Is it reckless to go?

Jools1973

No its not really. Some nationalities appear to have more people displaying it. It comes from within, environment, combined with culture but doesn't necessary need to be the domain of any particular age or even class.

................not from within IMO....

................nurture rather than nature......

................and best if we just agree to disagree flag....

.................taking the thread off topic to continue....

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pursuits more commonly preferred in Australia. Appearance over style?

Pardon me for being a bit dense but I still don't get what you mean.

What exactly do Australians do in their shallow pursuits.

I really don't think they are greatly different to any 'pursuits' in other countries. There are shallow, poncy people everywhere. I keep a good distance away from them.

A few posts have been removed to tidy the last page or so up, back on track and discuss the topic please.

Cal x

Not sure why you removed the posts, not offensive and would have benefited others, unless you are going to create a sticky which highlights why some people use certain formats which are are not used commonly around other internet forums.

I think you have been a little to harsh/rash in your moderation.

With some power, comes some responsibility!

The topic was being discussed, although of track for a bit but certainly added value. Did you want me to start a new post?

Not sure why you removed the posts, not offensive and would have benefited others, unless you are going to create a sticky which highlights why some people use certain formats which are are not used commonly around other internet forums.

The topic was being discussed, although of track for a bit but certainly added value. Did you want me to start a new post?

Im not going to argue ,but they were removed as a members personal business is just that - personal. Should you have a genuine concern or question you can always send the member a Private Message.

Cal x

..........doesn't upset me evets.....so don't worry....

..........I've been on here since 2007

..........a few find my posting style difficult.....

..........some find those who can't spell or use grammar correctly.....difficult....

...........we either persevere.....or ignore the posts....

............thankyou for your kind words....

............but please would @calNgary delete the posts referring to this....

...........done and dusted.....

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have been in Melbourne for 9 years, both work full time and rent close to the City. Sadly & strangely even after all this time we still don't feel 'at home' and struggle to find much we relish here. This is not through lack of trying. We go out a fair bit as we are childless, visit any exhibitions that come to town and take trips out into the countryside/down the beach but something is lacking. I can only describe it as an underlying emptiness or a slightly panicky feeling of somehow wasting my life being in the wrong place and not fitting in.

To be honest I would have gone back after a year but we had dogs (only one elderly boy of 16 left now) and we didn't want to put them through another long haul flight as they seemed to find the trip over and quarantine etc quite traumatic. Also, we thought we should give it a good go after making such a big and expensive move.

It's been a decade of ups and downs with job & financial issues and a couple of serious health scares in the mix (something that brought home life is short & should we really be living it in a place we don't like). Plus we've only been able to make it back to visit family and old friends twice which hasn't helped.

Anyway we are looking at heading home to UK in about 18 months and I am totally overjoyed at the thought. However, at the same time being a natural born worrier I am anxious about leaving well paid, secure jobs here. Looking online it seems I will probably earn at least a third less than I do now. We are not Spring chickens either being in our forties (althougb we are quite well preserved/pickled :laugh:) so am a bit concerned this might work against us. If i was a decade younger I wouldn't think twice.

I guess I'm looking for some validation. Are we doing the right thing taking the plunge and heading back to where we feel we belong but where we have no financial guarantees, after all nothing ventured nothing gained. Or at our age should we be 'sensible' and stay slightly unhappy but financially secure for the unforseeable future??

Thanks for any input!

..............there are lots of things in life that either do or don't work out.....

..............but if you don't try you'll never know......

...............if you feel you will be happier returning......I would say do it....

................sometimes it's better to just have less and be content....

.................to feel secure in belonging......an important part of happiness....

..................I've moved continually...........some worked some didn't.....

.....................but I'm not left wondering......

......................and how old is too old...?

.......................my uncle returned in his 80's....

........................didn't work out so he came back.....

.........................but he said he wanted to find out for himself.....

..........................good luck ...Xxx

Guest The Pom Queen

Maybe you also need to read the forum rules about a moderators decision is final and if you have any issues to pm the moderator direct. You could have also messaged Tink and asked her rather than her having to explain her personal health with thousands of other members.

You think Cal was harsh, I think she let you off lightly after your response about power.

Guest The Pom Queen
..........doesn't upset me evets.....so don't worry....

..........I've been on here since 2007

..........a few find my posting style difficult.....

..........some find those who can't spell or use grammar correctly.....difficult....

...........we either persevere.....or ignore the posts....

............thankyou for your kind words....

............but please would @calNgary delete the posts referring to this....

...........done and dusted.....

Hey you can talk double Dutch if you want we will still love you, but please don't talk Scottish I can't tell a word SS says lol.

Hey you can talk double Dutch if you want we will still love you, but please don't talk Scottish I can't tell a word SS says lol.

..........lol........that would cause some confusion!

..........loved Stacey's accent.....and I kept thinking

...........of that iron bru advert from years ago

...........and my mother keep asking....what did they say lol.

............don't tell her!

............a lovely girl was a privalage to meet her

Even I don't always understand her :)

Pardon me for being a bit dense but I still don't get what you mean.

What exactly do Australians do in their shallow pursuits.

I really don't think they are greatly different to any 'pursuits' in other countries. There are shallow, poncy people everywhere. I keep a good distance away from them.

If you don't get it fine. Yes the narrative is certainly different over here . Far fewer discuss the arts, currant affairs, politics or worldly things in general.

If you don't get it fine. Yes the narrative is certainly different over here . Far fewer discuss the arts, currant affairs, politics or worldly things in general.

Perhaps you don't mix with the right people, most of the people we know have travelled widely, come from different backgrounds and countries, and enjoy discussion. The U3A group has a great discussion group with wide ranging topics.

We have been to more art exhibitions here than we ever considered going to in UK, and I am not at all arty just interested to go.

The last one was the Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and visitors were queueing out of the door day after day.

We were at a friends 80th birthday party on Saturday, it was in a small country village hall, a ukulele group playing, apart from us all Australians, and most with a country background, all had had a variety of careers, still warm friendly country folk at heart, but among others chats we were asked over and over again what did we think about brexit.

I know I have written before that I enjoy hearing about people's lives and life stories, perhaps exaggerated at times, but so different and interesting. It can be an eye opener what some people have endured, from being interned in Jakarta as an 11 year old girl for 4 years, to others growing up in various countries around the world.

Edited by ramot

You must mix with the wrong folk as Ramot just said. We have lots of lively discussion down here. Different points of view always makes it more interesting.

Perhaps you don't mix with the right people, most of the people we know have travelled widely, come from different backgrounds and countries, and enjoy discussion. The U3A group has a great discussion group with wide ranging topics.

We have been to more art exhibitions here than we ever considered going to in UK, and I am not at all arty just interested to go.

The last one was the Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera and visitors were queueing out of the door day after day.

We were at a friends 80th birthday party on Saturday, it was in a small country village hall, a ukulele group playing, apart from us all Australians, and most with a country background, all had had a variety of careers, still warm friendly country folk at heart, but among others chats we were asked over and over again what did we think about brexit.

I know I have written before that I enjoy hearing about people's lives and life stories, perhaps exaggerated at times, but so different and interesting. It can be an eye opener what some people have endured, from being interned in Jakarta as an 11 year old girl for 4 years, to others growing up in various countries around the world.

It is very pleasurable to be in a position I'm sure, with a similar minded peer group. I'm glad you've found contentment in your part of Australia, but makes my observation, no less valid. Although not the same as good taste of course, interesting people often omit something similarly akin.

I've mentioned in a few posts that we've always found it very materialistic and shallow here. But I'd caveat that by saying 90% of it comes from other Poms we've been forced to endure.

Go to a party full of Poms and you'll see the cliques in full flow.

I hate to say it but I found that too. This was way back in the early 80's and I was amazed how many folk from the UK lived in Perth. At that time they seemed to not mix with the born and bred Aussies. Almost every social occasion we were invited to - it was wall to wall Poms yapping on about their house, the kids' private school yadda yadda yadda. We just started turning down the invites.

I've mentioned in a few posts that we've always found it very materialistic and shallow here. But I'd caveat that by saying 90% of it comes from other Poms we've been forced to endure.

Go to a party full of Poms and you'll see the cliques in full flow.

I don't mix much with Perth Poms, possibly why. Saying that it is not confined to Poms alone. Even African communities complain about the completion (those aware of it) in having the latest and most expensive commodities. It is my nature a place of things over reflection to what is important in life.

Aussies have become very materially inclined over the decades. Go to most parties here and listen to the tone.

It is very pleasurable to be in a position I'm sure, with a similar minded peer group. I'm glad you've found contentment in your part of Australia, but makes my observation, no less valid. Although not the same as good taste of course, interesting people often omit something similarly akin.

Och you're just a snob Flag. :tongue: Loosen up a bit.

I hate to say it but I found that too. This was way back in the early 80's and I was amazed how many folk from the UK lived in Perth. At that time they seemed to not mix with the born and bred Aussies. Almost every social occasion we were invited to - it was wall to wall Poms yapping on about their house, the kids' private school yadda yadda yadda. We just started turning down the invites.

I'd say reflects background. Poms, especially in those days, when OZ was cheap, couldn't believe their 'luck' to what they could get with ease over here compared to their dank lives in UK.