Family of 4, do we take the plunge?

NicoleWalt

It must be a Melbourne thing then!

Barefoot shopping year-round, even in a Melbourne Winter; adults in PJ's at any time of the day wandering around the supermarket; shoppers in swimming costumes; shoppers in onesie's; saw a middle-aged guy a few weeks ago wandering round wearing only a small pair of shorts! Nothing else!

I've never encountered any jostling in a supermarket. They are often smaller than UK supermarkets but they are located everywhere (every suburb, every major road junction, every shopping centre), so it's not like they are particularly busy with shoppers in my experience 'cos there's just so much choice; certainly not as busy as the huge Tesco or Asda superkarkets in the UK.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet to see anyone in PJs (here or in the UK) at a supermarket but barefoot is pretty common. In fact I am amazed at how little most of the locals wear in winter here. I have been long trousers and jeans since June and as often as not a sweatshirt, fleece or jumper (except when out in the middle of the day when it is warm).

I might pop in to my local IGA in the evening wearing jumper, jeans, trainers and the locals are in shorts, vest and thongs (or even barefoot). Even in summer I find a jumper in the supermarket is obligatory as the aircon in there is fierce. No wonder many locals question how I cope with the heat of summer; I suspect they find it far tougher than I do.

Gross- what a fat bum, should be covered up. Never seen anyone shopping in PJs or barefoot here ( Eastern subs of Melbourne) and yes, they are polite round here unlike SE London ( thinking Lee, Bromley, Lewisham, Croydon areas) where they are unspeakably rude even in 'nice' shops like Waitrose. And don't get me started on the shop 'assistants'.

not sure why people try to pretend no one goes out in pyjamas in the uk

[attach=config]34061[/attach]

[attach=config]34062[/attach]

ahhhhh this made the news a while back and was in the papers because people found it so odd. Would it make the papers in australia?

ahhhhh this made the news a while back and was in the papers because people found it so odd. Would it make the papers in australia?

What, that people wore their PJ's to the shops in the UK?

What, that people wore their PJ's to the shops in the UK?

yes, this women was doing it all the time.

They read: "To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)."

YOUR VIEWS

EdgeOfReason, St Albans, UK

The spokesman said: "We're not a nightclub with a strict dress code, and jeans and trainers are of course more than welcome.

"We do, however, request that customers do not shop in their PJs or nightgowns. "This is to avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others.

It must be a Melbourne thing then!

Barefoot shopping year-round, even in a Melbourne Winter; adults in PJ's at any time of the day wandering around the supermarket; shoppers in swimming costumes; shoppers in onesie's; saw a middle-aged guy a few weeks ago wandering round wearing only a small pair of shorts! Nothing else!

I've never encountered any jostling in a supermarket. They are often smaller than UK supermarkets but they are located everywhere (every suburb, every major road junction, every shopping centre), so it's not like they are particularly busy with shoppers in my experience 'cos there's just so much choice; certainly not as busy as the huge Tesco or Asda superkarkets in the UK.

Just went to get takeaway. There was a little toddler (with a chesty cough) running around on the dirty and cold tiled floor with bare feet, Mum had bare feet and Dad had his slippers on - they also all had PJ's on. Cold night in Perth tonight.

Archived