Where to have a holiday?

VERYSTORMY

We are thinking about booking a short break after I got a nice letter from the tax man, but not sure where?

We travel a fair bit for my work and my wife and dog usually come with me, so we can rule out the Newcastle area, North Yorkshire coast, Manchester area.

Don't want to go as far south as London as we will probably just do a long weekend and don't want to spend a fortune and it must be doggy friendly.

Any ideas?

Oh, and yes it has to be in the UK as my wifes passport has expired and she cant be bothered getting a new one and we will probably look to go somewhere early September.

Isle of Skye is stunning and good time of year to visit(albeit the midgies), the drive from Glasgow is breathtaking once you get past Fort William, IMO some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world and I have seen some and it still blows my mind. Try to drive the West side of Loch Lomond for even more scenery.

• Like 1

Oh yes the Lake District is very nice. When we were in the UK for Christmas, we met up with some family friends of ours in the Lake District. They were from Scotland and we from the midlands, so kinda made sense to meet half way. We stayed in a Travelodge and did a bit of walking and eating, a very nice place indeed for a night or two away. With it being early New Year it was not too packed with tourists (which we were now lol) and the views were just fantastic. Well worth a trip.

8 hours ago, evets said:

Isle of Skye is stunning and good time of year to visit(albeit the midgies), the drive from Glasgow is breathtaking once you get past Fort William, IMO some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world and I have seen some and it still blows my mind. Try to drive the West side of Loch Lomond for even more scenery.

Yes, the Isle of Skye is lovely especially if you get decent weather and as you say don't mind the midges.

Portree on Skye

portree.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Skye is appealing, but had a look and prices are pretty high.

We already also spend a lot of time in the Highlands of Scotland. Below is one of my work areas - as I say, the wife and dog usually come with me to work.

But the Lake District looks like a good one. I will do some research on it today.

WP_20170215_003.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

We already also spend a lot of time in the Highlands of Scotland. Below is one of my work areas - as I say, the wife and dog usually come with me to work.

But the Lake District looks like a good one. I will do some research on it today.

WP_20170215_003.jpg

I worked in the Lake District for 3 years and it gets awfully busy in the summertime.  We used to be able to walk faster to Ambleside from where we lived than the cars stuck in a traffic jam.  Maybe one of the more remote areas would be better if you don't like crowds.

19 minutes ago, Toots said:

I worked in the Lake District for 3 years and it gets awfully busy in the summertime.  We used to be able to walk faster to Ambleside from where we lived than the cars stuck in a traffic jam.  Maybe one of the more remote areas would be better if you don't like crowds.

If you can go after the schools go back at the beginning of Sept it will be fine. I went at that time a couple of years ago and it was lovely

• Like 1

Toots, great picture, brings back so many memories from my childhood :)

VeryStormy, again awesome picture. Makes me realise just how beautiful parts of the UK are for such a small island. Nice you have such diversity in such close distance to you.

5 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

WP_20170215_003.jpg

What a stunning picture. What a great job you must have.