Visa and passport help for a mixed Aussie/English family please!

junellew

Family of "ping pongers" here going back to Australia for a holiday in November after 2years back in UK. Previous to this we were in Australia for 4 years. Kids are dual citizens and I was a permanent resident.

i didn't get a "right to return visa" when I left so wondering if it's ok if I enter on a holiday visa and if this will cause me any problems? (We have return flights booked).

Also my 2 eldest boys Australian passports have expired so wondering if they will have problems just entering on their English ones or if we are going to look like we are trying to "break back in" to Australia?!

Could do do without expense of re-needing the boys passports right now but will if we have too. More worried about my entry and exit as don't want to stuff up being allowed to return in future!

Thanks for your help in advance ?

If you are legitimately going for a holiday of short duration and have return airfares to prove it, then it will be fine for you.

You will have to renew the Australian passports.

Australian citizens must enter and exit Australia with an Australian passport.

They can not be issued with a visa.

I agree with the previous two posters. You don't need to get the residents return visa as you leave Australia, you can get it now. I cannot imagine that it would be any problem whatsoever as you have Australian children. Getting a tourist visa might mean having to start the spouse visa process again later if you decide to return to live.

Family of "ping pongers" here going back to Australia for a holiday in November after 2years back in UK. Previous to this we were in Australia for 4 years. Kids are dual citizens and I was a permanent resident.

i didn't get a "right to return visa" when I left so wondering if it's ok if I enter on a holiday visa and if this will cause me any problems? (We have return flights booked).

Also my 2 eldest boys Australian passports have expired so wondering if they will have problems just entering on their English ones or if we are going to look like we are trying to "break back in" to Australia?!

Could do do without expense of re-needing the boys passports right now but will if we have too. More worried about my entry and exit as don't want to stuff up being allowed to return in future!

Thanks for your help in advance 

You would get pulled with your boys travelling on a UK passport and no RRV in it at check in

We were checking in one time and I handed over my UK passport - had travelled out of Oz on my Aussie one nd in to UK on UK one - lass said straight away Oh you can't fly ! I then realised I needed to give her the Aussie passport gets very confusing

Not if she has any other sort of visa such a visitor visa. These are electronic.

I don't think you can even book the flight without the visa being in place.

I mean for the children they really need to travel on thier Australian passports as I don't think they would get a visa on a UK passport

That is correct. Australian citizens can't be issued a visa.

I'm assuming that immigration would know somehow that they are Australian citizens if they tried using UK passports and a tourist visa.

They might get away with it I suppose.

That is correct. Australian citizens can't be issued a visa.

I'm assuming that immigration would know somehow that they are Australian citizens if they tried using UK passports and a tourist visa.

They might get away with it I suppose.

The system should identify them as Australian and refuse to issue them visas at all. They need Ozzie passports.

Not if she has any other sort of visa such a visitor visa. These are electronic.

I don't think you can even book the flight without the visa being in place.

All visas are electronic now. If she gets a tourist visa she risks cancelling out her PR as a person can only hold one visa at a time.

Perfectly possible to book fights without visas. You just need that - or a passport - to board the flight.

All visas are electronic now. If she gets a tourist visa she risks cancelling out her PR as a person can only hold one visa at a time.

As far as I know I don't have a "visa" any more. I wet over on a spouse visa which "runs out" after a certain period of time. I was just there as a permanent resident and awaiting my 4 years for citizenship but we left before I had time to apply (kicking myself now as I have to start again when we move back).

I wasn't going to bother with a right to return as when I looked into it you have to stay in the country for a certain amount of time to be issued with another one and this won't be happening. It will run out before we move back eventually (plan is 2.5 more years in UK).

When I spoke to immigration before we left they said that when we want to return I will have to go through a process where I have to prove my links to the country to be able to get back in. They don't issue spouse visas twice. I'm hoping 3 aussie children, a husband and a mortgage there should do it.

I suppose I best call them again and see what's the best thing to do.

I'll definitely get the boys passports done then if that's the case that they can't get a holiday visa! Going to be an expensive trip!

Thanks for all the advice

One more question.....is the only way to get the boys passports by lodging them in London???? We live on an Island off teh Noth West Coast of Scotland - it's going to be a huge mission. I thought there used to be an embassy in Edinburgh?

As far as I know I don't have a "visa" any more. I wet over on a spouse visa which "runs out" after a certain period of time. I was just there as a permanent resident and awaiting my 4 years for citizenship but we left before I had time to apply (kicking myself now as I have to start again when we move back).

I wasn't going to bother with a right to return as when I looked into it you have to stay in the country for a certain amount of time to be issued with another one and this won't be happening. It will run out before we move back eventually (plan is 2.5 more years in UK).

When I spoke to immigration before we left they said that when we want to return I will have to go through a process where I have to prove my links to the country to be able to get back in. They don't issue spouse visas twice. I'm hoping 3 aussie children, a husband and a mortgage there should do it.

I'll definitely get the boys passports done then if that's the case that they can't get a holiday visa! Going to be an expensive trip!

Yorspouse visa does not run out. You are still a permanent resident. However the TRAVEL portion expires after 5 years, which is why you need a RRV to get back to Australia. The RRV adds the travel permission to your existing spouse visa.

If you apply for and are granted a tourist visa this may well cancel out your spouse visa and will mean there is no point in thinking RRV as there is no PR visa to attach it to.

You would then be back to square one, no PR spouse visa,need to start from scratch to get a new one by applying all over again, with the new higher fees.

Apply for a RRV now.

You still have your spouse visa, it is permanent. It just won't allow travel right now and you need the residents return visa for that. This is the visa where you will have to prove links and yes husband and children will do that very easily.

There really is no need to ring immigration and ask about this, you have already received what sounds like accurate guidance and has been confirmed by various people on here too. Your situation is very straightforward and has been seen on here hundreds and hundreds of times. Just apply for the residents return visa.

You still have your spouse visa, it is permanent. It just won't allow travel right now and you need the residents return visa for that. This is the visa where you will have to prove links and yes husband and children will do that very easily.

There really is no need to ring immigration and ask about this, you have already received what sounds like accurate guidance and has been confirmed by various people on here too. Your situation is very straightforward and has been seen on here hundreds and hundreds of times. Just apply for the residents return visa.

What Bungo says is absolutely right. Don't risk your PR by applying for a tourist visa, just get on and apply for your RRV.

It's always best to ignore what Immigration says on the phone because you're just talking to a clerk in a call centre, not an expert. You'd be amazed how many people we've had on these forums who trusted what they said and came unstuck.

What Bungo says is absolutely right. Don't risk your PR by applying for a tourist visa, just get on and apply for your RRV.

It's always best to ignore what Immigration says on the phone because you're just talking to a clerk in a call centre, not an expert. You'd be amazed how many people we've had on these forums who trusted what they said and came unstuck.

Great thanks for all the confirmed info. I'll get on to my right to return now. I also don't trust immigration much so glad you guys have my back!!

Off topic but ....... if I'm a permanent resident still in their eyes would I have to start the 4 years again for citizenship when we return or will it still be accumulating?

Finally did anyone know about having to go to London for passports or is there closer? Same as the lady above when we renewed our British ones in Australia they were just posted out......

Thanks again

Great thanks for all the confirmed info. I'll get on to my right to return now. I also don't trust immigration much so glad you guys have my back!!

Off topic but ....... if I'm a permanent resident still in their eyes would I have to start the 4 years again for citizenship when we return or will it still be accumulating?

Finally did anyone know about having to go to London for passports or is there closer? Same as the lady above when we renewed our British ones in Australia they were just posted out......

Thanks again

Just fyi, it is called the "residents return visa" commonly shortened to RRV. Not the "right to return" visa.

Regarding citizenship at the point of application, you need to look back over the previous four years and you need to have been in Australia for three of those four years at least. So say, you move back tomorrow and don't leave at all, then in three years you would look back and you will be able to say you have been in Australia for three of the last four years and hence you are eligible.

Archived