Dying of boredom

CrunchyPeanutButter

Dear all,

I'm new to Australia (though I've visited many times), having come here from London in November. I'm here with my long-term girlfriend (who has dual British-Aus nationality) and we're both working in decent jobs.

And ... after 3 months, I feel like I'm dying of boredom!

We're living in a very central eastern suburb of Sydney, so I feel like this is kind of as good as it gets.

For the record, I'm not a London Chauvinist - I don't believe it's better than everywhere else, or any of that nonsense - so I'm not interested in a detailed debate of London vs Sydney.

I'm just stunned at how dull Sydney is - and whether any other expats, from anywhere in the UK, also feel like this.

In fact, I spent a year in Norwich (at UEA) and I feel like there's more to do in Alan Partridge's home town (ah-haaa!) than there is in so-called 'happening' Sydney.

Yes, I'm clearly a whingeing Pom, but surely there's a lot to whinge about (right?)

Help!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear all,

I'm new to Australia (though I've visited many times), having come here from London in November. I'm here with my long-term girlfriend (who has dual British-Aus nationality) and we're both working in decent jobs.

And ... after 3 months, I feel like I'm dying of boredom!

We're living in a very central eastern suburb of Sydney, so I feel like this is kind of as good as it gets.

For the record, I'm not a London Chauvinist - I don't believe it's better than everywhere else, or any of that nonsense - so I'm not interested in a detailed debate of London vs Sydney.

I'm just stunned at how dull Sydney is - and whether any other expats, from anywhere in the UK, also feel like this.

In fact, I spent a year in Norwich (at UEA) and I feel like there's more to do in Alan Partridge's home town (ah-haaa!) than there is in so-called 'happening' Sydney.

Yes, I'm clearly a whingeing Pom, but surely there's a lot to whinge about (right?)

Help!

I quite enjoyed my time in Norwich.

Have you done any exploring? I don't necessarily mean tourist stuff, but more like seeing different suburbs, coastal walks, exhibitions etc? If you just stay in your suburb, yes it's going to get old pretty quickly.

I came from London, so I understand what you mean, but at the same time you need to research and make an effort. Find "your thing' if it exists here.

Have to say I find Sydney boring, too. Looks good but that is as far as it goes. Maybe the interesting things are all hidden? Melbourne doesn't look that good but it has so many things to do- and we are not all obsessed with money and appearances like the Sydneysiders.

Nothing like a good ol' broad brush generalisation on a Sunday afternoon!

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum. What do you like doing? I suppose if you were one to go to the pub every night with your mates back home then you may get bored. Although saying that I grew up in pubs in the U.K and got bored of that.

I have not lived in Sydney but spent nearly 12 months on and off there and loved every minute of it. We could never afford to live there.

Maybe you are just homesick and I think when we get like that we can't think of anything positive of where we live.

I could stick Sydney for about 3 consecutive days before getting bored so you've done well to manage 3 months!

I went for 7 days holiday from Perth (which is supposed to be really boring) after 3 days couldn't stand the place and had to pay a supplement to get an early flight back it was worth it wouldn't ever go again

At least you're not in rural NSW. I'm bored as hell, only my dog to talk to most of the time, I hate my job but I can't afford to move yet.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

How rural are you? I'm a couple of hours from the coast, NSW, and find that too far :dull:

Woop Woop, NSW :-)

It still astounds me how vast this place is. Could you move eventually?

I signed a year lease on my house so stuck here til around September. Gonna start looking for jobs by the coast in seventeen weeks, not that I'm counting ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I could stick Sydney for about 3 consecutive days before getting bored so you've done well to manage 3 months!

Couldn't possibly comment about Sydney being boring ..

But in comparison to London ,most of the cities I have ever been to are boring

Excluding Paris and new York

I was in London yesterday ...love/ hate for me .

Its great being somewhere that really matters

But I couldn't live there ....too many people ...too many immigrants ,you struggle to find a cockney now ,never mind an Englishman .....always a pleasure to get back to Solihull

Great to have it on the doorstep though ...4 of us on the train yesterday ...train and all day tube £500

Couldn't possibly comment about Sydney being boring ..

But in comparison to London ,most of the cities I have ever been to are boring

Excluding Paris and new York

I was in London yesterday ...love/ hate for me .

Its great being somewhere that really matters

But I couldn't live there ....too many people ...too many immigrants ,you struggle to find a cockney now ,never mind an Englishman .....always a pleasure to get back to Solihull

Great to have it on the doorstep though ...4 of us on the train yesterday ...train and all day tube £500

Sorry that should tea £50..oops