Anyone moved back to UK without obtaining citizenship

CowlingAFC

I read a lot of people getting citizenship for their children in case they want to come back at a further date. I guess it depends if you see yourself having any future here or have family you need to visit - citizenship makes it easier. If you hate the place and will never come back - don't see the point of wasting the time or money.

I'm a belt and braces kinda gal and I feel much more comfortable if I know my pants won't fall down - if you have the freedom to know that you CAN move if you choose, IMHO it makes it much easier to live with the "now". My guess is that you're much more likely to engage in the "what ifs" if one of your choices is taken away (you cannot return to Australia). It's not that expensive an option if it gives you more options in life. Even if it's going to take you a couple of years, what is that in a long lifetime but a blip - 2 weeks ago we celebrated our 5th anniversary of being in UK! Seems like only yesterday - time really will fly!

Certainly don't "hate the place" as someone commented above. Circumstances has made my dream move turn sour, but in years to come it could become my "dream move" once more.

I like the term "belts and braces" ;)

Also I have just been toldon another post that the touriust visa counts towards the 4 year timescale for citizenship application Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

thanks

I was one of 12 friends who all moved to oz about the same time. All have now left with only myself and one other taking citizenship. None regret their choice and personally if I had made the decision to leave before I took it I probably wouldn't have bothered. I can't see me ever going back even for a holiday - far too many other places in the world to see - so it is rather pointless.

Certainly don't "hate the place" as someone commented above. Circumstances has made my dream move turn sour, but in years to come it could become my "dream move" once more.

I like the term "belts and braces" ;)

Also I have just been toldon another post that the touriust visa counts towards the 4 year timescale for citizenship application Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

thanks

Confirmed

I know a few people who have moved back without waiting to become citizens.

I do agree with Quoll though as some of the folk who moved back have children who were born here and the grown up children have returned to Australia to work. If they decide to stay here their parents will probably just come on holiday visas to visit. It's entirely up to you whether or not you want citizenship.

I do agree with Quoll though as some of the folk who moved back have children who were born here and the grown up children have returned to Australia to work. If they decide to stay here their parents will probably just come on holiday visas to visit..

I know that happens but I think the parents who take that attitude is incredibly short-sighted. It's fine if all goes well - but things do go wrong in life. What if their son moves to Australia, and has a child who's disabled and needs 24 hour care? Or a daughter develops a chronic illness and needs support to care for her family. What are they going to say, "sorry lass, I can only pop over to help you for a few months every year, the rest of the year you'll have to manage yourself because I was too proud to get citizenship when I had the chance"?

God forbid any scenario like that should happen, but life is not perfect.

Personally, we thought about this and came to the decision that if we didn't get the passport, the last 5 - 10 years effort would of been for nothing. If we went back without the passport yes, we would of had a few years out in Australia, but that would of been it. Without the passport, due to our age, we would not be able to come back to Oz as anything more that a tourist.

We thought that is we have gone through all of the effort, saving, heartache and trouble, it best to hold out another year or two and that way the kids have the option to come back to Australia if they want in the future. Also if we decide that the UK is not for us, we can become ping pong poms:huh:. Either way, with the passport you have the option. If we tried to come back out (in say ten years) we would not be able to get far due to age, but with our own passports there will not be an issue.

Personally, we thought about this and came to the decision that if we didn't get the passport, the last 5 - 10 years effort would of been for nothing. If we went back without the passport yes, we would of had a few years out in Australia, but that would of been it. Without the passport, due to our age, we would not be able to come back to Oz as anything more that a tourist.

Exactly - and actually, I have a feeling that would apply to anyone regardless of age. It may have changed, but at one time, you only got one bite of the cherry (i.e. if you migrated, then left and let the visa lapse, you couldn't just apply for a whole new visa again later on). Even if that's not the case now, who knows when it might change again?