren't rolling in but we managed fine.  I then got a job and my OH quit his and we were living on about $56k a year.  That was tight and I wouldn't want to do that again.  Things have got more expensive since but if you could rent somewhere for $450ish a week you should be okay with some careful budgeting.

• Like 3

Ok so yes its more expensive, I'm from the UK married and moved to NZ which is more expensive. Now living in Melbourne. The life style out ways everything. Don't gete wrong you need to afford living which on your wage you will. Aldi for shopping, you cut back until you find your way. Its doable. You'll kick yourself if you don't at least try it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using PomsinOz mobile app

• Like 4

We have just moved to Melbourne and thought initially it was expensive but once you start seeing things in dollars rather than pounds that changes. Petrol is far cheaper. Freah meat is cheaper and farmers markets for fresh veggies etc are a god send. We initially thought toiletries were reallt expensive then we found out about the reject shop. Yes the rent of your house is more but so is your earings. If your not planning to live in the center of melbourne or the immediate outskirta you'll be fine. We live 30 minutes by train from flinders and we're doing fine!  Good luck and enjoy ( Jen from Glasgow)

• Like 6