What would you do differently?

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

Were you very surprised to find that there are lots of dogs living in Queensland ?

They must be able to cope in the heat.

I have a border collie by the way, and I presume your home has air conditioning >

What surprised me in queensland was the number of dogs ( the majority) that are left outside all day, no matter how hot it is. 

22 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

What surprised me in queensland was the number of dogs ( the majority) that are left outside all day, no matter how hot it is. 

I think that is the norm in most places here. Pretty much every Aus dog owner I know leaves their dog outside during day or when they are at work. Some live out 24/7 or only come in for a few hours in the evening. 

I find this seems to lead to a high number of lost/escaped dogs from back yards. Bored dogs tend to try to find a way out or get let out accidentally by the meter reader or some such. 

15 minutes ago, Parley said:

If they have access to water and shade they are fine.

My dog is an inside dog though and is always in with me.

Lots of breeds don't cope well in heat or humidity. A bit of shade and a bowl of water isn't enough. 

I find it rather sad to see so many breeds intended and bred for much colder climates and conditions stuck outside in a back yard in 35C with perhaps one walk to the dog park a day if they are lucky. 

11 minutes ago, snifter said:

Lots of breeds don't cope well in heat or humidity. A bit of shade and a bowl of water isn't enough. 

I find it rather sad to see so many breeds intended and bred for much colder climates and conditions stuck outside in a back yard in 35C with perhaps one walk to the dog park a day if they are lucky. 

Breed such as St Bernard, Newfoundland, Bernese Mountain just shouldn't be in hot climates.  They don't have a very long life span anyway but I would imagine the heat would shorten their life even further.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toots said:

Breed such as St Bernard, Newfoundland, Bernese Mountain just shouldn't be in hot climates.  They don't have a very long life span anyway but I would imagine the heat would shorten their life even further.

Agree with you there. There was a Newfoundland at the dog park the other day and it wasn't even 22C and the poor dog was struggling. 

Many of the cold climate breeds, some of the snub noses ones too, although if they are kept indoors and cared for they cope ok. But I know people with bulldogs who leave them out all day in even 40C without more than a kennel and a bowl of water in the yard. No dog is going to sit in a small wood kennel in 40C ?

I often see huskies pulling their owners along on little buggy things.  One young woman in Devonport has 4 of them and see them regularly.  They seem to really enjoy themselves.  Our hottest day in summer was 28C.  Average summer temp in Devonport is normally about 23C.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-14/sled-dog-racing-in-tasmania-boot-camp/7325640 

21 hours ago, Parley said:

Were you very surprised to find that there are lots of dogs living in Queensland ?

They must be able to cope in the heat.

I have a border collie by the way, and I presume your home has air conditioning >

Born in the environment is different to being forced into a different one. Ours was a border collie too and we did not have air con.

I see nobody came back on leaving their pets to a loving and caring home though!

We shipped virtually everything and would do so again. 

If I had of known I would have brought a jag diesel estate about five years old for a couple of grand, a year before we left, used it for that year and then shipped it out with us in a full container with all our household junk.

it would cost a fortune here to replace

On 5/14/2017 at 22:33, Keith and Linda said:

Born in the environment is different to being forced into a different one. Ours was a border collie too and we did not have air con.

I see nobody came back on leaving their pets to a loving and caring home though!

I just moved my two. I was concerned about the effects of the long flight on the older one but I doubt I would have found a loving home for her as she is old, deaf and occasionally grumpy. Plus I know she would have been badly affected by being separated from the other dog. I took the vets advice who said she would be fine and  fortunately she was. To be sure that you are leaving them in a loving home you need to know the recipients well and i suspect in many cases it just isn't an available option.

8 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I just moved my two. I was concerned about the effects of the long flight on the older one but I doubt I would have found a loving home for her as she is old, deaf and occasionally grumpy. Plus I know she would have been badly affected by being separated from the other dog. I took the vets advice who said she would be fine and  fortunately she was. To be sure that you are leaving them in a loving home you need to know the recipients well and i suspect in many cases it just isn't an available option.

This whole thing about knowing a pet is going to a loving /caring home is crap! surly those that say such are in effect saying that they themselves are not trusted to give a loving home either?

99% plus of people whom have or want pets want to give them a loving and caring home.

I note you say "fortunately" she was fine, so a bit of wishful hope there!

To the vast majority of people a loved pet is a member of the family.

They could no more leave it home and just replace with another one than they would leave a child home.

I suspect most people who leave them behind are really doing to to save the several thousand pounds in cost to move them.

But they won't admit to that of course.

I would initially agree with a number of the comments but after living in Melbourne for nearly 7 years and seeing the dogs that have been imported. I really feel sorry for a lot of them. They are just not designed for the climate, while there owners may love them they are suffering(I suspect).

Husky dogs look beautiful BUT are winter dogs and not breed for the hot summer's of Australia.

Humans seem to much more adaptable, suppose we can sweat it off.

As for leaving your loved pet at home, consider your loved pet in an environment that will shorten it's life and not be a great way to die. 

I fully understand pets are extended family, but in reality certain climates are not are positive introduction.

To add, since I have just relocated. The complex I am on, I see so many people with dogs only for them to take them out to the closet patch of grass to do Number 1's or 2's then take them back inside. SAD! Poor things getting no exercise.

8 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

This whole thing about knowing a pet is going to a loving /caring home is crap! surly those that say such are in effect saying that they themselves are not trusted to give a loving home either?

99% plus of people whom have or want pets want to give them a loving and caring home.

I note you say "fortunately" she was fine, so a bit of wishful hope there!

Absolutely a lot of wishful hope, she is part of the family. I  did what I thought was best based on the vets advice. I had another older dog who in the last year of his life developed a health condition that meant he could not make the long journey  so I delayed my return.

Not many people want old dogs and the hefty vet bills that inevitably come with them.

• Like 1