Does anyone know the answer to this?

juk2017

I'm aware that if you go to Australia as a last remaining relative there is currently a waiting time of 50+ years to get the visa, so you get placed on a bridging visa in the mean time. My question is while you're on a bridging visa can you earn an income online in Australia if you have an online business or is there a rule saying you can't earn money on a bridging visa?

Edited by juk2017

There are so many rules, Australia doesn't want British people  to go there so they deliberately make it almost impossible to qualify. They are an ageist nation if you are young you have a huge advantage, if you are older you have no chance of getting in. Age discrimination is rampant there.

Edited by juk2017

While it may appear discriminatory, it's about limiting immigration to those who they feel will best be able to contribute to society and the economy.  So skilled visas get highest priority and family visas less.  And young skilled workers will get higher priority than older ones because they will work longer and contribute more in tax.

• Like 2

That is to be expected.

Young people will be in gainful employment and pay their fair share of tax before looking to receive payments like Age Pension from the government.

It would not be economic to accept older people who are not going to be net contributors to the country.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

While it may appear discriminatory, it's about limiting immigration to those who they feel will best be able to contribute to society and the economy.  So skilled visas get highest priority and family visas less.  And young skilled workers will get higher priority than older ones because they will work longer and contribute more in tax.

That's terrible. Everyone should be treated equally no matter what age they are. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they will contribute more tax or work longer. They could get run over , or die of anything  at a young age whilst someone older could live to be 95.

11 minutes ago, juk2017 said:

That's terrible. Everyone should be treated equally no matter what age they are. Just because someone is young doesn't mean they will contribute more tax or work longer. They could get run over , or die of anything  at a young age whilst someone older could live to be 95.

That's exactly why. The patter goes Australia is an ageing country, as most the rest of the western world, hence immigration helps alleviate this factor. I guess unless well minted the powers that be don't want people drawing a pension at 95.

Of course our present crop of immigrants running at level levels, will be aged in thirty odd years, meaning ever greater numbers will be needed to address the problem continually.

Australia is not anti British immigration, as you wrote in an earlier post, just there is a higher emphasis on Asian migration these days in order to in part secure us into the region. Plus a lot of choice from such a huge area. But British born still make up the largest number of foreign born by some way. Though that per cent is in decline.

2 hours ago, juk2017 said:

It isn’t terrible. When talking about migration of course you can’t treat people equally. You can only go on the law of averages and I defy any 70 year old to put 40 years into the local workforce. Just because the odd one works until they drop at 95 doesn’t mean you gear your immigration policy around that. Bottom line is that the older you are the more you are “likely” to cost the community and the less you will contribute via tax. Immigration isn’t a feel good program it’s a logistics business - which is how it should be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, juk2017 said:

Australia doesn't want British people  to go there so they deliberately make it almost impossible to qualify. 

If that were true there wouldn't be nearly 2 million British born people currently living in Australia - and around 200,00 still arriving each year.

• Like 3

Guest The Pom Queen
7 hours ago, juk2017 said:

I'm aware that if you go to Australia as a last remaining relative there is currently a waiting time of 50+ years to get the visa, so you get placed on a bridging visa in the mean time. My question is while you're on a bridging visa can you earn an income online in Australia if you have an online business or is there a rule saying you can't earn money on a bridging visa?

What visa were you on at the time of applying? Afaik you will be subject to those visa terms and conditions until the remaining relative visa has been processed 

9 hours ago, juk2017 said:

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

What visa were you on at the time of applying? Afaik you will be subject to those visa terms and conditions until the remaining relative visa has been processed 

Afaik? I haven't applied for any visa, I just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer to my question as I wanted to go over as a last remaining relative and work online. Seems like no one knows the answer to my question. I'll see if an immigration expert knows. I've tried contacting Australian immigration sites before and had no reply which is why I tried here first.

Edited by juk2017
wondering who afaik is

Guest The Pom Queen
Afaik? I haven't applied for any visa, I just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer to my question as I wanted to go over as a last remaining relative and work online. Seems like no one knows the answer to my question. I'll see if an immigration expert knows.

No one knows because you aren't presenting all the facts. The visa which you arrive on would have conditions and as far as I know (afaik) it would be those which will be in place until the remaining relative was granted.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Ah right I see. Here's what happens. When you apply for a last remaining relative visa there's a waiting period of 50 years. I think used to be 30 years but it's increased now. So realistically no one actually gets the visa, so you're on a bridging visa for life, unless you happen to live to over 100. When a visa doesn't permit work obviously that means you can't get a job e.g being employed by someone.  But what about an online business? If someone has an income derived from the internet that's not the same as being employed by an Australian company so would you be allowed to stay on a bridging visa and have an online business? Or does Australia class "work" as online and offline?

1 hour ago, juk2017 said:

Ah right I see. Here's what happens. When you apply for a last remaining relative visa there's a waiting period of 50 years. I think used to be 30 years but it's increased now. So realistically no one actually gets the visa, so you're on a bridging visa for life, unless you happen to live to over 100. When a visa doesn't permit work obviously that means you can't get a job e.g being employed by someone.  But what about an online business? If someone has an income derived from the internet that's not the same as being employed by an Australian company so would you be allowed to stay on a bridging visa and have an online business? Or does Australia class "work" as online and offline?

You can apply and wait in UK then you will have no constraints as to work at all. No bridging visa necessary.

1 hour ago, juk2017 said:

you are still working and earning, so if you come on a tourist visa I think that would be a no!

37 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You can apply and wait in UK then you will have no constraints as to work at all. No bridging visa necessary.

So I have to wait 50 years until I can go to Australia? I will be dead before then.

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

you are still working and earning, so if you come on a tourist visa I think that would be a no!

You can earn money online in Australia on a tourist visa, why can't you? They don't stop you earning money on bank interest whilst you're on a tourist visa do they, it's the same working online.

Just now, AJ said:

I dont really know why you bothered to ask as you obviously know better than anyone else.  Why dont you just try it and see!

I asked as I don't know the answer. I can't try it and see as I need to know in advance obviously. Who would go all the way to Australia without making sure they knew the rules before they went? I'll try and find someone knowledgeable on an immigration site.

Let me explain what I mean. Some people travel the world whilst blogging. Some of them make thousands a month from Youtube and from ads on their blogs etc. Now when they travel the world and go to Australia on a tourist visa and stay 3 or 6 months they aren't told by immigration officials to delete their blogs and Youtube videos so they can't earn revenue whilst they are visiting Australia. They keep earning passive income, correct? They are still allowed to post to their blogs when they are there. They aren't told to stop working on their sites, right?

Edited by juk2017

1 hour ago, AJ said:

See my post above. When was the last time a travel writer or blogger was given a tourist visa for Australia and they were told to delete their Youtube videos and delete their blogs or told they cannot work on their blogs and earn passive income for the duration of their stay? Of course you can earn money in Australia when on a tourist visa!

So you are intending to enter Australia as a tourist but not intending to be a tourist? They don’t much like that. I think you need professional advice about what you can and can’t do. Certainly arriving on a tourist visa when you have no intention of being a tourist but then sitting on a bridging visa which has the same conditions as your  entry visa isn’t what DIBP expect of you. 

8 hours ago, juk2017 said:

Let me explain what I mean. Some people travel the world whilst blogging. Some of them make thousands a month from Youtube and from ads on their blogs etc. Now when they travel the world and go to Australia on a tourist visa and stay 3 or 6 months they aren't told by immigration officials to delete their blogs and Youtube videos so they can't earn revenue whilst they are visiting Australia. They keep earning passive income, correct? They are still allowed to post to their blogs when they are there. They aren't told to stop working on their sites, right?

I'd expect there is something to do with their actual official country of residence and that if they are earning money while away they are paying taxes there on it? Plenty of people travel and work but I'd expect them to declare their earnings in their actual country of residence and via that countries tax system. 

I suggest you contact a reputable migration agent for a consult and perhaps pay them for their time if need be.