Going back to the U.K am I entitled to benefits ?

Zoetheg8

My 4 year old daughter has been diagnosed with a brain tumour - it's Cancer. Medulloblastoma.

when the hospital removed her tumour they left her with a condition called cerebella mutism.

she can't (couldn't) walk, speak, eat, move or even swallow! Although now she is improving slightly, it's so so hard to deal with, especially as my only family (support) is my sister in the U.K.

My daughter has been through 6 weeks of radiotherapy and is now to endure months and months of chemo.

she will reuire life long cre and extensive rehabilitation.

so, cut a long story short I was thinking of moving back to the u.k. We have 4 children in total and feel that this would be best for them all. Being with family.

our main question is are we eligible for benefits? Carer or disability? Housing? Anything?

How is it possible to find this out from Perth?

So sorry to read about your daughter’s health problems, it must be a very difficult time for you all and I hope you receive the care and support you need, be that in Aus or back in the UK. If you do decide to MBTTUK you should be aware of the 'habitual residence test' as it can be applied to UK residents returning from abroad and may lead to a delay in the payment of any benefits. This Citizens Advice link provides a bit more information, T x

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/the-habitual-residence-test-an-introduction/

So sorry to hear what you and your daughter are going through, I can only imagine what it must be like. To answer your question yes as a British citizen to you are entitled to all benefits.

Having just spent time in a hospital, they are full of signs that say the NHS isn't free just because you are British . If you have been out of the country for an extended period, you may need to pay. Worth checking first.

So sorry to hear what you and your daughter are going through, I can only imagine what it must be like. To answer your question yes as a British citizen to you are entitled to all benefits.

That is not correct.

If you have not worked in the U.K for more than two years you cannot claim carers allowance.

As you will not have EMPLOYERS NI contributions for the previous two tax years.

But there may be other benefits you may be able to claim.

Guest Priscilla101

Is your daughter a British citizen?? If she has Australian passport then she may not be entitled to free NHS care. As it is a pre existing condition she may not be granted a visa (if she needs one) as it will be a strain on the NHS

The demands on her body for a 26+ hour flights will be horrendous. Does she need medical support to travel that far? If you are going to do this, time it right between her chemo cycles so that she's not sick. Plus you'll have to talk to a cancer centre in uk to make sure they can continue the care. Is there one near where you want to go to? Most have closed smaller units and opened elite places but few and far between. Lots of countries have different rules on treatment. U.K. Use nice guidelines. Not sure about Oz but they may want to change management, is this right for her? Also consider the bonds your daughter has with her current medical team. Removing her and taking her somewhere strange and have strangers do things in a different way can be unsettling for kids especially at this time.

i know I'm coming off as negative but moving to a different country is a mental time without the added upset of chemo and radiation and medical interventions.

That is not correct.

If you have not worked in the U.K for more than two years you cannot claim carers allowance.

As you will not have EMPLOYERS NI contributions for the previous two tax years.

But there may be other benefits you may be able to claim.

Absolutely spot on , being a British citizen does not entitle you to all benefits.

Is your daughter a British citizen?? If she has Australian passport then she may not be entitled to free NHS care. As it is a pre existing condition she may not be granted a visa (if she needs one) as it will be a strain on the NHS

The demands on her body for a 26+ hour flights will be horrendous. Does she need medical support to travel that far? If you are going to do this, time it right between her chemo cycles so that she's not sick. Plus you'll have to talk to a cancer centre in uk to make sure they can continue the care. Is there one near where you want to go to? Most have closed smaller units and opened elite places but few and far between. Lots of countries have different rules on treatment. U.K. Use nice guidelines. Not sure about Oz but they may want to change management, is this right for her? Also consider the bonds your daughter has with her current medical team. Removing her and taking her somewhere strange and have strangers do things in a different way can be unsettling for kids especially at this time.

i know I'm coming off as negative but moving to a different country is a mental time without the added upset of chemo and radiation and medical interventions.

Citizenship has no bearing on access to the NHS, residency does, if she is legally resident in the UK then she will be entitled to treatment on the NHS.

Having just spent time in a hospital, they are full of signs that say the NHS isn't free just because you are British . If you have been out of the country for an extended period, you may need to pay. Worth checking first.

You do not need to pay for any hospital treatment as a British citizen. I'm not really sure what you are referring to.

She would automatically be a British citizen because of her parents being British, exactly as it was with our children.

You do not need to pay for any hospital treatment as a British citizen. I'm not really sure what you are referring to.

We are British citizens and we would have to pay. We haven't lived in UK for over 23 years, we are in Oz on a long term self funded temporary retirement visa. We aren't entitled to Medicare so have no recipricol with the NHS.

If we returned to UK, cut all our ties with Oz and proved habitual residence, then we would be entitled to the NHS again. So just because you are a British citizen you aren't automatically entitled to the NHS.

Except you do until you can prove that you are resident. Google it. You may get away with emergency if you are resident with a reciprocal arrangement.

I think you are (deliberately ) twisting what I am saying, if the OP is returning to the UK then they will be eligible for NHS treatment exactly as we were when we returned after 12 years. These scenarios don't apply to the OP.

After they can prove residence, which could take six months.

Except you do until you can prove that you are resident. Google it. You may get away with emergency if you are resident with a reciprocal arrangement.

So you have to prove you are a resident, wow. That's just common sense. We didn't actually have to do anything to prove residency when we arrived.

I think you are (deliberately ) twisting what I am saying, if the OP is returning to the UK then they will be eligible for NHS treatment exactly as we were when we returned after 12 years. These scenarios don't apply to the OP.

No That wasn't my intention, only pointing out that obviously if we lived in UK and proved habitual residence then as British citizens we would get free hospital treatment, but although we are Brirish citizens in our case we aren't eligible. Therefore just because you are a British citizen you are not automatically eligible for free treatment.

Totally agree the OP's scenario is different.

We didn't even have to do one, is it online or something ? We knew they existed but it never came up when we arrived. I would imagine a few weeks is all it would take realistically though.

We had to prove residency when enrolling with GP after returning from abroad. Not hard though, council tax and utility bills seem to do the trick.

We had to prove residency when enrolling with GP after returning from abroad. Not hard though, council tax and utility bills seem to do the trick.

I don't recall doing anything, when we registered with our GP we told we had come over from Australia and we were British citizens. Yeah by the sounds of things it's easy enough.

Archived