Is this normal?

ukclarkes

Hi ??, we are so close to emergrating to Tamworth NSW. I couldn't wait but now we are so close my head is doing circles.

Should i move? Will I like it? Should I just stay here my life is good here? Am leaving my family, taking the kids away from their grandparents! Will I make friends? Will I ever have friends like I do here? And so much more, But then am all like (in my own head) Yes I can do this, it will be hard but worth it! We will have a better life! Ect and I can't wait to go.

Driving me crazy ?

Thank You in advance if anyone replays x

Totally normal and doesn't mean anything.

Of course for some people with hindsight those thoughts are warning signs they shouldn't go, but for most it's just understandable nerves.

All you can really do is totally examine your motives for going, critically are you both equally committed to go - it's really not a good idea if one is moving to please the other. This is so important with children as if one of you likes it and the other doesn't it can lead to very difficult circumstances. Do make sure you are familiar with the Hague Convention and, if you have not already, have the conversation now about what happens if one of you wants to return to the UK (in my mind if either partner doesn't settle then you should return to the UK but that's for each couple to decide)

Don't focus on the 'foreverness' of going - if moving to Australia is the best thing for you as a family now then go, it doesn't mean it will always be the best place to live and nothing stops you moving back if that's the right thing in the future.

What makes you think it will be better? And as GBGS asked - why Tamworth???

Lady R has already asked the pertinent questions and referred you to the Hague Convention - most important piece of reading for any potential migrant.

Nothing has to be forever - you are under absolutely zero obligation to "settle" in Australia. If you move and you like it then you win, if you don't like it then you can move on. If you believe that you HAVE to stay in Australia until you are pushing up daisies then you are likely to fall apart. Do it because you want to, because you have an offer you cannot refuse or you want an adventure but not because you are being pushed into it by someone else's urge for adventure or you think that Australia is like Home and Away and koalas frolic in every park.

Your kids will miss their extended family for sure - that's one thing my boys both, now adult, have regretted about our independent lives in Australia. But you can take them back on holidays (do not expect anyone to come and see you, why should they?) if you can save up your pennies and your holiday entitlements.

Tamworth is a nice country town, but what is it about Tamworth that makes it a better life for you?

Are you used to rural living? Do you understand it is different to the UK?

If you have fallen in love with Tamworth, then excellent. Good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Yes, I think it's pretty normal, to be honest. I remember feeling like that before we moved over. As LR says, don't focus on the 'permanentness' of it. Nothing has to be forever, and if you find it suits stay, if not then move on somewhere else. We came over with the attitude that we'd try it and see. It was a great opportunity, and we have been really happy here. However, now it is time for us to move on again for various reasons. We're moving back in the opposite direction and are having just as many 'should we, what if...' moments, despite it being the country we are from and being absolutely sure that it is what we want/the best thing to do.

Sit down and talk about the what if's and make sure you are on the same page, because if you aren't and one of you doesn't settle you might run into trouble.

you are making a big move so its normal to feel unsettled as the time gets closer. most people seem to get a bit nervous. it would be more of a worry if you didnt get a bit nervous i think.

congrats on picking such a lovely place to move to. my husbands cousin lives there & he is always saying how much he likes it. although its a country town its a regional hub & has lots & lots going on & has a lovely community feel. my husband cousin says it has all the benefits of a city but without the problems. we went to visit last year just after the big country music festival they do every year. it sounded fab & i was sorry we missed it. good luck with your move & enjoy your new life :)

The reason why ukclarkes decided on Tamworth...

Well......... To cut a long story short, when we first decided to emigrate to Oz we choose Perth flew out there for two months and loved it. So we started our visa process all was great until we hit the ENGLISH TEST!!! My husband is rather bright but he could not pass the English he kept on failing by half marks and it just became to much pressure. So we thought Oz was over, but our migration agent explained we did have other choices. So again back to the drawing board research research research as this time we were going for state nomination and Perth was no longer an option, so we choose Northan Inland NSW. We were going to plan another trip to Oz but we are sick of wasting money.

I know NSW is some what different to Perth.

But we can only try and if it works it works if it doesn't then so be it, but least we will know.

Thank You for all these comments.

I can't wait to hear back from the visa office. The only thing am dreading if we do get our visas is the plane journey! What a difference in time of journey and price. And also not been able to have a propa English cup of tea. X

Personally, I say go for it and wish you well in all your endeavours.

Cheers, Bobj.

You will be fine re the tea. As has been said Coles and Woolies both sell some of the big brands. I didn't used to drink those brands in the UK (I'm an EGT person) and I've found a really good loose EGT here that I prefer over the one I used to drink in the UK. Win for me :cute:

Don't know Tamworth but hope that as your starting point in your life in Aus it works well for you. I get why you are going more regional to make the move and hope that for as long as you need it Tamworth works for you. Its got a decent sized population, nearly 20,000 more the second largest 'city' here in South Aus even! Its not a massive drive (by Aus standards) to Sydney or Newcastle if you want a city fix for whatever reason so you've options for weekends away or even a day to Newcastle starting out early :) And NSW is more populated so people and towns in between. Here in SA its a very lonely 5 hour plus drive to the second largest city (I didn't indicate for over 3 hours during the drive :confused:) and its sparsely populated in between. And looking at the map its a few hours to the coast from Tamworth so you can also have some mini breaks along the coast if you wanted.

I know someone (well, a family) who moved once their regional time was up and who love the new part of Aus they moved to. They enjoyed their regional time but always planned to move elsewhere once the time was up.

Good luck with it all :)

Archived