Which part of the UK did you come from?

Purplethunder

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tony.London Suburbs

Read the first 18 pages of this thread and it confirms my long held theory in that very few people want to leave London for Australia even though there are 7/8 Million potential Emigrants!

Most departees seem to be from The Midlands/North and Scotland(in particular).

Why is this, considering most Emigrants say that there are moving because of the attractions of Australia?

If it is Oz thats so inviting why do so few Londoners want to depart and yet a much higher ratio of people do from other parts of Britain Guys?

Read the first 18 pages of this thread and it confirms my long held theory in that very few people want to leave London for Australia even though there are 7/8 Million potential Emigrants!

Why is this, considering most Emigrants say that there are moving because of the attractions of Australia?

If it is Oz thats so inviting why do so few Londoners want to depart and yet a much higher ratio of people do from other parts of Britain Guys?

Maybe they aint got no brains, guv, no wot I mean??:tongue:

Me? from British West Bradfud...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest9973
Batley to Sydney (Hopefully), Now theres two places that are a worlds apart:laugh:

You are right there.

I'm Pudsey ,now in Adelaide ,which the center ren=minds me a little of Harrogate.Apart from it's not got a Bettys Tea Room.:biglaugh:

Guest Guest9973
Maybe they aint got no brains, guv, no wot I mean??:tongue:

Me? from British West Bradfud...

Cheers, Bobj.

Aye lad.

Sithee we ave the nouse. :biglaugh:

A Pudsey lad.

Guest Guest9973
Eeeee eck! Ah thowt tha'd stick thi two bobs wuth in. Ah Len wor from there, Pudsey, that is. (Touches forelock in homage to t' great batter)

Cheers, Bobj.

:biglaugh:

Do you still have your accent??

Mine is still here.

I'm instantly recognisable by all when I use the Marine 27meg and VHF radios.

I don't even have to use my Sea Rescue call sign!

Guest annemarie and brian

well i am from essex and i know loads of couples that have parted london and the

southeast areas.

:biglaugh:

Do you still have your accent??

Mine is still here.

I'm instantly recognisable by all when I use the Marine 27meg and VHF radios.

I don't even have to use my Sea Rescue call sign!

No, mate. After 46 years i hope it's gone:jiggy:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Trina Findlay

I left London -well, Bromley - but that's more London nowadays than Kent - to go to Weymouth, Dorset... it's a bit closer! But I ended up moving from there to Oz after 4 years.. nothing to do with not liking Dorset, I still love it - just the draw of Oz! Hated London - after a year here in Oz in 2002*2003, I went home to the UK, but I only lasted just a couple of weeks in London before I had to escape the pollution and claustrophobia for the lure of the Dorset coast.. and then to Oz.. I've always been amazed at the number of people I met while working in London that had never been outside the M25!! No idea why, I think they must be crazy in the coconut!! :laugh:

Guest Tony.London Suburbs
I left London -well, Bromley - but that's more London nowadays than Kent - to go to Weymouth, Dorset... it's a bit closer! But I ended up moving from there to Oz after 4 years.. nothing to do with not liking Dorset, I still love it - just the draw of Oz! Hated London - after a year here in Oz in 2002*2003, I went home to the UK, but I only lasted just a couple of weeks in London before I had to escape the pollution and claustrophobia for the lure of the Dorset coast.. and then to Oz.. I've always been amazed at the number of people I met while working in London that had never been outside the M25!! No idea why, I think they must be crazy in the coconut!! :laugh:

To my amazement I suddenly realised yesterday that I had "nearly" spent half of my life in Bexley(as you know on the edge of London) having "emigrated" from the heart of South London. I was born and bred in Walworth, lived over East Street Market, near The Elephant and Castle. I STILL, 26 years later, miss the buzz, vitality and endless "choice" in London.

Bexley has been great to live in. Been very safe (1 incident in 26 years near me) and I live 50 yards from 180-acre Danson Park, which is beautiful and totally unspoilt, yet my 3-bedroom house only costs £190,000 Tops.

When I regularly visits friends in West Sussex I think its great but sooo quiet and I would die of boredom after the initial "honeymoon period" if I lived there.

I would miss the weather too in England. Yesterday there was 8 inches of Snow and it was FANTASTIC!..a real "Winter Wonderland"...hundreds of people went to one of my local Woods(Oxleas) and improvised:notworthy:..Convential Sledges, even road signs were used and everyone had a great time.It was a pleasure being in that gathering even though the snow was falling but no-one cared.Today it is blazing sunshine and in 5 weeks the Winter will be a memory and we have The Daffodils/Primroses/Bluebells/Crocus's to look forward too!

I hope U R enjoying Oz, must be a great adventure but for me there's plenty of space in The Suburbs, decent westher(by UK standards) "relatively" plenty of work and at 54 I still feel incredibly stimulated which is partly to do with the variety on my doorstep in any direction.

Today I'm going to explore The Kensington Area of West London.

Thursday I'm off to East Grinstead and beyond(40 mins from Bromley!) into the heart of the very green (and White!) English Countryside.....

To my amazement I suddenly realised yesterday that I had "nearly" spent half of my life in Bexley(as you know on the edge of London) having "emigrated" from the heart of South London. I was born and bred in Walworth, lived over East Street Market, near The Elephant and Castle. I STILL, 26 years later, miss the buzz, vitality and endless "choice" in London.

Bexley has been great to live in. Been very safe (1 incident in 26 years near me) and I live 50 yards from 180-acre Danson Park, which is beautiful and totally unspoilt, yet my 3-bedroom house only costs £190,000 Tops.

When I regularly visits friends in West Sussex I think its great but sooo quiet and I would die of boredom after the initial "honeymoon period" if I lived there.

I would miss the weather too in England. Yesterday there was 8 inches of Snow and it was FANTASTIC!..a real "Winter Wonderland"...hundreds of people went to one of my local Woods(Oxleas) and improvised:notworthy:..Convential Sledges, even road signs were used

criminal damage and vandaslism

and everyone had a great time.It was a pleasure being in that gathering even though the snow was falling but no-one cared.Today it is blazing sunshine and in 5 weeks the Winter will be a memory and we have The Daffodils/Primroses/Bluebells/Crocus's to look forward too!

I hope U R enjoying Oz, must be a great adventure but for me there's plenty of space in The Suburbs, decent westher(by UK standards) "relatively" plenty of work and at 54 I still feel incredibly stimulated which is partly to do with the variety on my doorstep in any direction.

Thursday I'm off to East Grinstead and beyond(40 mins from Bromley!) into the heart of the very green (and White!) English Countryside]

Guest cheshire lass
We are in a Railway town in Hampshire, Southampton/Winchester ish which is changing beyond recognition with so many 2 bedroom bl**dy flats and affordable housing being built on every available piece of land - can't wait to leave now, get me outta here:arghh:

can you guess where we are??

Gill you are not allowed to play LOL too easy for you:yes:

I think we did this before but good to re visit since we have so many members now

Karen X

Hi Karen, my OH is from HedgeEnd and his sister live in Woolston. He came out here at 20 in the 70's and when we went back for a visit 12 years ago he found it very upsetting to see the farms built on and vowed never to go back again. So i go on my own to see my family in Liverpool and Blackpool. i was born near Northwich

I was born in Huddersfield, W. Yorks, grew up in Margate, Kent. Hubby born in Romford, Essex, grew up in Ramsgate, Kent. We moved to Rishton, nr. Blackburn where our son was born, then Accrington and now live in Mandurah, WA. Been here for nearly a year now and loving it.:cool:

Guest smogmonster

born near, (and lived for 20 years) Hull area, then spent 7 years near Middlesbrough, now live in Richmond, North Yorkshire. In early phases of getting Nursing skills assessed, but dont foresee any problems. Hoping to get to Hobart between April - September next year.

Born in Sunderland, Co Durham lived in Leamington Spa now in Perth since August 2003 and love it. Never been back to UK and have no intention of:smile:

Guest Trina Findlay

I would miss the weather too in England. Yesterday there was 8 inches of Snow and it was FANTASTIC!..a real "Winter Wonderland"...hundreds of people went to one of my local Woods(Oxleas) and improvised:notworthy:..Convential Sledges, even road signs were used and everyone had a great time.It was a pleasure being in that gathering even though the snow was falling but no-one cared.Today it is blazing sunshine and in 5 weeks the Winter will be a memory and we have The Daffodils/Primroses/Bluebells/Crocus's to look forward too!

Thursday I'm off to East Grinstead and beyond(40 mins from Bromley!) into the heart of the very green (and White!) English Countryside.....

Hi Tony,

I used to work for a chain of bookshops that had a branch on the Walworth Road - Words Worth Books - I did a couple of shifts over there... sadly they closed down quite a few years ago now, but it was a great little place!!

I agree - that part of London/Kent is pretty good, though Bromley itself has changed so much in the last few years. I just didn't feel safe there any more, and I felt that it's lost its soul somewhat. Or maybe that's just me getting old and grumpy!!

One of my best friends lives in Penge, a stone's throw from Crystal Palace Park, which is pretty awesome too...

I do miss the snow too - typical that the year I leave you guys have a proper winter for the first time in 20 years!! And ah, yes, Spring - I do love daffs and bluebells, and I miss the familiar birdsong... sigh!

Ah well, I still have my memories, and I'm loving Oz, so no regrets!! :smile:

Archived