Facebook hackers

starlight7

Someone on facebook has pinched a picture of me and is using it as their log in photo. They are also asking my current friends to be friends with them for whatever reason. I am getting really peed off with facebook, the security just isn't there even when you have 'high' privacy settings! Anyone else had probs with them?

I get a request from cloned Facebook pages of friends every couple of months. There is no reason a friend would make a second request. There is little that Facebook seem able or willing to do.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Someone on facebook has pinched a picture of me and is using it as their log in photo. They are also asking my current friends to be friends with them for whatever reason. I am getting really peed off with facebook, the security just isn't there even when you have 'high' privacy settings! Anyone else had probs with them?

I'm a very private person and the thought of facebook gives me the shudders. Sure I realise it has something like a billion folk using it and it's for communicating with your close friends and family blah blah blah but count me out.

Same thing has happened to my cousin recently. I just reported the page and so did many of his other friends and it was taken down within minutes. I make my profile picture viewable by friends only. You can't do anything about your cover photo as it's always public so I try and make that something quite innocuous that doesn't actually identify me, usually a landscape.

Why do they do it ?

Identity theft has many uses to the criminal fraternity.

Quite simply in the Facebook example, they gain the trust of your friends network which in turn could expose your friends to identity theft too. Think about how easy it might be for a message to appear in your friends feed which they think is from you, they click on that link to "an old school photo" and BOOM! Their PC is now ransom-locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 2009 my Facebook was hacked by an angry and disgruntled employee...As an HR manager I had been someone who had been a major part of his employment termination because he was not a nice person and totally useless at his role. He was someone my employer had sponsored on an RSMS visa, and although he fitted all the criteria for a suitable employee and had apparently interviewed well in UK, he was a total feral and he did not perform his role in any way, shape or form. After 6 months his employment was terminated, and he used his IT knowledge to hack into my personal Facebook account and caused problems for me. Fortunately I was supported 100% by my employer, and whose IT department tracked this loser and dealt with him. I had the option of a private prosecution for identity theft, but I finally chose not to go there because the tosser who did finally get his visa granted with PR has found it so hard to get a job and to this day is still only getting casual contracts occasionally. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson... because he is in a very small niche area and everyone he applies to for jobs have already heard about him.... Karma is so wonderful!!!!

Privacy setting should stop this from happening in the first place.

If you set your settings so that your profile is only visible to friends and you cab't be searched then you should be safe from this type of thing.

You accepted a FB request from a hacker, basically.

Then, as a 'friend' you have opened everything up to them for them to copy, and then (re)send more friend requests to everyone in your friends lists.

They'll then bulk message everyone saying that 'you' are in financial difficulty, and need money.

What you should do, is when sent a request from someone already in your friends list, is make sure it's them before accepting.

You can also flag the account as a scam, and FB will take it down in minutes.

Privacy setting should stop this from happening in the first place.

If you set your settings so that your profile is only visible to friends and you cab't be searched then you should be safe from this type of thing.

Doesnt always work that way though Parley.... now and again for some reason, the privacy settings change..... Rarely use FB myself now and my settings are at the max privacy possible.

Doesnt always work that way though Parley.... now and again for some reason, the privacy settings change..... Rarely use FB myself now and my settings are at the max privacy possible.

So one would have to keep re-setting privacy? even the max possible? how often should we do this do you reckon?

now and again for some reason, the privacy settings change

Usually when new functionality is released, and they set it to the default.

But the core settings don't change.

But it's simple to not get hacked. If "Bob" asks to be friends, but you thought you already were, pick up the phone and call "Bob".

(or, check the wall history, usually there will only be posts from seconds ago, with no history - the same goes for the "win tickets from Qantas" BS that happens. No history = new account).

Either it's them and accept, or it's not and use the report function and FB will stopp the process immediatly. FB will just delete the profile, stopping others getting tricked too.

First of all you need to follow this link - https://www.facebook.com/help/174210519303259

2nd inform all your friends it's a fake profile

next lock your profile down so no one who's your friend can see your pics, search you, friend you etc, if another profile, crops up you know it's either one of your friends or the person who faked it initially.

and as stated before get your friends to decline and report as fake, also the way I view fb is almost everyone has an acc, so if it was creted recently has a couple friends from another country normally africa I decline, I also know no one in africa.

Good luck.

Usually when new functionality is released, and they set it to the default.

But the core settings don't change.

But it's simple to not get hacked. If "Bob" asks to be friends, but you thought you already were, pick up the phone and call "Bob".

(or, check the wall history, usually there will only be posts from seconds ago, with no history - the same goes for the "win tickets from Qantas" BS that happens. No history = new account).

Either it's them and accept, or it's not and use the report function and FB will stopp the process immediatly. FB will just delete the profile, stopping others getting tricked too.

Yep know all that..... but I am amazed at the number of people who just have an open page with little or no security

So one would have to keep re-setting privacy? even the max possible? how often should we do this do you reckon?

I just check mine out every week or two to make sure it is still set at maximum privacy... had to change it a couple of times in the past few months because it had defaulted back. I also don't use any personal photos of me or my family as my profile pic so people can't recognise me through a search.

Archived