Aldi to sell alcohol in store

newjez

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/aldi-wine-named-one-of-the-best-in-the-world/news-story/18972ed8c4cfeba398ba694c2fb02909

I have to admit, first time I walked into a UK supermarket and saw all the alcohol on display, it blew my mind. (That and the huge variety of food that you would never have seen in Perth back then)

Roll on twenty years (WA - wait awhile) and there is outrage that they are selling alcohol in store in aldi?

Good idea, bad idea, will it catch on?

They've been selling alcohol in Victoria for years - and it's a really big seller for them because alcohol has such a big mark up everywhere else. Really surprised me when visiting QLD that they didn't sell it (had to go to BWS and pay twice the price).

For some states it is probably big news. You can't buy alcohol in supermarkets here in SA, bottle shops only. 

Not a bad thing in my book. 

19 minutes ago, Smiths said:

All Aldis sell alcohol as does just about every other shop.  I don't understand this post

You obviously don't live in South Australia as here the only shops that sell alcohol are bottle shops.  The Woolworths in the CBD has a BWS located in the store but it has it's own tills that you have to pay for anything in the BWS bit of the store at and you have to pay for your groceries at the Woolworths tills.  I haven't been in an Aldi here in SA but would be interested to know if they sell alcohol in them.

35 minutes ago, Smiths said:

All Aldis sell alcohol as does just about every other shop.  I don't understand this post

Not in WA (yet) and no supermarket apart from Aldi in Sydney does (or the ones I have been in), hence why they have the separrate shop - Liqourland or BWS.

Here in Qld Liquorland ((Coles) and BWS (Woolworths) bought up all the independent bottle shops. They didn't exist in their current name when I arrived 22 yrs ago. There was a move to sell alcohol other than in bottle shops but it was quashed by the pressure from the Christian lobby groups. It's not so long ago, less than 10 yrs, that you couldn't even access a bottle shop on  Sunday on Northside Brizzy and you could only buy alcohol through the drive ins and they didn't open till 10am and shut at 3pm

On ‎7‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:43, Petals said:

Come live in Victoria we do not have all these trading restrictions and never have had .

Try buying something on Good Friday. What's that all about? Even weirder the shops are open on Easter Sunday just like any other Sunday.

15 hours ago, Smiths said:

Sure did when I lived there in the 70's

Even today there are still some restrictions (I've already mentioned Good Friday). If you go to Aldi early on a Sunday you'll find that although the Store may open at 8:30am the Alcohol area is roped off because they can't sell alcohol before a certain time on a Sunday (forget what that time is though).

21 hours ago, unzippy said:

Blimey.  Is alcoholism such an issue in Aus?

Yes. Along with gambling. 

The sooner Aldi can sell booze in store here in QLD the sooner BWS and Liquorland will have to cut their prices! Great news if you ask me. 

• Like 1