Taxes/PR - 457 Visa

Just now, A.Gordon said:

I have recently heard that you can claim back your taxes when you are working on a skilled temporary visa, Can anyone clarify if there's any truth in this statement??

Also due to the recent visa changes, Will I still be able to apply for PR after 4 years on a 457??

Thanks in advance

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

You can claim back your superannuation (well, most of it,) but not your taxes. 

3 hours ago, A.Gordon said:

I have recently heard that you can claim back your taxes when you are working on a skilled temporary visa, Can anyone clarify if there's any truth in this statement??

Also due to the recent visa changes, Will I still be able to apply for PR after 4 years on a 457??

Thanks in advance

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Are you currently on a 457? Which list is your profession on?

10 hours ago, A.Gordon said:

DIBP is apparently considering grandfathering the TRT arrangements for those who currently held a 457 already prior to the recent changes, but they haven't yet confirmed this.

I am on a 457 and will do my tax return end of month, I have a car allowance so get a fair chunk back, although even without this allowance and not having to pay the medicare levi I would get around $1500 back. with allowance I am hoping for $5000 fingers crossed 

• 1 month later...

My migration agent told me that it is not necessary to be on the 457 for 4 years before I apply for PR. She said that as long as I can prove that I have a minimum of 3 years work experience/education that is related specifically to my nominated occupation then I have a good chance of having my PR accepted.

Is this consistent with anyone else's experience? I too was under the impression that I had to be on a 457 for 4 years before PR was granted.

PR will not be granted after four years on 457 or after three years experience.  PR will be granted if you apply for it and are successful.  There is no automatic progression.

So ask your agent which PR visa she is referring to.  You can apply for PR as soon as you qualify for a PR visa.  Either independently for a 189 or 190 ( with state sponsorship) or with employer sponsorship for 186/187.

Have you looked at the visa information on www.border.gov.au to see what you might qualify for?